New PPL looking to meet Mooneyites in the Houston area, base is KDWH

SteveC

Hey guys, just received my ppl last month and started my instrument training. I’m a 50 years old, mechanical engineer, entrepreneur who has put a v8 in a Miata which some would say makes it fly but I’ve never worked on anything that actually flies.  My wife booked us a great seat at the air show last year and it was amazing!  I even got choked up and lost some hearing when a F35 vectored his thrust directly at us in a turn at approx 2000 feet away.  It was awesome! 

I’m getting serious about buying a plane or becoming partial owner.  So far my research is putting Mooney at the top.  I’m an efficiency ninja and the M20J is looking great for that.

My base is KDWH, is there anyone on here that flies out of Hooks with an M20 I could take a look at and maybe give some pointers? I met @MARZ a few weeks ago on the forum and he has been a wealth of information, great guy!  

Looking forward to making new friends and adding value in aviation.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Steve!

Is that a 5.0 you put in the Miata?  (Ford and Mazda have a common connection)

If you like vehicles that have a big engine shoe horned into a lightweight airframe...

Find the Missiles and Rockets....

A company called Rocket Engineering has done the Monster Miata trick to Mooneys...

You will want to build up your aviation experience before going that far....

:)

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks for the reply, yes it was a 5.0L Mustang v8 and sounded great with a stage II cam in it.  Had a 327 rear ended as well and it was a blast to drive.  

Super excited about getting in a Mooney and seeing how they fly!

E3899E85-CACA-4661-AAF0-8CA809D40DF1.jpeg

978CFEE1-5FD1-438C-AB76-C8040C8F4AFE.jpeg

08EEF8D2-C4EC-4BF5-8193-9586F66E4503.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveC said:

Hey guys, just received my ppl last month and started my instrument training. I’m a 50 years old, mechanical engineer, entrepreneur who has put a v8 in a Miata which some would say makes it fly but I’ve never worked on anything that actually flies.  My wife booked us a great seat at the air show last year and it was amazing!  I even got choked up and lost some hearing when a F35 vectored his thrust directly at us in a turn at approx 2000 feet away.  It was awesome! 

I’m getting serious about buying a plane or becoming partial owner.  So far my research is putting Mooney at the top.  I’m an efficiency ninja and the M20J is looking great for that.

My base is KDWH, is there anyone on here that flies out of Hooks with an M20 I could take a look at and maybe give some pointers? I met @MARZ a few weeks ago on the forum and he has been a wealth of information, great guy!  

Looking forward to making new friends and adding value in aviation.

Find a map here in the Forum. @gsxrpilot is the expert and curator. 

2 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

Find a map here in the Forum. @gsxrpilot is the expert and curator. 

Thank you!... I used to track a 750 Gixxer and a CBR1000... bought a Harley v-rod to slow me down.

Completely clueless as to what “find a map here in the Forum”, means?  @gsxrpilot please elaborate?

3B51EFA2-C1EC-4B3D-A13D-64F846B8BD09.jpeg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

I have that same picture of me for 30 years and on many different bikes. :):)

Hey guys, and Jolie, new guy Steve is OK  :)

Haha... thanks, I paid $100 for the poster but the guy never sent it.  At least I got the pic!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I am in Brenham with an F.  Currently in annual and finishing up paperwork.  

Brenham was one of my go to spots during my ppl cross country flights.  Do you hanger at hooks? 

On 5/24/2020 at 10:50 PM, SteveC said:

Brenham was one of my go to spots during my ppl cross country flights.  Do you hanger at hooks? 

No Sir.  The plane lives in Brenham.    We kind of float back and forth from Brenham and Houston.