Need a new panel it’s time. But I have ???????’s

I would really like to upgrade the panel after this summer. And based on what I’ve read an seen I think the G3x is the way to go. But I’d like to not spend 50 amu’s on this project. So if I go with the G3x with the G5 backup, find a used gtn 750 ( they seem to be out there now) can I still use the s tec 50 autopilot. It seems I would save a fortune not upgrading to the GFC 500?

help me spend my money, just not all of it.

Lawrence

My GFC500 was $13,800 installed (M20K). 2 axis with pitch trim, no yaw damper.  I think I've seen posts up near $18-20k but there are cheaper ways to do it.

The G3X WILL drive 3rd party autopilot, but the annunciations on the display won't work: you'll need to keep the old annunciator.

46 minutes ago, PJClark said:

My GFC500 was $13,800 installed (M20K). 2 axis with pitch trim, no yaw damper.  I think I've seen posts up near $18-20k but there are cheaper ways to do it.

The G3X WILL drive 3rd party autopilot, but the annunciations on the display won't work: you'll need to keep the old annunciator.

That is more than 10k cheaper than I had been hearing - what did that include?  remove the old autopilot?  Did you already have a driver head like a G5 or is a G5 (or two?) included (surely not)?

Still I am very impressed -13.8 is much much lower than the 25-30 I have been expecting for a GFC500+2 G5 plus remove old autopilot I was presuming.

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

That is more than 10k cheaper than I had been hearing - what did that include?  remove the old autopilot?  Did you already have a driver head like a G5 or is a G5 (or two?) included (surely not)?

@aviatoreb I had it done when the whole panel was done--included removal of the whole KFC200 system. My quote/contract showed the GFC separately priced with that number. But of course I also did the G3X, G5, EDM900, GTX345R, and GTN750 at the same time.

what it included--everything.  control head, 3 servos (pitch, roll, and pitch trim) wiring, etc.

One thing though:  I noticed just before I "accepted" the quote that there was fine print saying the installer got to keep all the removed stuff. I'd sorta planned on selling the KFC200 myself, but I ended up just letting him keep all but the GDC-31, FS210, and the Rocket Engineering airspeed indicator (souvenir).  I'm sure if he keeps the stuff it reduces the price.

I also left it in Greeley, CO for 8 weeks to get this done...I think if you're willing to look for a really good price and don't care where you take it, you can do very well.