M20C Autopilot

Casey020

Hello,

I know this topic has been touched on in the past, but I haven’t seen any new information. 

I have a 1968 M20C and am wanting autopilot. Does anyone know a timeline for Garmin or true track? What older autopilot could I install in my plane? After flying IMC today in a plane with autopilot, I want it! I wouldn’t mind an old/dated autopilot. Can someone point me in the right direction, please? Old, new.., I just want autopilot now! Lol 

I have old Instruments and no GPS at this time. 

Thank you! 

Garmin posts their schedule for when they will get to your plane...

Trutrack is connected to BK... BK always say something like it will be done in the second quarter...

We don’t ever know which century their estimate is for...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't forget Dynon. Supposedly their autopilot is in the works for Mooney's as we speak. I'm holding out for that or the GFC 500. considering the true track won't fly an approach, that's out for me and sounds like the main reason this question was asked for the OP.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

There's always Brittain, that's what is in my C. They pop up for sale from time to time. Works well, inexpensive and AccuTrak will fly an approach pattern while you manage airspeed and altitude.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hank said:

There's always Brittain, that's what is in my C. They pop up for sale from time to time. Works well, inexpensive and AccuTrak will fly an approach pattern while you manage airspeed and altitude.

As a magenta line follower, the AccuTrak works well.  Unfortunately it is not approved for use in approaches.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

As a magenta line follower, the AccuTrak works well.  Unfortunately it is not approved for use in approaches.

Oops, I must have them confused. I have AccuTrak and AccuFlight. One is hooked to the heading bug and is great for going straight, especially for a long time; the other is slaved to my G430W and will fly a beautiful approach pattern, but requires active pilot management of altitude (or the pattern will be flown at whatever altitude you happen to be at, which can make for a difficult landing).

The control boxes are hard to confuse, though. Hey, look at the placard!  :)

20180530_211124.thumb.jpg.115037222757ca6d0b0aeed2b8f227bf.jpg

• Like 1

Casey....I can't tell you when Garmin will have the GFC500 certification complete, but I do know when the short body installation and testing is set to begin. I have the E model that they are going to use, and will be delivering it to them some time this week....weather permitting. Should be done by fall if I had to guess.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wes said:

Casey....I can't tell you when Garmin will have the GFC500 certification complete, but I do know when the short body installation and testing is set to begin. I have the E model that they are going to use, and will be delivering it to them some time this week....weather permitting. Should be done by fall if I had to guess.

Thank you very much! Please keep me/ all of us posted with the progress.

How does it work with them using your plane? I was going to offer my plane to them. Do they offer any discounts on equipment for the use of your plane? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Casey020 said:

Thank you very much! Please keep me/ all of us posted with the progress.

How does it work with them using your plane? I was going to offer my plane to them. Do they offer any discounts on equipment for the use of your plane? 

They deliver it for free with. No install costs or buying an autopilot.

• Like 1