IPAD MINI 5 vs Garmin AREA 760

Danb

4 hours ago, N231BN said:
4 hours ago, toto said:
The Aera 760 with its integrated AHRS may be the only single-box handheld that offers both navigation and attitude. Something like the Dynon D3 gives you attitude but no nav, and other handhelds offer nav with no attitude. 
If mounted in an Airgizmos dock or whatever, the Aera 760 has an awful lot of backup potential in a single battery-powered unit. 

I didn't realize it has its own AHRS, that is a big deal.

The other feature of the 760 that I have never before seen in a handheld GPS is the ability to drive a GFC500 autopilot.  Their press materials say this is "VFR Only," but still - it's an interesting differentiator.

9 hours ago, toto said:

Right, it needs to be in a fixed position.  Airgizmos doesn't have a 760 dock out yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.  A solid RAM mount or similar would probably work equally well, so long as you aren't removing the 760 and dropping it in your lap.

I thought that the option would only be available if you connect the unit to your panel mounted GTN?

Just now, Oscar Avalle said:

I thought that the option would only be available if you connect the unit to your panel mounted GTN?

My understanding is that it has a built-in AHRS, which can be used for attitude and SV with no external connectivity.

13 hours ago, toto said:

The other feature of the 760 that I have never before seen in a handheld GPS is the ability to drive a GFC500 autopilot.  Their press materials say this is "VFR Only," but still - it's an interesting differentiator.

What kind of scenario would that be of value for? I can only think of one - a VFR Mooney without a panel GPS hooked up to the GFC500 where the 760 is being  used as VFR GPS. Is that the intent? That makes sense for a VFR only Mooney. Otherwise I don't see any value in driving the GFC-500 when you already can drive it from a IFR GPS. Just curious since I haven't read up on this or much on the 760. Certainly pluses it has AHRS and Synthetic vision but so does my iPad setup, but the 760 is integrated while my iPad requires a second device.

Aeras are a great poor man’s gtn750.   

I have a 660 interfaced and sitting on top of a gtn650...  its also interfaced with a gdl39 3D, for adsb and backup SV/ahrs ...  it’s great!

i think the 760 is too big for my vintage mooney panel.   But for later models with bigger panel space, the 760 would make a good mfd next to a pfd..  heck, the 660 in vertical format works great for that too.  

9 hours ago, kortopates said:

What kind of scenario would that be of value for? I can only think of one - a VFR Mooney without a panel GPS hooked up to the GFC500 where the 760 is being  used as VFR GPS. Is that the intent? That makes sense for a VFR only Mooney. Otherwise I don't see any value in driving the GFC-500 when you already can drive it from a IFR GPS. Just curious since I haven't read up on this or much on the 760. Certainly pluses it has AHRS and Synthetic vision but so does my iPad setup, but the 760 is integrated while my iPad requires a second device.

Probably aimed at the experimental market.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kortopates said:

Yeah, I'm not really sure.  It's a differentiator, but maybe one that isn't super valuable.

Garmin says:  "For aircraft flying in visual conditions, pilots can optionally connect the aera 760 to select autopilots to fly lateral GPS and single point vertical navigation (VNAV) guidance. For example, pilots flying in visual conditions can fly a VNAV profile from their current altitude to pattern altitude using the aera 760 fully coupled to the autopilot."

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/aviation/aera-760-7-inch-format-portable-aviation-gps/

I guess the idea is that you can have a G5 and a GFC500 but with a panel-mount navigator that has very limited capability.  So you drive your autopilot with the Aera 760, which gives proper nav/vnav guidance for a fraction of the price of a GTN.

I could certainly see that as part of a phased panel upgrade.

Yeah, I'm not really sure.  It's a differentiator, but maybe one that isn't super valuable.
Garmin says:  "For aircraft flying in visual conditions, pilots can optionally connect the aera 760 to select autopilots to fly lateral GPS and single point vertical navigation (VNAV) guidance. For example, pilots flying in visual conditions can fly a VNAV profile from their current altitude to pattern altitude using the aera 760 fully coupled to the autopilot."
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/aviation/aera-760-7-inch-format-portable-aviation-gps/
I guess the idea is that you can have a G5 and a GFC500 but with a panel-mount navigator that has very limited capability.  So you drive your autopilot with the Aera 760, which gives proper nav/vnav guidance for a fraction of the price of a GTN.
I could certainly see that as part of a phased panel upgrade.

That makes sense for VFR only planes who clearly don’t need a GTN. But we all know as soon as it’s installed in a IFR capable plane the pilot will be navigating with it IFR as well, just like many are now with an iPad, but perhaps even worse with it controlling the AP since then it being used as the primary navigation source. Of course it’s great for a VFR only plane in that mode but the concern is for how it gets used in an IFR plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk