Found in the hangar, what is it?

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I’m thinking it might be a lightning arrester core.

I'll post a closeup later, but that is a good guess given the amount of ConEd stuff the PO of my hangar left. He was a retired power crew foreman.

I thought it might be something off a landing gear :P.

18 hours ago, EricJ said:

Is any of the center of the yoke readable with a name or logo?

No, but it looks like it was imprinted with a triangular pattern...at first I thought it might be a Mooney-bird, but it isn't and there's no lettering or specific pattern visible.

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

Looks like what’s left of a 1950s to early 60s Cessna yoke. Appears  to have fire damage. Has the look of a morbid souvenir…

I took another pic of the end with what appears to be a sticker of some sort.F92B3C95-0FFA-427F-B7DC-A95D5EDA7D42.thumb.jpeg.a2cca0def638ae42857bc6c2dd4c8aeb.jpeg

Yuck!

That is gnarly….

bent, broken, and burned… bits of a post accident yoke….

What would make the hangar PO want to keep that memory around?

Upon closer inspection… you may find chest hair and shirt fibers left in the cracked coating… a quick DNA test may reveal the tail Number of the plane… using flightAware…

Grizzly PP thoughts only, not a DNA expert…

Best regards,

-a-

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

What would make the hangar PO want to keep that memory around?

LOL, I've often said "Jeez, if I could just have 30 minutes with him for questions." 

Two answers to your questions, in spite of the fact 'we may never know'.

One, he is dead and two, he did not die in a plane crash.

Any bio matter on that yoke, if that is what it is, has long been cleaned off by the many scavengers that call my hangar home.

Shirt fibers, maybe, but I was hoping for structural interpretation of what it is, not forensic.

So much is revealed by these posts...not of the mysterious objects, but more so the posters.

Anyway, time to query the neighborhood.

Best regards,

-HRM-

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I think it is part of a HV disconnect that had an arc flash incident.

Fascinating. The ConEd connection again. Good sleuthing, thanks!

Some of my former students design substations, time to pass it by one of them.

Edited by HRM

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Did he ever get to pull a plane out of high tension wires?

Odd thing that comes to mind… :)

Best regards,

-a-

No way to know. We bought the place from his widow, he had been gone for three years or so  and she really had no idea about anything other than he retired from ConEd. I am not even sure which aircraft he had other than Cessna and Piper over the years.

10 hours ago, Nokomis449 said:

...those "pucks", as you call them, are definitely useless trash and I'll pay you $10 plus shipping for the lot.

LOL, those are Lord Landing Gear Shock Disks out of a Mooney '66 E. Hardly useless trash and of high sentimental value. 

12 minutes ago, Nokomis449 said:

Yeah they appear to be in much better shape than what I currently have on my '68 G and boy are those things pricey - thus the "sarcasm" tag (/s).

I am wondering if the disks can be 'reconditioned'. I wondered that at the time these were replaced, which was about 8 years ago. These have had time to expand, if they even do so, since they are no longer under compression. The difference in landing was noticeable with the new ones. So the question is, if you pulled yours off (no small feat!) and then let them relax in a rubber restorative bath, would the process buy more time?

Alternatively, jack up the plane to take the weight off, spray the pucks with 'a rubber restorative' and see what happens. When these were on my E they had reached their serviceable limit.

I've wondered the same thing.  Many years ago I was in a mom-n-pop parts store and on the counter they had two rubber washers, one outside a jar of magic liquid and one immersed in the liquid.  The one in the jar had swollen to twice its size.  Can't help but wonder what changes it would make to the strength/composition/ etc., but I think about that jar every time I price the pucks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jacenbourne said:

I'm going with old Cessna control yokes, the angle, width, curve and location of the tube all match up with it:

I agree and apparently Anthony @carusoam was prescient about the morbidity of it.

There is a triangular sticker, not unlike the old 'Mooney Bird Decal' with what looks to be a blue and red rectangular banner most likely with the model designation which was lost in the heat.