Cleaning spinner

I have deep stains/scratches/blemishes on the spinner of my 2000 M20R.  I believe it is composed of aluminum but not sure.  What is the best method to clean?  I tried vinegar solution without any improvements.  I was thinking maybe a steel wool but didn't want to cause more damage than good.

IMG_5504.jpeg

Steel wool will really screw it up.    Some people like a purple product.  I use Mguires metal polish.  It is alum and needs an alum polish.   Shiney spinner will add several knots to your speed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are many terrific metal polishing products available, as being offered up on this thread.

My product experience for over 50 years has been Happich Simichrome.

Removing deep scratches will require a much different technique beyond simply polishing the spinner.  You can certainly discover those via a YouTube search.

DFEC4EC3-13B6-41DA-991D-CDE97690C961.jpeg

Welcome aboard Lee...

Put the steel wool down...  that can’t possibly be good for cleaning anything made of aluminum....

Spinners are polished aluminum... follow the guys giving advice for various polishes... taking out scratches is a bit tougher, more steps...

What causes scratches is differences in hardens... many engine timing devices get mounted on the prop... done carefully, no scratches are left behind... done carelessly, lots of scratches...

Best regards,

-a-

15 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

I just start the engine, run it to full power then hold the polishing pad onto the chrome... I really lean into it too, the added pressure seems to really get it to shine.

(yes I am joking, please dont do this)

Full power run up, take a sack of crushed walnut shells soaked in polish and meter slowly into the air in front.  Bonus action:  cleans nicks off the propeller leading edges too.

also a joke

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, PeytonM said:

Thumbs up for the Purple polish. I’ve done Flitz, and this was easier. I’m curious how long it’ll last. (Yep that’s me, distorted reflection, don’t you know!)

BC6D8342-F77E-42BC-9014-5EF0B56AD60F.jpeg

Here's mine, freshly done and again after 4-1/2 years with only periodic wiping, no more polishing.

20150110_155116.thumb.jpg.1bad3bb9550a969be2d0aeb8fa1f55a3.jpg

20200708_203424.thumb.jpg.391ee6517552846e3ee7d05088602c73.jpg

Sorry I'm so lazy, I didn't even wipe it down before this picture last year . . . .

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Apologies for a slight thread hijack.  Any ideas what could cause this damage?  Not the spinner itself, but the "closure" pieces at each prop blade.  Also, how to fix it.  Doesn't look like polish is going to take out those scratches.

image.thumb.jpeg.143de5d9bac5be0fa5aa06056e27293b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ff4caf911868a0fba5063ca8b8066c6e.jpeg

Has it been parked outside with a cover that could slap that region in the wind?   

3 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Has it been parked outside with a cover that could slap that region in the wind? 

Not on my watch, but it came with a full set of covers for almost the entire airplane.  But I would expect that what you are describing would also damage the spinner.  The spinner itself could certainly use some of the polish products mentioned in this thread, but has no serious damage like the three "filler" pieces -- one behind each prop blade.

17 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Apologies for a slight thread hijack.  Any ideas what could cause this damage?  Not the spinner itself, but the "closure" pieces at each prop blade.  Also, how to fix it.  Doesn't look like polish is going to take out those scratches.

image.thumb.jpeg.143de5d9bac5be0fa5aa06056e27293b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ff4caf911868a0fba5063ca8b8066c6e.jpeg

Probably from the top cowling everyrime it was installed and was dropped on the spinner.

• Like 1