What Size Tub for a Tail Weight?

5 hours ago, EricJ said:

I've not heard the 50-year caveat before.    Where did that come from?   Was there associated advice about tying the aircraft down for a storm with or without the tail tie down after 50 years?

Fifty years after they said use the tail tie down, they took it back. 2010? 2011? Thereabouts. 

On 5/25/2020 at 3:50 PM, EricJ said:

My IA uses about 200 lbs of stacked concrete block.    They're much easier to move around than a tub full of concrete.   I'm going to start using a Harbor Freight 1klb dolly with blocks stacked on it.   That way the dolly and blocks can be moved around easily and repurposed when necessary.    I've seen people try to dispose of concrete tubs at the airport and it's not pretty.

I took your suggestion and it works well.  I reinforced a Harbor a Freight furniture dolly with a 2x10 underneath and 1 x 4’s I had on hand across the top with an eye bolt up the center.  Stacked 15 2 x 12 x 12 concrete blocks.  Worked great and when the time comes to move it, a crane won’t be necessary.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Be sure to check carefully to see if you have enough weight to hold the tail down as you AND another person go to sit in the airplane. Usually only one is needed inside to do the gear check but sometimes 2 wind up in there

You don't want any surprises when it happens.

I once saw the aftermath of a 707 dropping off the jacks It ain't pretty. 

I have a rolling cart of heavy metal (lead? depleted uranium?) weights I inherited with the plane. They’re juuust enough weight at the tie down. I usually throw a case of oil and a couple old batteries in the baggage bin for good measure. Not as effective as if they were back at the tail tie down, but it spreads the stress a little. 

• Like 1