Painted aft fuselage battery area

Finally make some headway on my 1964 m20e.  I was cleaning the interior of the aft fuselage. I noticed the bay immediately  behind the access panel was all painted black. All the other bays going aft were not painted. I am guessing because the battery is located in that area it was painted to prevent corrosion from acid spill or gases. Black sure makes it difficult to see anything. 

I'm cleaning out that bay, was thinking about not painting  just acf50 or prime and paint with a lighter color.

What does your Mooney  look like behind the large access panel?

Thanks 

Glenn

20200525_133315.jpg

Edited by Hradec
Typo

what’s the white salty Looking stuff in the pic, dried battery acid?

Some are painted in a nice light green anti-ox coating... (My 65 M20C)

Some are shiny alclad looking... (My 94 O)

My battery in the tail has hold downs where the battery is held down with an aluminum plate... the top of the battery has a hose connected to it for acid overflow.... Specific battery model number/design for this attribute...

Gel-cel batteries are much better technology regarding the chances of Experiencing acid overflow...

Do you have a Concorde battery yet?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

12 hours ago, Hradec said:

Finally make some headway on my 1964 m20e.  I was cleaning the interior of the aft fuselage. I noticed the bay immediately  behind the access panel was all painted black. All the other bays going aft were not painted. I am guessing because the battery is located in that area it was painted to prevent corrosion from acid spill or gases. Black sure makes it difficult to see anything. 

I'm cleaning out that bay, was thinking about not painting  just acf50 or prime and paint with a lighter color.

What does your Mooney  look like behind the large access panel?

Thanks 

Glenn

20200525_133315.jpg

The black paint is acid proof paint applied for corrosion prevention.  It looks like the shelve is corroded when lazy maintainers placed the caps from the battery there.

Most people use Concord batteries for their improved qualities, spill proof being among the reasons.

Clean and neutralize the area with warm water and baking soda until there is no more reaction with the acid spills.  You can remove the paint and repaint with zinc chromate or epoxy primer once everything is dry.

Clarence

Currently a Concord battery installed.  The whole area was painted black. Bulkhead, belly, half of  the bottom of the hat rack, shelves. Was this done at the factory? So nasty and dark back there, was thinking about painting white or silver.

Edited by Hradec
Typo

My M20C had the battery on the fire wall...

One annual... we found the battery box Had been eaten By acid...

It got a good coating of acid proof paint with the repairs...

Battery acid in the tail... go sealed batteries... just too much risk of the acid eating through expensive aluminum parts back there...

Best regards,

-a-