66' M20E Instrument Panel

6 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

The co-pilot side should be easier to assemble. It’s current state is below. 

F313DF8A-F7BE-4162-80D3-E105209231AF.jpeg

0BEF8050-679D-424D-B11F-597237BD3F5C.jpeg

Just me, but I’d shorten the screws holding the tray and brackets to the panel.

Clarence

Stuffing all this in the hole while connecting everything and inserting breakers was tricky. Need to trim a little more behind the JPI but it’s almost in. 

I’m spending about a quarter of my time removing old wires that go nowhere. Like what I believe to be maybe a cable for an old ADF. Bundle is thicker than battery leads and runs all the way to the tail  

While hooking up the transponder I found my transponder antenna wire had a different end. Had another for DME and used it instead. I think the antenna types themselves are the same. I left it so I can adapt it if needed  the DME antenna is close to COM2  

Found an oversight on my layout. Avionics master was too close to the USB. Had to move it while things were half installed. Sucks...I’ll have to find a plug. 

220EB4AC-0F26-4DA3-A612-817FDBBD9380.thumb.jpeg.a329611d5a59e86fb4dd40033a164dbc.jpeg

C75C5B8F-D4D4-4530-ACD3-1DBC257421FC.thumb.jpeg.7ebf40d03756bc0e7981305c2a55acd0.jpeg76772B3D-9E40-4317-B27D-3D5363B4685F.thumb.jpeg.1874fc3a5ac96f25998d148be3894723.jpeg3445B276-859E-40CD-88DA-9D34608C9DDE.thumb.jpeg.8925d9661e12a4f1de45ec0e1b04b825.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Not sure it’s grime, I think it is badly worn gold anodizing 

The gold scratcheS off even with light fingernail pressure and it’s white underneath. Thinking light scotch bright would make it all white?

I thought the gold color was anodizing... but having it come off like that after 50years...

Could be just a finish... Expect aluminum is hiding under there...

You might check with Alan to see what he has in inventory...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, Nukemzzz said:

The gold scratcheS off even with light fingernail pressure and it’s white underneath. Thinking light scotch bright would make it all white?

Be careful, there is a lot of silk screened labels on that piece 

• Like 2

Victory!  This was one time in my life that I was afraid I had bit off more than I could chew.  It was a battle to be sure. But it seems to have turned out. I still need to make the stickers and notices where they belong. Still need to finish connecting the pressure and vacuum lines, but this is easy work now. 

Upgrades:
-ADSB In/Out transponder
-Stratus AHRS
-Nulites around all of the gages instead of crummy posts lights. 
-Cleaned the inside of the tach gage. It was fogged up and hard to see. 
-Removed the old 2 1/4” Turn and Bank gage that was in the co-pilot side and useless and installed a fairly new Turn Coordinator on the pilot side. 
-Shielded USB plugs. 
-Circuit breakers all in a row. They were in random places on the far right of the co-pilot side and not well labeled. 
-Moved engine monitor closer. Put the warning light in front of the pilot. 
-Removed a bunch of wires left by lazy folks when they made changes. 
-Sweet master switch plate on the left that I found at Lowe’s. Lmao

Now...back to getting the engine in the plane. It should be back in about a week!

C636D6B0-C8FB-4261-9394-B66CA90C28EF.jpeg

63AA9CC4-57E4-4BBE-A4DA-56560D1F31DD.jpeg

3C0F83E0-8DE1-4297-8F0B-AF1C478E667C.jpeg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

Victory!  ...

63AA9CC4-57E4-4BBE-A4DA-56560D1F31DD.jpeg

You did a great job and new layout is much cleaner. I created similar panel on RHS but with all new primary engine monitor and fuel gauge so much simpler.

What will you use for labeling on panel, circuit brakes and such? Stickers would be ugly...

I used dry transfer lettering below but you would need to clearcoat them to be scratch resistant. I used thos with sucses both on old plastic overlay as well as new metal instrument panel.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/panelmarkset.php?clickkey=5719

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Immelman said:

Very, very nice.

I didn't read the whole thread but hope that when its back together you have brand new throttle & mixture control cables.

They are out because the engine is out getting a new case and DLC tappets. While out getting new cables. Lots going on. 

30 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

You did a great job and new layout is much cleaner. I created similar panel on RHS but with all new primary engine monitor and fuel gauge so much simpler.

What will you use for labeling on panel, circuit brakes and such? Stickers would be ugly...

I used dry transfer lettering below but you would need to clearcoat them to be scratch resistant. I used thos with sucses both on old plastic overlay as well as new metal instrument panel.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/panelmarkset.php?clickkey=5719

I’m going to try and make clear custom Vinyl labels with black lettering using my laser jet printer. Not sure if it will work. Thanks for the info. I might try that if this doesn’t work. 

• 2 weeks later...

So the laser printed clear labels turned out good I think. Maybe with age they won’t do so well but it was pretty easy. Allowed me to use a custom font and look.  I might stick a Mooney Logo on the far right.  The vintage one of course!

I think the panel is done now!

Side note: thinking about installing a box below the KX155 to store reference cards and things I’ll need often or in a hurry. 

490E70FA-2777-4F69-851C-6EA9BBC3016C.jpeg

1142B9C9-1E20-49D2-BCC1-D6D714F34314.jpeg

E4B266D5-9DED-400B-8458-364F65241C89.jpeg

CB647D89-F8F6-483F-8E23-7BD2DFB658E9.jpeg

• Like 1

After reading this thread about cleaning the switch sub panel I went out to my hanger and cleaned the panel with a Mr Clean magic eraser. It cleaned the yellow off beautifully and didn’t damage the print. I was surprised how fast it worked. Took all of 5 min to have it looking good and I can probably make it look better with more supplies to work the tight spots

• Like 1