Viva Las Vegas !

33 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

... no Hank.  It’s not for you.  It’s for all of us.  Masks are to slow the general transmission through the population to reduce the likelihood of a flare up.  If you happen to benefit from someone else wearing a mask the so be it.

Isn't that what I said? I wear a mask to protect you (is "ya'll" better?), and you wear a mask not to protect yourself but to protect me (all ya'll?).

'Cepting you made it specific to Mitch and I, while I was writing generically . . . . See, math makes a distinction, but English second and third person plural are the same words . . . .

Edited by Hank
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hank said:

So please wear your mask to protect me!

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Isn't that what I said?

If you say so.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

but English second and third person plural are the same words . . . .

I'm confused - So in English "me" is a second and third person plural word that mean the same thing?

Edited by aviatoreb

47 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

If you say so.

I'm confused - So in English "me" is a second and third person plural word that mean the same thing?

"You." Is it "you, Erik," or "all ya'll over there," or just "these folks in front of me at the walmart check out line"? Can't really tell, can you, Erik? I wear a mask to protect you, and you wear a mask to protect me. That fits everyone.

But I'm through debating miniscule points of grammar with a pedantic mathematician. Wear a mask to protect everyine around you, in case you are infected and don't know it. The no-symptoms crowd is rumored to be > 30% of all infections.

Or don't wear a mask and stay away from me in Sweet Home Alabama. 

Edited by Hank
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hank said:

"You." Is it "you, Erik," or "all ya'll over there," or just "these folks in front of me at the walmart check out line"? Can't really tell, can you, Erik? I wear a mask to protect you, and you wear a mask to protect me. That fits everyone.

But I'm through debating miniscule points of grammar with a pedantic mathematician. Wear a mask to protect everyine around you, in case you are infected and don't know it. The no-symptoms crowd is rumored to be > 30% of all infections.

Or don't wear a mask and stay away from me in Sweet Home Alabama. 

I am sorry to be a pedantic and confused mathematician, but playing through, so "me" means "you" as a second and third person plural in Alabama?  So if I come (again) to a Alabama BBQ and I say, me'all would that be the same as y'all?  I presume the ' acts as a contraction that transforms both the y into you and the me also into you? Me'all.  I've been several times to sweet home Alabama and I enjoyed it, but my Maryland born ear never picked that one up.  We say, "Merylin" as in Miss Monroe for our lovely state.  Which now that I think of it, must be "Me'Rlyn"?

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I am sorry to be a pedantic and confused mathematician, but playing through, so "me" means "you" as a second and third person plural in Alabama?  So if I come (again) to a Alabama BBQ and I say, me'all would that be the same as y'all?  I presume the ' acts as a contraction that transforms both the y into you and the me also into you? Me'all.  I've been several times to sweet home Alabama and I enjoyed it, but my Maryland born ear never picked that one up.  We say, "Merylin" as in Miss Monroe for our lovely state.  Which now that I think of it, must be "Me'Rlyn"?

So 10 hours ago my time was 10 PM.  That would be 11 PM EST.  Erik............  did you start drinking adult beverages to get through this pandemic? :lol:

(To be clear..... that was a joke!)

Tom

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

So 10 hours ago my time was 10 PM.  That would be 11 PM EST.  Erik............  did you start drinking adult beverages to get through this pandemic? :lol:

(To be clear..... that was a joke!)

Tom

Well I did have one beer.  But mostly I was in a silly mood.  That was all me and not much chemically enhanced silly.

e

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

"You." Is it "you, Erik," or "all ya'll over there," or just "these folks in front of me at the walmart check out line"?

I think what fits best is “all y’all”? But I’m a Yankee, so what do I know...
  • Haha 3

On 6/6/2020 at 5:55 PM, carusoam said:

Taking stabs (Intended or not) at people whether you are... 

• right
  • wrong
  • not showing a side
  • smarter than everyone
  • have more experience

Isn’t helpful for anybody...

ILC, you are invited to take this subtle behavior quirk somewhere else...

We can’t afford to lose MSers...

At the risk of also being asked to leave by Anthony, I'll point out the glaring contradiction in his post.    ILC questioned the ADM of aircrew that ignore and downplay scientific data.   @carusoam stated it was a "subtle behavior quirk", which was clearly a stab  (intended or not) at ILC and caused him to leave MS.   The community lost a clearly knowledgeable and highly informative MSer that, in my opinion, we couldn't afford to lose.   

Two questions:

We're now three weeks out since the discussion.   How is Arizona doing today? 

Is ILC's question of ADM 'out-of-bounds' for MS?

For Reference:  (from https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/media/04_phak_ch2.pdf )

Aeronautical decision-making (ADM) is decision-making in a unique environment—aviation. It is a systematic approach to the mental process used by pilots to consistently determine the best course of action in response to a given set of circumstances. It is what a pilot intends to do based on the latest information he or she has.

Edited by Seymour
Added reference to FAA's ADM pdf
  • Like 3

Seymour,

My apologies...

I have a tendency to try to keep people from attacking each other...

MS is on the internet, but it is not the internet...

ILC is an incredibly smart and outgoing personality...

It is very important to not take one’s strong and appreciated skills and run over other MSers along the way...

We run out of MSers at a high rate when this activity occurs...

Its possible that you didn’t see the running over...

General rule of thumb... don’t run people over... no matter how important your message is...

If the audience isn’t around to hear your message... or...

If the audience becomes an infighting session.... 

There are certain things that have a tendency to cause this effect...

It’s disappointzing when you hear... i don’t do MS because....

MS is a community of many people...  it has good days and some not so good days...

When everyone maintains respect for each other... MS grows...

When the respect is lost... things go cold quickly...

It takes everyone’s best effort to allow MS to grow...

About me...  I get things wrong... a lot!

Every day, I try to improve my skills... Daily.

Often, I miss the boat...

Often, with the help of MSers... I recognize my short comings...and edit the mistakes and move forwards...

I really enjoy being part of MS...

It is a wonderful community, made up of wonderful individuals... spread out over a large portion of the world...

For the health of the community... every MSer counts...

PP thoughts only, not a community organizer...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 4

For the record I was one of the people that ILC was having disagreements with and as a matter of fact we exchanged a few very informative and friendly messages between us.  I commented that I really appreciate his impact and experience even though we don't see eye to eye.  He was always respectful and I hope he logs in again and reads the comments of support for his contributions to this forum. We all have unique styles I know I rub a lot of you the wrong way but hey how much fun would it be if we were all alike, kind of boring if you ask me.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Seymour,

My apologies...

I have a tendency to try to keep people from attacking each other...

MS is on the internet, but it is not the internet...

ILC is an incredibly smart and outgoing personality...

It is very important to not take one’s strong and appreciated skills and run over other MSers along the way...

We run out of MSers at a high rate when this activity occurs...

Its possible that you didn’t see the running over...

General rule of thumb... don’t run people over... no matter how important your message is...

If the audience isn’t around to hear your message... or...

If the audience becomes an infighting session.... 

There are certain things that have a tendency to cause this effect...

It’s disappointzing when you hear... i don’t do MS because....

MS is a community of many people...  it has good days and some not so good days...

When everyone maintains respect for each other... MS grows...

When the respect is lost... things go cold quickly...

It takes everyone’s best effort to allow MS to grow...

About me...  I get things wrong... a lot!

Every day, I try to improve my skills... Daily.

Often, I miss the boat...

Often, with the help of MSers... I recognize my short comings...and edit the mistakes and move forwards...

I really enjoy being part of MS...

It is a wonderful community, made up of wonderful individuals... spread out over a large portion of the world...

For the health of the community... every MSer counts...

PP thoughts only, not a community organizer...

Best regards,

-a-

Gee whiz!!................how many Gold Stars can one fella receive here on MS?  I guess as many as his wall will hold........... :)

• Like 1

As much as the opposing party would like this state of chaos to continue til the election, the people are sick and tired of it!
Besides, where are all the sick people? From what I hear on the news, they should be everywhere! I can't find them anywhere!

Houston (America’s fourth largest city) reports ICUs are now full, Texas has reversed course due to never flattening the first wave, and Arizona is having a hard time.

Wow, this hasn’t aged well...
  • Sad 1

I was at an upscale Scottsdale eatery last night for the mother in laws birthday. The place was packed! Every bar stool was occupied. I told our waiter that he would get a better tip if he took off that stupid mask. He thanked me profusely and was holding it in his hand whenever he came after that. There was not a single patron wearing a mask!
I think our state is more advanced than most! Irrespective of our looser governor.
Come here for normalcy! 

So how is this looking today? Arizona has certainly “advanced”...into the lead of COVID hotspots. A physician friend tells me they’re repurposing non-COVID resources to support the spike in COVID patients.

I’m hopeful that you, your party, your waiter and all of the fellow diners (and your waiter) not only didn’t catch COVID despite not wearing a “stupid” mask, but that none of you need any other medical care that will now not be available locally because of all the COVID victims who didn’t want to wear their “stupid” masks, either.
  • Sad 1

I was at an upscale Scottsdale eatery last night for the mother in laws birthday. The place was packed! Every bar stool was occupied. I told our waiter that he would get a better tip if he took off that stupid mask. He thanked me profusely and was holding it in his hand whenever he came after that. There was not a single patron wearing a mask!
I think our state is more advanced than most! Irrespective of our looser governor.
Come here for normalcy! 

So how is this looking today? Arizona has certainly “advanced”...into the lead of COVID hotspots. A physician friend tells me they’re repurposing non-COVID resources to support the spike in COVID patients.

I’m hopeful that you, your party, your waiter and all of the fellow diners (and your waiter) not only didn’t catch COVID despite not wearing a “stupid” mask, but that none of you need any other medical care that will now not be available locally because of all the COVID victims who didn’t want to wear their “stupid” masks, either.
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, N9201A said:

I was in Long Beach and Avalon last weekend. You Californians cheat worse than the Arizonans.

• Sad 1

So, I actually got the COVID. I hope you are all happy!

It was the biggest nothing burger of all time. Other than the over the top hassle everyone caused me because of it.

The day after my last fever I skated 12 miles, the last 3 were a chore, but I'm back up to speed now.

If any Mooneyspacers want my plasma, let me know, I'm here for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

It was the biggest nothing burger of all time. Other than the over the top hassle everyone caused me because of it.

The day after my last fever I skated 12 miles, the last 3 were a chore, but I'm back up to speed now.

I'm glad you are well and it was a nothing burger for you.  For others it kills.  I have known some.  To you and your health and your family, and to everyone here.

• Like 1

Rich are you O+?

MS blood bank services...

Available at a Mooney fly-in near you...

Free C19 testing...

Antibody concoctions made to order...

That would get the fly-ins back on the schedule. :)

The test I would like to have... to find out what my reaction to the C19 virus is going to be...

If I knew I would get a nothing burger reaction... let’s get going!

If I knew I would get a free hospital stay... I’ll be staying in for a while longer...

It would also be nice to hear...

Your immunity to C19 should keep you from contracting it again...

There isn’t a follow up infection like chicken pox/shingles...

Do you get a decent wrist band that says been there done that... don’t need the mask anymore?

Or do you still need the mask?

Looking forward to all the pharma companies progress....

PP thoughts only, not a virustician....

Glad to hear your success story!

Best regards,

-a-

20 minutes ago, carusoam said:

PP thoughts only, not a virustician....

Now clearly you aren't a virologist since a real virologist would know the word isn't virustician - which sounds sort of like a cross between a statistician and a violist.

• Haha 1

On 6/19/2020 at 10:00 AM, kortopates said:

Indeed, we are going backwards because the number of COVID cases is going up by every measure #, percentage of tested, hospital cases etc because in part people aren’t taking the basic precautions.
Data shows wearing a mask helps reduce getting infected by aerosols by a factor of >3x.
Let’s be smart about it.

In the cockpit I’ve learned the surgical style flat mask or cloth don’t interfere with the mike and are best in protection for both you and person next to you whereas a respirator style mask interferes with the mike. Although an N95 respirator style provides the best protection to the wearer it still exhaust aerosols, so not as good for the person next to you unless you both wear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, Paul, you are actually flight instructing?

I was in Long Beach and Avalon last weekend. You Californians cheat worse than the Arizonans.

California is a big state, it’s hard to generalize. But many people l know from Trump country feel at home in our Orange County and Central Valley.

“Cheating” means you know you’re doing something wrong. That’s a start, and is better than believing there is nothing wrong with selfish and behavior that endangers others. I’ve crossed paths with many who didn’t know their mask was drooping, who got too close out of habit (just being human) or just forgot a mask. I carry spares in the car and plane just in case, and almost everyone responds positively to a gentle reminder (and each of us needs one as well, we aren’t used to this).

LA County is one of the biggest hotspots going now in size (makes sense since only bigger metro area is NY and they’ve peaked). But most people seem to be generally observing simple and helpful social distancing, mask and hand washing rules that cost nothing and help others.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Glad you are well. 

An FYI for anyone, I got a call from the Red Cross looking for blood. If you go in they automatically (not surprised) test your blood for antibodies and let you know the results. I was going to go today but all the places near work were booked up (a good thing). I'm going to get in next week, I still think I had the bug back in Jan-Feb, but we'll see. 

• Like 1

Glad to hear you got it and it was a “nothingburger,” lucky for you. And they are now saying reinfection is unlikely for at least a few months, but perhaps they’re underestimating.

I’m aware of numerous others who didn’t get over it so easily, including a few seemingly healthy younger folks (couple marathoners) who aren’t around to reassure us they’re OK.

A friend declined a dinner invite in Orange County, reports are now 12 people at the restaurant that same evening are COVID+. Doubtless there were people at the restaurant who didn’t know an asymptomatic diner was infecting them. Let’s hope all of them —and everyone else infected by happy diners not observing sensible precautions—turn out as well as you!

It would also be nice to hear...
Your immunity to C19 should keep you from contracting it again...
There isn’t a follow up infection like chicken pox/shingles...
Do you get a decent wrist band that says been there done that... don’t need the mask anymore?
Or do you still need the mask?
Looking forward to all the pharma companies progress....

Yes for sure it would be nice to hear such things instead of what we are hearing...

I was perplexed by the stories about the carrier sailors who’d been positive, removed from duty, then cleared for and returned to cleared, then tested positive a second time. Haven’t seen a good explanation for that, last I saw there were more than a dozen such cases. Hard to believe there could be that many errors...even by the Navy.
  • Like 2