Garmin G5

Welcome aboard Mr. Rabbit...

How about a pic from Garmin showing the Glide Slope on the display...

I’m only guessing... but the GS on some modern devices like an HSI... is only a marker that moves up and down related to your altitude compared to the GS... and it only becomes active when receiving a valid signal...  :)

Hard to show in ads until it receives a signal.... and they always want to show a plane tracking the GS perfectly...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

5C6B781E-F779-48A3-BB9D-21096B7F97D8.jpeg

D05C3E77-3C78-47F0-8AC2-F94115124A37.jpeg

4 hours ago, Peter Rabbit said:

Has anyone had experience with a Garmin G5 as a glide slope indicator?

Did you find it accurate enough?

Was it easy to use?

I'm puzzled that Garmin doesn't list "glide slope" as a G5 feature.

THANKS!

My G5 does show GS, but it is only a tiny marker. You need good vision ;-) and - I went back to the big indicator.

Kind of off topic, but along these lines, not only does the AI show the glideslope (GS), it shows the course and course deviation (CDI) too.

I actually went out VFR and flew a raw data ILS using just the AI (but checking the HSI to make sure I was doing it correctly).  90% AI, 10% HSI.  Turn to center the CDI.  When it centers, turn to line up the magenta track triangle on the heading tape with the green (magenta for an RNAV) vertical hash mark on the heading tape.  You are now not only on course but you are flying a wind drift corrected heading.  Intercept the GS and track it just like you normally would.  Make corrections as you normally would.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Peter Rabbit said:

Has anyone had experience with a Garmin G5 as a glide slope indicator?

Did you find it accurate enough?

Was it easy to use?

I'm puzzled that Garmin doesn't list "glide slope" as a G5 feature.

THANKS!

Another happy g5 guy.  It works well.  Yeah, it’s relatively small, but it’s much better that the kcs55a it replaced as an hsi and the adi is plenty useable too.

All that said, I prefer how the gi275 fits into existing round panels.

Going from steam gauges to a dual G5, it’s incredible how much information is displayed on them.  Much of the information is small flags,  it’s really a matter of knowing what each means (for me it took awhile).  The GS is great and much more accurate than the old analog instrument.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bradp said:

Just keep in mind single G5 will not display vertical deviation. 

Dual G5 with a GAD29B will show vertical deviation (both GPS LPV GP and ILS GS)

I have a single G5 and it displays glidepaths and glideslopes just fine.   It'd drive my Century III down an approach just fine until the AP amp broke.

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

I have a single G5 and it displays glidepaths and glideslopes just fine.   It'd drive my Century III down an approach just fine until the AP amp broke.

Eric do you have a single G5 in the HSI position with a GAD29B? ... that would be the only circumstance where vertical info in presented.  A single G5 as an attitude indicator hooked up directly to a navigator by RS-232 or Mapmx won’t show VP or GS.

I should rephrase the above to clarify single G5 AI no joy. Single G5 set up as a HSI with a GAD29 will display. 

1 minute ago, bradp said:

Eric do you have a single G5 in the HSI position with a GAD29B? ... that would be the only circumstance where vertical info in presented.  A single G5 as an attitude indicator hooked up directly to a navigator by RS-232 or Mapmx won’t show VP or GS.

I should rephrase the above to clarify single G5 AI no joy. Single G5 set up as a HSI with a GAD29 will display. 

I don't know about a single G5 installation, but our dual G5 ADI displays course and glidepath bugs. I actually just hand flew an ILS raw data by watching the ADI.

Just now, Bob - S50 said:

I don't know about a single G5 installation, but our dual G5 ADI displays course and glidepath bugs. I actually just hand flew an ILS raw data by watching the ADI.

Yup all dual G5 installs with a GAD29B and an appropriate navigator will present vertical information.   

10 minutes ago, bradp said:

It's configured as an HSI, but you can switch it to being a PFD/AI and it still shows vertical guidance.    I've used it both ways.

• Like 2