Added a step

My experience........ the good :D......obviously the step is an excellent convenience....... the bad :angry:...... my vacuum (or lack thereof) step destroyed the baggage area bulkhead during  the gear up landing on my ‘67 F years ago.  

That very strong piece of extended aluminum caused the most expensive part of airframe repairs.

It might be a myth......... I’ve come to believe the later permanently extended steel steps are breakaways in the event of a landing without wheels extended.

Fortuntely I never found that out on the Ovation.

On my current D/C model, I keep the step retracted ....... just in case :blink:

P.S..... my gear up was induced by a linkage failure ...... so, I’m not immune to the “those that have and those that will” category...... GUMP is my friend! :)

19 hours ago, mooneyflyfast said:

My 81 J model came without a step.  I recently added one and it makes loading and unloading much easier.  I can't tell any difference in cruise speed.

IMG_1921.JPG

May I ask please, how is the step assembly attached to the air frame?  Any photos perhaps internally?  Thank you.  I should have looked on the Big O, but was afraid to............. LOL!! 

2 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I think Mitch’s manual step might be the best of all worlds.   At least for me when the step is so rarely needed.  

I do extend the step occasionally on the ground for passengers, and even for myself..............RARELY :lol:

1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:

May I ask please, how is the step assembly attached to the air frame?  Any photos perhaps internally?  Thank you.  I should have looked on the Big O, but was afraid to............. LOL!! 

Sorry, I didn't get involved in installing it.  My mechanic did say that whatever the step attaches to was there already. Maybe 2-3 hours labor if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mooneyflyfast said:

My 81 J model came without a step.  I recently added one and it makes loading and unloading much easier.  I can't tell any difference in cruise speed.

Did you make the fairing for the tube or buy that?   I've been thinking of adding something similar.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:38 AM, steingar said:

Mine is busted.  Manual crank one.  My plan is, once it's fixed, retract it and never use it again.  What a pain.  Stepstools are easier.

Shameless plug.  For about the same labor as fixing the crank, you can convert to electric and then you don’t have to worry about remembering to put it up or down.  Save a little weight in the process.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, takair said:

Shameless plug.  For about the same labor as fixing the crank, you can convert to electric and then you don’t have to worry about remembering to put it up or down.  Save a little weight in the process.

Shameless plug or not, I have your electric step conversion in my F model and love it. I am debating trying the Auto-Lean device but have not fully decided yet.  Seems a very interesting concept.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MilitaryAV8R said:

Shameless plug or not, I have your electric step conversion in my F model and love it. I am debating trying the Auto-Lean device but have not fully decided yet.  Seems a very interesting concept.

Glad you like it.  Feel free to call about Auto-Lean.  Have really struggled to put together a good video and we also have some upgrades in work.

On 5/21/2020 at 10:32 PM, mooneyflyfast said:

Don’t think it make much difference to cruise speed? if yes, then you can use it slowdown for landing and you will need less right rudder, so still win-win :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome aboard a Brian!

:)

McM,   That was an incredible act of kindness... giving up two kias to allow some comfort for your CFI... he must be good!

PP thoughts only, with a hint of  some playful facetiousness added on...

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

Just now, Flyin Brian said:

Thanks Carusoam. Have been silently observing for quite some time. Just got through my first annual as an owner.  I was on a mission to get a step installed since I bought it.  

For owner projects that's a good first step!

...runs away...

• Haha 7

• 1 year later...

I installed a step in my 81 M20K. I love it for Angel Flights. In my experience loading hundreds of people in an out of my Mooney, I have learned that most people over 40 have enough orthopedic trouble that Mooneys become a special multi-step torture tool. It’s true that once inside all is good, but getting there is like playing Twister and Tetris simultaneously. The step (or step-ladder) eases this struggle somewhat. The step is easy because it doesn’t take up baggage space and it is always there. My CFI also thanked me for it the other day.

• Like 1