Narco MK 12D TSO Display failure? Help...

So here is the story, this winter my Narco 12D started having display problems.  If I did not preheat the cabin the display did not read for maybe five minutes or so which was fine because by the time I was ready to go and the engine was warm it was ready.  Lately it has been getting worse and worse, temps having been in the 60's but the temperature does not seem to matter anymore.  If I pressed up on the front of the display it would light like it should so I could dial in the right frequencies then ten minutes or so into the flight it would come back on by itself.  I have been waiting for annual to get it pulled which is the second week of June do you guys have any recommendations on repair shop's for these old Narco's?  Other then the display the radio and Nav work awesome the radio is nice and crisp and seems to have awesome range so I would hate to have to give it up now.  Is this the common display failure mode that everyone talks about?  It seems odd to me that it would be the display because if I press up on the front of the display or down on the back of the radio it lights up and the NAV side does not miss a beat.  Any suggestions are welcome, thanks

-Chase

The common display problem for Narco radios was their plastic gears broke and the dials stopped working... :)

The radios soldiered on, you just had to count how many clicks you turned the knobs to know what frequency you were on...

What you are showing is a failure of the gas discharge display... typically a BK problem...

There is a guy that exchanges the BK displays for an identical LCD display...

Unfortunately, you got the last of the Narcos... the Ds for digital....

Narco closed up shop shortly after going digital...

Standby to see if somebody has better ideas...

It may be a good idea to see what is on @Alan Fox’s shelf, good stuff cheap... :)

I’m still bitter... my Narco display failed... the 50cent plastic gears needed to be changed... Narco wanted to OH the whole radio or something like that... all I wanted was the gears fixed... they went out of business with my radio still on their shelf... :)

Best regards,

-a-

I have a narco 121 vor/loc all in one. And a ky197 which would solve the nav com problem. No glidslope on the nav though. 

And the KY197 doesnt have a perfect display either. 

I dont have any wherewithal to help with a repair though. Just trying to sell old stuff. I'll give you a good price though :-)

On 5/25/2020 at 3:37 AM, Alan Fox said:

Big bummer , Digikey , finally sold off all of thier old stock.....   https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/vishay-dale/PD020D02505S51/541-1413-ND/2813334

Is this the p/n PD020D02505S51 ?

It seem they have it available for $189 on digikey while some others are even cheaper ($48). I wish BK displays are so cheap...