Fresh air vent door on plane top - OOC? M20E

The fresh air vent on the top of my M20E moves freely. The selector nob on my ceiling rotates without affecting it. I'm assuming the mechanism is OOC.

Accessing for repair looks like a major pain (removing all window royalight and ceiling. Any advice?

IMG_4521.jpg

Advice?.... Get busy, it's not hard just a lot of work?.... If your lucky the cable came loose and won't need replaced. When I had ALL the interior out a few years back I lubed the pee-woddly crap out of mine

Find the threads...

They will be complete with pics...

And include info regarding the PVC drain tube that is connecting the vent to the bottom of the plane...

And things like horse hair filter material...

This may get you closer...  

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Ceiling vent control&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

This post has a good writeup. Thanks!

From CarolinaFlying

It has been a few years, but I used @rogrbal instructions above to complete my project. I added photos to his instructions with his permission and my comments are added in red. Hopefully this helps your next project if you have a similar problem!

MooneyOverheadFreshAirVentRepair-woPartsBD.docx.docx

The replacement wire, Stainless Steel Wire - 304- Spring back size .051":

https://www.mcmaster.com/stainless-steel-wire/multipurpose-304-stainless-steel/spring-back-multipurpose-304-stainless-steel-wire/

•  

On 5/24/2020 at 8:42 AM, Ross Taylor said:

Hey @Skydancer2992 - what year is your E?  Ours is a '66 and our roof vent looks exactly like the one in the write-up...essentially, a big flap/door that hinges up.  Your roof vent looks very different from ours.

Mine is 1964, #303. The bottom lip of the door doesn't let me pull it complete open, like in the writeup. I ordered the wire and it arrived. Now to find the time.

Just now, Skydancer2992 said:

Mine is 1964, #303. The bottom lip of the door doesn't let me pull it complete open, like in the writeup. I ordered the wire and it arrived. Now to find the time.

Yeah, that looks more challenging to access.   Thanks..and good luck!

If your vent scoop is flush with the aircraft skin, there’s an arm inside the air box that is attached to the scoop.  The arm has a retainer fitting and screw to attach the wire to the arm.  There are plugs in the air box, one of them for screw driver access to loosen the screw so the wire and be removed and the new wire installed.  It’s a challenge to thread the wire through the fitting, but it can be done without hacking the air box apart.  I had removed the scat tubes to replace them so could ‘kinda’ see inside what I was doing.  Kinda.  Soak the screw with some Kroil first thing you get the plug out.  If you strip the Phillips head on the screw, it could get ugly.  I happened to get busy on another project, for about a month, and when I came back the screw came out like butter.  Good luck!

tom

6E1036A8-E95B-4FF8-B777-48DBE6B3EFE5.jpeg

• Like 1