Viva Las Vegas !

And so we should never stop wearing them,  ever because this virus will always be out there.

Not really. When people have access to a vaccine they believe is effective, they’ll be less concerned about other people’s droplets. Until that happens, sensible people who don’t want to risk a non-trivial risk of dying will take sensible precautions.

There will always be those among us who insist on proving Darwin right, and our system facilitates that. For those of you in that category, l suggest don’t MS is not a receptive audience. MSers have always seemed a smart and objective group that trucked in science and data.
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, philip_g said:

I mean, I'm not a doctor but I guess the treatment is the same for the rona as it is the flu, self quarantine, drink fluids, treat symptoms and head to the ER if it gets bad.

I was more concerned about the possibility of her infecting others. 

Edited by McMooney

His first tour of duty was in the Airforce playing in the concert band based at Langley.  They formed a rock jazz band and did their deployment around the Middle East playing for the troops. We are so proud of him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bonal said:

His first tour of duty was in the Airforce playing in the concert band based at Langley.  They formed a rock jazz band and did their deployment around the Middle East playing for the troops. We are so proud of him.

Awesome!! Such a wonderful career.... making people happy and smile with his music..... it’s a great gig!!:D

• Like 1

Wait, which side is the cult?
Why is it so important for you to convince me of anything?
I choose to get on with my life because I enjoy life and all it has to offer.
If some choose to cower under a toad stool with a mask and a bottle of hand sanitizer, It doesn’t bother me any, although I will laugh at them.

Sides? There are sides? Does each side get cool jerseys, too? I want one!

Wait, have I been picked last again—or not at all? Darn...just like middle school.

I’ve not been near any toadstools but sure have seen more than my share of toads lately.

I don’t know about any sides, but I’m continuing to hang with the critical thinking, data-driven, intelligent folks with whom I enjoy flying. They seem t be patient and kind people, too.

Oh, I’ve learned Darwin always seems to have the last laugh. I doubt this new crisis will be different.
  • Like 1

it's not a political party any longer, it's a cult. Simply defies reason.

Whether Hitler or Jim Jones, cults never end well. Yet they persist anyway.

We should not forget how powerful is fear. The world can be a complex and scary place. How comforting many have found it to have this complexity reduced to “us v. them,” to have the root of all one’s unhappiness attributable to one simple bad actor or group. Perhaps that’s why they persist.

28 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Awesome!! Such a wonderful career.... making people happy and smile with his music..... it’s a great gig!!:D

I remember his telling of his recruitment the AF sought him out he first performed a double blind piece five of twenty five were selected then after that he had to perform again and without advance warning the hall was filled with officers. He was the only successful candidate.  His dedication to his music is amazing.  

• Like 2

So many things to follow in this thread...very interesting.

Thanks @MooneyMitch for the positivity and the thread start.

Thanks to all the military and their families.  My son spent 8 years in the Air Force before leaving to pursue his Masters and a different career.  But none of us have any musical aptitude. :D

I'm not in a cult or any team, but I do see that there are motivations on both "sides" (I hate using that word, in light of the earlier posts)...so I try to research and come to, hopefully, intelligent conclusions.

And, as to the map showing Arizona is leading the nation in coronavirus deaths per capita, it seems that our rather unique state demographics and State/Nation boundaries are skewing things somewhat.   In our part of the state, for example, there is one level 1 trauma center and all serious health cases get brought (often by helicopter) to Flagstaff.  The nearby Navajo Nation has had serious issues with coronavirus on the reservation...to the point where they had the border shut for a while.  It, like all the reservations in Arizona, is a separate political jurisdiction.  They have their own laws, they have a different time zone half the year, and they don't always report data to the State.   A recent article discussed this... [the map] "suggests Native Americans may be dying at a rate far greater than their presence in the overall population. Yet state officials suppressed testing data from ZIP codes where more than 50% of the population is tribal residents. ADHS's website listed those areas as "tribal approval pending."   If you look at the map of Arizona, and the coronavirus deaths, zip codes adjacent to reservations had significantly higher death rates.  So, it appears that ill Native Americans are being treated in nearby and more well-prepared medical centers...and their deaths are being counted...but it looks like those large populations are not being counted in the State population figures.  It doesn't help that underlying health issues, especially diabetes, are common there.  Ironically, in another map online, Arizona was the single state that had an A+ rating for coronavirus data quality...how does that mesh with the other articles about missing data?  Hmmmm.

Be well, all.

13 minutes ago, Ross Taylor said:

So many things to follow in this thread...very interesting.

Thanks @MooneyMitch for the positivity and the thread start.

Thanks to all the military and their families.  My son spent 8 years in the Air Force before leaving to pursue his Masters and a different career.  But none of us have any musical aptitude. :D

I'm not in a cult or any team, but I do see that there are motivations on both "sides" (I hate using that word, in light of the earlier posts)...so I try to research and come to, hopefully, intelligent conclusions.

And, as to the map showing Arizona is leading the nation in coronavirus deaths per capita, it seems that our rather unique state demographics and State/Nation boundaries are skewing things somewhat.   In our part of the state, for example, there is one level 1 trauma center and all serious health cases get brought (often by helicopter) to Flagstaff.  The nearby Navajo Nation has had serious issues with coronavirus on the reservation...to the point where they had the border shut for a while.  It, like all the reservations in Arizona, is a separate political jurisdiction.  They have their own laws, they have a different time zone half the year, and they don't always report data to the State.   A recent article discussed this... [the map] "suggests Native Americans may be dying at a rate far greater than their presence in the overall population. Yet state officials suppressed testing data from ZIP codes where more than 50% of the population is tribal residents. ADHS's website listed those areas as "tribal approval pending."   If you look at the map of Arizona, and the coronavirus deaths, zip codes adjacent to reservations had significantly higher death rates.  So, it appears that ill Native Americans are being treated in nearby and more well-prepared medical centers...and their deaths are being counted...but it looks like those large populations are not being counted in the State population figures.  It doesn't help that underlying health issues, especially diabetes, are common there.  Ironically, in another map online, Arizona was the single state that had an A+ rating for coronavirus data quality...how does that mesh with the other articles about missing data?  Hmmmm.

Be well, all.

I’m sure it all has to do with miscounting Native Americans and nothing to do with blatant disregard for best practices and public health guidelines.

56FADF86-014F-4C79-8BE6-33FD95E9EA4A.png

24 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

I’m sure it all has to do with miscounting Native Americans and nothing to do with blatant disregard for best practices and public health guidelines.

Well, I was trying to be fact-based and rational...describing a situation here with a very high-risk population and data that our own State Health Department says isn't being reported.  But I guess I'm completely wrong in that approach and it's really just that Arizona isn't doing enough contact tracing and we're electing to reopen businesses.  Silly me...

34 minutes ago, Ross Taylor said:

Well, I was trying to be fact-based and rational...describing a situation here with a very high-risk population and data that our own State Health Department says isn't being reported.  But I guess I'm completely wrong in that approach and it's really just that Arizona isn't doing enough contact tracing and we're electing to reopen businesses.  Silly me...

Well, you’re actually not doing enough contact tracing and given the high number of positive tests, you’re not doing enough testing either.

Reopening businesses isn’t the problem. It’s reopening then and not following the guidelines to reduce disease transmission. I fully support reopening businesses but if you reopen them by having a restaurant full of people and no one is wearing a mask that’s not really a “fact based and rational” approach.

Lets see where your rates are in two weeks and we can continue the discussion then.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

...... and on another happy positive note ( pun intended), I’m out tomorrow playing music ( it’s been nearly 3 months) for a physically distancing outdoors event..... birthday celebration for an 89 years young mother of a wonderful local family.......there is hope!:)

Great to hear you're going to get out and play, and for a wonderful occasion.

We flew to St George this weekend to visit my son whom we haven't seen since the end of December. We had a couple visits scheduled but then this virus came along and his work wouldn't allow him to associate with anyone from out of state. We also visited my wife's dad and his wife. They are both in their 70's. We met them at the park next to their house, some nice benches in the shade probably 8' or so apart. The weather was beautiful, and it was nice to visit, although strange not to give any hugs. They are both doing well. 

Washington County, with a very large population of seniors there in St George, shows 247 cases and no deaths. St George never really shut down, Dixie State where my son goes did go to online classes, but the kids still seemed to get together to do things. The parks had lots of folks, kids playing on the playgrounds, pickle ball courts, but you didn't see any older folks at the park. My wife and I were probably on the upper end of the age spectrum there. The older folks in town, according to my father-in-law, have all been very careful and haven't gone out much other than to pick up groceries or go for a walk. Grocery pickup is either pulling up and having them put in their trunk or a relative goes by the store and drops them off on the porch. Not trying to fuel a debate, just some observations. 

We may go visit my folks in Arizona in the next few weeks. We'll stay with one of my sisters instead of at my folks house like we normally do and just visit at a park or on the back porch outside. Again, it will be strange to visit family and not have the usual hugs, but such is the way things are currently.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Great to hear you're going to get out and play, and for a wonderful occasion.

We flew to St George this weekend to visit my son whom we haven't seen since the end of December. We had a couple visits scheduled but then this virus came along and his work wouldn't allow him to associate with anyone from out of state. We also visited my wife's dad and his wife. They are both in their 70's. We met them at the park next to their house, some nice benches in the shade probably 8' or so apart. The weather was beautiful, and it was nice to visit, although strange not to give any hugs. They are both doing well. 

Washington County, with a very large population of seniors there in St George, shows 247 cases and no deaths. St George never really shut down, Dixie State where my son goes did go to online classes, but the kids still seemed to get together to do things. The parks had lots of folks, kids playing on the playgrounds, pickle ball courts, but you didn't see any older folks at the park. My wife and I were probably on the upper end of the age spectrum there. The older folks in town, according to my father-in-law, have all been very careful and haven't gone out much other than to pick up groceries or go for a walk. Grocery pickup is either pulling up and having them put in their trunk or a relative goes by the store and drops them off on the porch. Not trying to fuel a debate, just some observations. 

We may go visit my folks in Arizona in the next few weeks. We'll stay with one of my sisters instead of at my folks house like we normally do and just visit at a park or on the back porch outside. Again, it will be strange to visit family and not have the usual hugs, but such is the way things are currently.

It will be so great when you can give them all big hugs!!

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 5:47 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

As much as the opposing party would like this state of chaos to continue til the election, the people are sick and tired of it!

Besides, where are all the sick people? From what I hear on the news, they should be everywhere! I can't find them anywhere!

All I can say to COVID deniers is watch Brazil very closely. What's developing there would have been here. Sao Paulo has declared a healthcare crisis and finding their hospitals overwhelmed. Seems their leader was one of those who believed the virus was nothing more than a case of seasonal flu and elected to do absolutely nothing about it and they are now paying a tremendous price. Thank goodness our leader had the wherewithal to restrict travel from that region.

And contrary to popular belief, people on the "left" are not hoping that the situation lingers until November. Friends and family are losing jobs at the same rate as those on the "right" and it's a very unsettling feeling. We are all praying that it doesn't get any worse and that a meaningful recovery starts very, very soon.

Now you can believe me or continue to bury your head in the sand. The choice is yours.

• Like 1

All I can say to COVID deniers is watch Brazil very closely. What's developing there would have been here. Sao Paulo has declared a healthcare crisis and finding their hospitals overwhelmed. Seems their leader was one of those who believed the virus was nothing more than a case of seasonal flu and elected to do absolutely nothing about it and they are now paying a tremendous price. Thank goodness our leader had the wherewithal to restrict travel from that region.
And contrary to popular belief, people on the "left" are not hoping that the situation lingers until November. Friends and family are losing jobs at the same rate as those on the "right" and it's a very unsettling feeling. We are all praying that it doesn't get any worse and that a meaningful recovery starts very, very soon.
Now you can believe me or continue to bury your head in the sand. The choice is yours.

And watch Alabama...in denouncing reasonable and prudent countermeasures, their governor declared how “Alabama ain’t California”...now Montgomery’s Mayor says if you need an ICU, go elsewhere. Gov. was right, AL ain’t CA: In California we didn’t have to ship critically ill people needing ICU care out of state so people could get their hair and nails done.

On 5/25/2020 at 1:47 AM, MooneyMitch said:

Us trumpet players will be pausing tomorrow to offer up “Taps Across America” in honor of our military personnel that gave their everything, and for those that have died from the virus.....3 PM your local time..... step outdoors and listen for one of us. :)

There's my boy!

https://northcountrynow.com/hometown-photos/potsdam/sounding-taps-potsdam

• Like 5

9 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

You can't really compare Brazil directly to the US.  The standards of sanitation are so much higher in the US, and the poverty is so much worse in Brazil.  I lived there and walked in the favelas every day.  For anyone that can afford an airplane it's hard to comprehend that humans actually live in those conditions.  The corruption of the ruling parties over the past couple decades has the Real currently 5:1 with the Dollar.  Brazil has already gone through a hyper inflation event and changed currencies multiple times.  It's not like they can just cut unemployment checks and tell everyone to stay home.  They don't really have the infrastructure or a cultural mechanism that will self enforce any kind of shutdown... they'd have to send out the military police... which would probably dramatically increase gang violence. 

It probably makes more sense to compare the US to Sweden.

• Like 4

We have a few MSers in Brazil... :)

One thing for sure... fighting an epidemic requires money... preserving your own health requires money...

If you think money is tight around here...

It is much tighter in other places...

Congrats to Adam for making the paper in a fine way!

I found two other people in my circle of friends (outside the MS world) who were playing Taps... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

On 5/26/2020 at 8:45 PM, SantosDumont said:

You can't really compare Brazil directly to the US.  The standards of sanitation are so much higher in the US, and the poverty is so much worse in Brazil.  I lived there and walked in the favelas every day.  For anyone that can afford an airplane it's hard to comprehend that humans actually live in those conditions.  The corruption of the ruling parties over the past couple decades has the Real currently 5:1 with the Dollar.  Brazil has already gone through a hyper inflation event and changed currencies multiple times.  It's not like they can just cut unemployment checks and tell everyone to stay home.  They don't really have the infrastructure or a cultural mechanism that will self enforce any kind of shutdown... they'd have to send out the military police... which would probably dramatically increase gang violence. 

It probably makes more sense to compare the US to Sweden.

I obviously can't challenge you based upon your knowledge of Brazil, but regardless of their living conditions, person-to-person transmission in high density cities such as Sao Paulo would be comparable to that of New York City if the US did not institute shelter in place policies. In other words, if the US didn't go on lock-down, we would probably resemble a spread similar to Brazil.

On 5/25/2020 at 6:42 PM, ilovecornfields said:

Well, you’re actually not doing enough contact tracing and given the high number of positive tests, you’re not doing enough testing either.

Reopening businesses isn’t the problem. It’s reopening then and not following the guidelines to reduce disease transmission. I fully support reopening businesses but if you reopen them by having a restaurant full of people and no one is wearing a mask that’s not really a “fact based and rational” approach.

Lets see where your rates are in two weeks and we can continue the discussion then.

Well, it’s only been 10 days but not looking good for AZ so far. Maybe those scientist do actually know what they’re talking about and listening to the epidemiologists might be more “fact based and rational” that listening to our feelings and biases.

Coronavirus cases spike in Texas, Oregon and Arizona

https://apple.news/Aqg97lZl3Sf6X8mfLtmoIng

Edited by ilovecornfields
  • Like 1