Found in the hangar, what is it?

OK, so there's a different hangar thread about what you need in a hangar, this is for what you find in them. My 'new' (to me) hangar was full of god-knows-what because the PO died three years before his widow sold the house. After her (grown) kids took what they wanted, and none of them were aviators, she left the rest. I have scored a lot of good 'junk' not to mention enough rivets to build an airplane, clecos too! Occasionally as I work through everything I stumble on things that I have no idea what they are. Keep in mind that this includes stuff not only from aviation. 

OK, anybody know what this is?

623996440_Weirdthingie.thumb.JPG.076141f1b53ec1bb24a5cc425b306417.JPG

That is A hangar hanger....

fashioned from other parts... like a battery cable... (the teeth bight into the soft lead)

its repurposing, left the teeth in an un harming position...

What it was used for was to hang a... (fill in the blank)

PP WAG only, what else ya got in there?

I need to remember to clean out my junk drawer before becoming unable... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Nick Pilotte said:

Flip it around and get a couple pictures of the wrench head, one from this side and one from the other.  I know I’ve seen that somewhere before but I have no idea why it’s U shaped. 

It is a wrench of some sort, like you, I think I have seen one before, but I can't remember either.

4 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

I say it was something he needed, and from the looks of it he used it a lot :D

THAT'S what's bothering me. Is it for something critical on the property, or was it for one of his airplanes. He had a Piper at one point and then later a Cessna. Keep in mind that this guy loved electricians tape--he wrapped every handle he touched with it.

Also, his oldest boy was into cars, found a lot of car stuff, so this could be automotive. They also had a boat, so it could be marine. Let's face it, a hangar is just a huge garage for an airplane, but that does not mean that the other toys can't coexist with it :rolleyes:

Marine use... that would be a life ring holder/bracket...

Proper dimension, Holds the ring in place, ready to use... :)

People born in the 30s liked electrical tape used around tool handles.... in the 70s...

PVC was better than wood... for the interface....  in this case... PVC was good for not scratching things...

it also gave things a nice shiny black surface instead of an old rusty look...

Best regards,

-a-

2B333E3A-6C24-4D2D-9646-19A7AF6D7A3D.jpeg

• Haha 1

I think I’ve got it.  We have an old Laister sailplane at my Dad’s house.  I “think” that that wrench head was used to tighten or a fix wings together in the fuselage for assembly.  It looks like this one is modified to wrap around a leading edge a little, maybe for a one person assembly job.  I’m probably wrong but I swear I saw that kind of tool in the tool kit that is in the trailer. 

Hangars tend to be a catch all, as one moves out they tend to leave things that are no longer wanted. I’ve been in my hangar for 8 or so years (owned it for 2+ yrs). A lot of stuff was thrown out over the years and there is still crap that I have no idea who’s it was

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

Marine use... that would be a life ring holder/bracket...

Certainly a workable theory for the handle part, but the wrench itself is what I am wanting an ID on.

9 hours ago, Nick Pilotte said:

I think I’ve got it.  We have an old Laister sailplane at my Dad’s house.  I “think” that that wrench head was used to tighten or a fix wings together in the fuselage for assembly.  It looks like this one is modified to wrap around a leading edge a little, maybe for a one person assembly job.  I’m probably wrong but I swear I saw that kind of tool in the tool kit that is in the trailer. 

Interesting theory, but I am fairly sure there was not a sailplane in the history of the hangar. It is absolutely a wrench of the kind not unlike the spanners used to remove the backs of high-end watches (Breitling, Rolex, etc.), but this one has 10 teeth.

11 minutes ago, philip_g said:

I don't understand how we got from the pic above to a bung wrench

It may also be called a "plug wrench". The plug (or bung for that matter) is basically a threaded disk that seals a hole in a container. The disk has holes in it that the wrench engages with its teeth, so basically you have a flat profile when the container (a wing tank) is sealed.

2 hours ago, philip_g said:

I don't understand how we got from the pic above to a bung wrench

The wrench in question is an integral part of the contraption in the picture, I believe.  Held together with electric, not duct, tape.

My guess is it was used to tighten a B nut on something that had a rod or wire coming through it. The dogs either fit in indentations on the nut face or engage the nut sides and the U clears the item coming through. The oddly shaped handle is because clearance was close and this allowed manipulate of the wrench clear of the panel.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

What do you use it for? 

Came with the hangar...and at one time belonged to ConEd. The PO was an electrical crew chief of some sort. I have enough stuff in the hangar to rewire the local grid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N201MKTurbo said:

BTW, How do you get your plane through that little bitty hangar door?

I was tempted to say 'folding wings', but that's the 'back' door (house side), here's the other side: 57818518_MooneyinHangar.thumb.JPG.c67db4da5d8f08631b97da483767bcfe.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...