Upgrade Advice

On 5/23/2020 at 2:02 PM, larryb said:

For the mission of LA, Salt Lake, Phoenix and Tahoe it seems to me that you would want a turbo airplane. Especially if you are going to do this on a schedule for business. An E can certainly do this, but speed and altitude are certainly going to be nice on that LA to Salt Lake run.

On 5/24/2020 at 2:23 PM, R-Banger said:

I was originally looking at the 252 before I decided E, but honestly the only flight I felt I wanted/needed a turbo was for hot days at Tahoe. Salt Lake is usually VFR, and if it's not, it's either convective or there is icing. I am originally from there and used to try to chase safe actual instrument time so I could get it in my logbook back when I flew for a living. If I wasn't in turbine or FIKI twin usually wasn't going to be doable.

Turbo for Tahoe, but SoCal to Salt Lake I don't think you need one. We've made the flight a lot of times. HEC-MMM-FFU and you can go at 9,500 on the way there and 10,500 on the way back. Phoenix you don't need the turbo either, no high rocks, the biggest ones are on either side of you through the Banning Pass but not an issue. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Turbo for Tahoe, but SoCal to Salt Lake I don't think you need one. We've made the flight a lot of times. HEC-MMM-FFU and you can go at 9,500 on the way there and 10,500 on the way back. Phoenix you don't need the turbo either, no high rocks, the biggest ones are on either side of you through the Banning Pass but not an issue. 

Yep, pretty much V21 the whole way and really uneventful VFR desert flying. I think you saw me at St. George last weekend, I got a message from Dustin. Small world!

1 hour ago, R-Banger said:

Yep, pretty much V21 the whole way and really uneventful VFR desert flying. I think you saw me at St. George last weekend, I got a message from Dustin. Small world!

Ah, you're the one who bought his plane, a very small world indeed! We were parked by you at U42 the beginning of the month and there was your plane again in St George when we got there on Saturday. 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so I did something...... My left fuel gauge is pegging empty, and the right is showing whatever it feels like. The oil temp is now becoming intermittent and is accurate depending on how many taps I give it. So JPI and Cies just got an order...... Going to throw in the EDM 900 and just be done with it. I am flying her 15 hours per month minimum so I will get plenty of use out of it over the next few years. 

• Like 2