Viva Las Vegas !

As much as the opposing party would like this state of chaos to continue til the election, the people are sick and tired of it!

Besides, where are all the sick people? From what I hear on the news, they should be everywhere! I can't find them anywhere!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, tmo said:

It's the isolation / quarantine working ;-)

Impossible to tell. 

Both sides can claim the high ground with no way to prove either view.

Irregardless of claims of absolute proof, we’ll never know what would have happened if we treated this like every other disease that comes along.

Too bad there are sides....

I guess it comes down to those who value freedom vs those who value security.

There are those who can take care of themselves and those who need someone to take care of them.

• Like 2

I meant it with a smile / smirk - you can't find them, means they isolated themselves well.  Did not mean to take sides, as I am not actually able to pick mine - as you said, we'll never know what would have been.  While I in principle agree that "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" I also see the point that "we" as a society should also take into account the well being of those less fortunate / resilient / smart / etc among us.

Apologies if I offended, did not mean to.

17 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

As much as the opposing party would like this state of chaos to continue til the election, the people are sick and tired of it!

Besides, where are all the sick people? From what I hear on the news, they should be everywhere! I can't find them anywhere!

The current death rate in Maricopa County is actually on a quadratic trajectory.   It's getting worse faster than it's getting better.
image.png.980a0357807cdea2d253748f53ab6741.png

On 5/22/2020 at 2:47 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

Ok, I’ll let you in on the secret: They’re hiding in the hospital.I’ve seen them!

You remind me of a patient I had that was bitten by a wild animal and came to see me in the ER. We have to discuss rabies prophylaxis in cases when the rabies status of the animal is unknown. He didn’t want it (which is reasonable) but his argument was a little ridiculous “I don’t really buy this ‘rabies stuff.’ You don’t see hospitals full of people suffering from rabies, do you?”

I said “No. Because everyone who develops rabies dies.” He still declined the prophylaxis but at least he was educated a little bit on why you don’t see people running around with rabies (there was a girl who survived, but she had some permanent neurologic damage).

I wish we didn’t have sides either, but this “I don’t see it so it doesn’t exist” argument is pretty juvenile and beneath us. Toddlers think this was but adults really shouldn’t.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/Object-Permanence.html

Edited by ilovecornfields
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Impossible to tell. 

Irregardless of claims of absolute proof, we’ll never know what would have happened if we treated this like every other disease that comes along.

Too bad there are sides....

I guess it comes down to those who value freedom vs those who value security.

There are those who can take care of themselves and those who need someone to take care of them.

Here's proof.  From the Johns Hopkins COVID-19 Resource Center

image.png.9307144938d7830b2a792e015d335b22.png

With unrestricted growth, you'd expect the daily new case rate to look like the first two weeks.  That's exponential growth.  The only way to account for the sudden plateau in daily cases is change in societal behavior.  The rate of decrease in the second phase tells us how well what we are doing is working.  That is to say, pretty damn poorly when you compare the US to almost every other industrialized country out there, including Italy:

image.png.15fed3dfa5bb1a7de9a336e46b9aaa75.png

Despite how often Americans seemed to malign Italy and the Italian respone, the rate of decrease in daily new cases has been much faster there.

In all fairness, I suspect some of the slow progress in the US is due to rural areas having delayed onset of spread.  Contrary to popular belief, sparse and widely spread communities do NOT have any slower spread than major urban areas, but their geography does delay the START of the spread, probably by 2-3 weeks.  So we might be seeing some successive waves of spread.  However, this would only account for the first couple few weeks after hitting peak, and we are well into our 6th week since peak with only miserable reductions in daily rate.

I suspect the majority of the slow progress is due to our own behavior.  Thunderf00t on YouTube calculated (back of napkin, of course) that the difference between bringing the daily rate down to zero as quickly as possible and not being able to bring the daily rate down at all would be the difference between 100% and 85% of people behaving properly, respectively.  That's not a huge difference, and I can certainly imagine American's being in the latter group.

• Like 4

I've had one friend die from it. And two that nearly died, ICU, coma, all of it. None of them were 60 yet. My brother is a physician in NYC and my sister is a nurse on a COVID unit in Richmond, VA. I spent an hour on the phone with her while she drove home from her shift. She'd lost two that day. It was a very difficult drive home.

It's scary when it's close to you. So I don't mind the measures we are taking.. I'd personally like to survive to see the other side of this thing. I'd like my Mom and Dad to still be around as well.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Wow!  Is Vegas open now?
Something I haven’t seen in many, many weeks....... our SMX Allegiant run to/from Vegas!  Another yippee!!
55D6415F-3B0E-4C23-BB19-24CB38B515DC.thumb.jpeg.8fcdbc80f4f19eae1a590d6855994afc.jpeg

I read somewhere that allegiant has the most amount of flights running now out of all the airlines. That scares me a little since the few times I flew allegiant out of Charlotte it was filled with dirty disgusting people. No offense to dirty disgusting allegiant fliers....

25 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

I read somewhere that allegiant has the most amount of flights running now out of all the airlines. That scares me a little since the few times I flew allegiant out of Charlotte it was filled with dirty disgusting people. No offense to dirty disgusting allegiant fliers....

“If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.” (Mark Twain)

I read somewhere the above caption...... but I’m not sure if what I read is true!

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

I've had one friend die from it. And two that nearly died, ICU, coma, all of it. None of them were 60 yet. My brother is a physician in NYC and my sister is a nurse on a COVID unit in Richmond, VA. I spent an hour on the phone with her while she drove home from her shift. She'd lost two that day. It was a very difficult drive home.

It's scary when it's close to you. So I don't mind the measures we are taking.. I'd personally like to survive to see the other side of this thing. I'd like my Mom and Dad to still be around as well.

I’m really sorry to hear that. I hope your family is doing ok. This has really taken a toll on healthcare workers with pretty scary rates of depression, substance abuse and suicide. Unfortunately, watching people die right in front of you tends to have that effect on people.

If you send me a PM I would be happy to share some resources that are available for healthcare workers if they are struggling.

I really don’t get the “COVID deniers.” Seems like denial is rarely a useful strategy for dealing with a life threatening situation. I had a patient in the ER recently who refused to wear a mask and told me “I don’t believe in that whole COVID thing.” This was literally minutes after a COVID patient just went to the ICU and they called me to give me a “heads up” that he might need an emergent intubation .

I have no idea where this behavior comes from and unfortunately it has caused me to lose respect for some that I previously held in higher regard.

Thank you for sharing your story. We are all affected by this.

Edited by ilovecornfields
  • Like 11

16 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Impossible to tell. 

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

So, you all are showing info from the web. 

Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

As I was saying

19 hours ago, tmo said:

I meant it with a smile / smirk - you can't find them, means they isolated themselves well.  Did not mean to take sides, as I am not actually able to pick mine - as you said, we'll never know what would have been.  While I in principle agree that "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" I also see the point that "we" as a society should also take into account the well being of those less fortunate / resilient / smart / etc among us.

An often misunderstood quote, used for an alternate meaning from the original. 

Allegiant took $170M of CARES act funding. They have to keep operating flights until Sep 30. 

Some restaurants in Vegas are slowly opening. Went to pick up sushi last night and tables were about 12 feet apart.  Plexiglass installed between the chefs and patrons.  You have to make a reservation if you want to eat in.  

That was out first restaurant experience in about 9 weeks. 

• Like 2

California county of San Luis Obispo....... we have open restaurants now......following distancing guidelines. I’m enjoying a yummy breakfast!!  

People are smiling..... people are laughing..... this is happy !:)

3A24D80B-98A7-4C60-BC16-4742249D1B23.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, philip_g said:

I'd love to have some sushi right now, but I'm a bit hesitant to get food that isn't cooked. Droplets and all.

Always a concern, covid or not.

A bad case of botulism will make covid look like a walk in the park!

• Like 1

I was at an upscale Scottsdale eatery last night for the mother in laws birthday. The place was packed! Every bar stool was occupied. I told our waiter that he would get a better tip if he took off that stupid mask. He thanked me profusely and was holding it in his hand whenever he came after that. There was not a single patron wearing a mask!

I think our state is more advanced than most! Irrespective of our looser governor.

Come here for normalcy! 

• Like 1

My stepdaughter caught it,  thank god she was young and only had mildish symptoms.  The part i found most troubling, they sent her home to self quarantine due to not having any room in the hospital.

Edited by McMooney
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I was at an upscale Scottsdale eatery last night for the mother in laws birthday. The place was packed! Every bar stool was occupied. I told our waiter that he would get a better tip if he took off that stupid mask. He thanked me profusely and was holding it in his hand whenever he came after that. There was not a single patron wearing a mask!

I think our state is more advanced than most! Irrespective of our looser governor.

Come here for normalcy! 

Thanks for sharing that. I was wondering why Arizona had a much higher death rate per capita than any of the surrounding states. Now it’s crystal clear!

D2A8745E-7E99-4D6E-B3CB-648C8B717DFE.png

• Like 3

Just now, philip_g said:

then what would you propose differently?

CDC has plenty of information in its website, the expected disease course and the reasons to present to the ER.

In the hospital, the two diseases are treated very differently. 

Not a subject that can (or should) be comprehensively covered on an aviation forum.

If you’d like a consultation, send me a PM and I’ll be happy to discuss this at length with you as long as you compensate me appropriately for my time. 

• Like 2