66' M20E Instrument Panel

Take a look at modern switches for ELTs... and mimic them...

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/acke-04rc11-15078.php

Looks like the switch was not standard, but is now...

wait....  I Don’t have it right in this pic either...   :)

Some show a push to test button...

mine has a two or three position switch, I believe...

Overall, it is either On, Armed, or testing....

It is never off...   hmmmm...

Do a search for Artex, or ACK ELTs for examples....

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, drapo said:

Think about protecting your master avionics switch. Mine was located just about there also, and in turbulence, changing transponder code, I killed the avionics with my hands as it went down from a moderate bump:(... I installed a protective cover after that event ;)

That’s a good point. Do you think the location shown in your quoted pic is bad?  Down by fuse alley?

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Take a look at modern switches for ELTs... and mimic them...

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/acke-04rc11-15078.php

Looks like the switch was not standard, but is now...

wait....  I Don’t have it right in this pic either...   :)

Some show a push to test button...

mine has a two or three position switch, I believe...

Overall, it is either On, Armed, or testing....

It is never off...   hmmmm...

Do a search for Artex, or ACK ELTs for examples....

Best regards,

-a-

Stock the 66’ had an ELT switch in the top of the pilot side panel. My question is if I can delete it now since it seems that someone installed one of these ack ones by the co pilot headphone jack. Strangely the wires are still there...but they must not go anywhere. 

• Like 1

Nuke,

Is your ELT 406MHz?

You May be able to toss the extra old stuff...

You may be looking at getting a new 406 ELT...

At annual, the mechanic reviews the battery life... having chase your excess wires isn’t much work...

If you chase the wires first and find the extra switch is indeed extra... pulling all the excess wires and switches is a great idea...

It really helps to have a mechanic to work with... you get to know him... he gets to know you...things get really good after that...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Nuke,

Is your ELT 406MHz?

You May be able to toss the extra old stuff...

You may be looking at getting a new 406 ELT...

At annual, the mechanic reviews the battery life... having chase your excess wires isn’t much work...

If you chase the wires first and find the extra switch is indeed extra... pulling all the excess wires and switches is a great idea...

It really helps to have a mechanic to work with... you get to know him... he gets to know you...things get really good after that...

Best regards,

-a-

I have some great mechanics that I work with. However, they don’t have as much time available as I have and don’t take kindly to regular text messages with questions each night. That what I have you guys for. Lol

My questions or typically for planning purposes. Not planning on pulling wires and stuff until my IA is in the know. In this case I was wondering if I needed that ELT switch hole if I make a new pilot panel. 

I would go with no... the modern ELTs have all the switches in there mini annunciator panel... switch, light and whatever else they need...

The only thing I can think that you want to know...

In the event you have an Off airport landing... when you shut the master off... does it shut off the ELT too?

Hit the test button with the master off to see what it does... does the light go on?

You don’t want to accidentally turn off your post accident help getter...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

Lastly, does anyone know what diameter scat tubes these are?

D6250C3B-19A2-4A01-8587-47055F299894.jpeg

Scat duct(orange colour) and Cat duct(black colour) are sized by 1/4” increments.  A -4 would be 1” diameter etc.

The ELT switch in the pilots panel looks like an orphan, the ACK switch should be connected to your ELT via a phone cord.  It may also have a wire set to your GPS.  No ships power is required to power the ELT, however loss of power would stop GPS communication with the ELT.

Clarence

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

I would go with no... the modern ELTs have all the switches in there mini annunciator panel... switch, light and whatever else they need...

The only thing I can think that you want to know...

In the event you have an Off airport landing... when you shut the master off... does it shut off the ELT too?

Hit the test button with the master off to see what it does... does the light go on?

You don’t want to accidentally turn off your post accident help getter...

Best regards,

-a-

The small ACK ELT panel appears to have only 1 telephone wire that goes directly to the ELT in the back with a large battery.  I think the unit is isolated from the plane entirely.  It doesn't even know its in an airplane. lol

We are going to annual it when the engine comes back so the battery and all will be tested.

Thanks for the advice.  Always welcome.  I'm still learning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Scat duct(orange colour) and Cat duct(black colour) are sized by 1/4” increments.  A -4 would be 1” diameter etc.

The ELT switch in the pilots panel looks like an orphan, the ACK switch should be connected to your ELT via a phone cord.  It may also have a wire set to your GPS.  No ships power is required to power the ELT, however loss of power would stop GPS communication with the ELT.

Clarence

I see...

The co-pilot side has been replaced with the black stuff.  I wonder if either is ok in this location?  I'll have to drop my calipers down there next time and round to the nearest 1/4".

On the ACK...that is in fact what I'm seeing.  Thanks

17 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

That’s a good point. Do you think the location shown in your quoted pic is bad?  Down by fuse alley?

Used to be below the transponder, I moved it down low, next to prop control but kept the protection.

image.png.fca5931f408b2bee759009bb6ad23431.png

On 5/28/2020 at 2:36 PM, Nukemzzz said:

Fixed it!814552835_CopilotPanelJoke.thumb.png.3dfea6d37280ce6d941b3c899a61f58c.png

So I had a ram ball mounted on the right panel as well, the plan was to put the mini Ipad there. (as I assume is the case for you)

Mine didn't work out, I could never get the correct angle to suit me, and is was distracting reaching that far to interact with foreflight.  I scrapped that idea and put together a yoke mounted version on the pilot side. 

9 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

I see...

The co-pilot side has been replaced with the black stuff.  I wonder if either is ok in this location?  I'll have to drop my calipers down there next time and round to the nearest 1/4".

On the ACK...that is in fact what I'm seeing.  Thanks

Either would be OK for the temperature of the air flowing through them.

Clarence

3 hours ago, MARZ said:

So I had a ram ball mounted on the right panel as well, the plan was to put the mini Ipad there. (as I assume is the case for you)

Mine didn't work out, I could never get the correct angle to suit me, and is was distracting reaching that far to interact with foreflight.  I scrapped that idea and put together a yoke mounted version on the pilot side. 

I’m actually planning to use the full iPad.  Basically with one edge just right of radios. Not sure exactly. I need to take the iPad out and play around. 

The issue with the iPad mini is the text is the same size as the phone. The full size iPad makes things a little bigger. 

Used to be below the transponder, I moved it down low, next to prop control but kept the protection.

Noticed that handy dandy fire extinguisher. Can you drop a link and some pictures/details on the mounting process?

On 6/15/2020 at 4:58 PM, drapo said:

You don't worry about bumping it while adjusting the prop?  Your hand is there more often then the Transponder right?

1 hour ago, Tahir K said:

Noticed that handy dandy fire extinguisher. Can you drop a link and some pictures/details on the mounting process?

It’s a pretty standard brackett, I’m flying tomorrow, I’ll try to take some pictures!

38 minutes ago, Nukemzzz said:

You don't worry about bumping it while adjusting the prop?  Your hand is there more often then the Transponder right?

I don’t play much with the propeller control, especially in turbulence, I’ll it the throttle first. But I kept the protector anyway, just in case!

On 6/16/2020 at 5:15 PM, Tahir K said:

Here are the pictures, as I said, the bracket is the standard one and is attached to the subframe underneath the panel.

IMG_2863.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update... keep digging my hole deeper and deeper.  Trying to figure out where to put the HSI.  Looks like it can only fit where it currently is located or one column to the left.  It won't fit left of the yoke under the new AI location.  This thing is huge and 4lbs!  It is nice that it has electric gyros though.

It has a “converter box” on the back  really curious what this is for and if this is a capable model.  Like is it worth keeping?  Can it use a GPS track?

IMG_2576.thumb.JPG.9f53a294f11397421fbae5e35c821612.JPGIMG_9859.thumb.JPG.8d8376a37e0c0263c9b15f609917b9c4.JPG

F3438A46-4F13-4B6C-A562-8800BC8313DF.thumb.jpeg.a70b25cd6a598d22960cd33c539e5bb6.jpeg3FC692EE-8538-4DBC-91A8-6E2A030B4197.thumb.jpeg.d4710b6150345d0f9b3576b7f6da8f50.jpeg

On 5/28/2020 at 12:04 AM, Andy95W said:

Personally, I would want the JPI as close to center as possible. It's the thing I look at most.  I also installed a warning light for the JPI alarm on the pilot's side.

IMG_2058.JPG

Andy,

What make/ model is the transponder in the top right corner?

Clarence

37 minutes ago, Nukemzzz said:

Update... keep digging my hole deeper and deeper.  Trying to figure out where to put the HSI.  Looks like it can only fit where it currently is located or one column to the left.  It won't fit left of the yoke under the new AI location.  This thing is huge and 4lbs!  It is nice that it has electric gyros though.

It has a “converter box” on the back  really curious what this is for and if this is a capable model.  Like is it worth keeping?  Can it use a GPS track?

I had the same Narco HSI in my last E model.  I was able to fit it and the AI centred above the control column stacked vertically.

Clarence

7 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I had the same Narco HSI in my last E model.  I was able to fit it and the AI centred above the control column stacked vertically.

Clarence

Do you have a picture of this Clarence?  So I can see if my holes are about the same as yours?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ab09.thumb.jpg.f73466759ad83ede9706b2f4fde6f9b7.jpg

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

I just checked again and it looks like it just might fit just left of yoke control tube. Fingers crossed!