Garmin 275 ADDED FUNCTIONS

Why  not  have the  GI 275  have a turn coordinator screen/ function that shows  heading degrees per second and many other screens.   Make STC or PMA  to replace the  Turn Coordinator so those of us that have the dual  G5's could get rid of the mechanical gyro   turn coordinator.

The no more annoying  mechanical gyro sound   grinding  sound  .

James,

The TC is dead...

The reason we have it... AIs were too expensive to have two...

Times have changed...

TCs when they are new don’t make very good back-up devices...  Stress + TC + IMC often = tragedy... (example V-tail sprinkled all over NY neighborhood)

TCs when they have a few hours on them don’t work in turbulence.... impossible to follow as a primary device for keeping the clean side up... (try it with your own on a bumpy day)

Lance Casper Recently posted an AI with a device that added a ball...

You don’t need a TC if you have a second AI...

The second AI is a much better device, over Time, and in bumps...

The ball gets added so you can keep turns coordinated...

As far as timed turns go... select the speed for standard rate turns and match the angle of bank as required... (Something like 90kias and 17°... 15 would be close enough...)

nobody ever fell out of the sky when their timed turn ran long...

TCs that run the AP often get mounted Out of view... if the panel becomes too full...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI... stuff I read about on MS.  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

my point is that  these newer devices are programmable  and you can make them be what every you want them to be as long as sensors providing them into digital format to be display.

I would  agree that the TC is dead.... but as I understand it  with a Dual G5 Setup  you can't replace both primary AI and TC with  dual G5's as I   recall it is in the  STC unless later  revision(s) has  changed  that.  I my case I see the TC position a wasted  space  .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jamesm said:

Why  not  have the  GI 275  have a turn coordinator screen/ function that shows  heading degrees per second and many other screens.   Make STC or PMA  to replace the  Turn Coordinator so those of us that have the dual  G5's could get rid of the mechanical gyro   turn coordinator.

The no more annoying  mechanical gyro sound   grinding  sound  .

The GI 275 can replace the turn coordinator if the optional OAT sensor is installed. Two GI 275s with the OAT sensor and magnetometer installed can replace the whole six-pack.

Edited by louisut
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, louisut said:

The GI 275 can replace the turn coordinator if the optional OAT sensor is installed. Two GI 275s with the OAT sensor and magnetometer installed can replace the whole six-pack.

Then what do you do with all of the empty space???

10 minutes ago, Hank said:

I’m not fully versed in the stc, but I think you still gotta keep the asi, alt, vsi and tc (or backup adi for tc).  Unlike the g3x which allows removing the old instruments.

So sure, the gi275 can display all the info from all those gages (just like a g5), and you can even replace your altimeter or asi with one, but you’re still gonna have old school dedicated instruments.

This from the stc on garmins website, but it’s still not 100% clear as it does make it seem another gi275 can provide required backup...

“Except for installations that are limited to VFR, GI 275 systems require standby attitude, altitude, and airspeed instruments. Several types of standby instruments might be installed, including a standby GI 275 ADI, other ADI, or individual analog instruments. “

4 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

So sure, the gi275 can display all the info from all those gages (just like a g5), and you can even replace your altimeter or asi with one, but you’re still gonna have old school dedicated instruments.

This from the stc on garmins website, but it’s still not 100% clear as it does make it seem another gi275 can provide required backup...

“Except for installations that are limited to VFR, GI 275 systems require standby attitude, altitude, and airspeed instruments. Several types of standby instruments might be installed, including a standby GI 275 ADI, other ADI, or individual analog instruments. “

When one is installed as primary ADI and the second as a primary HSI/backup ADI, then the the standby instrument requirement is satisfied. With the OAT sensor, it can be primary turn coordinator as well; small markers for standard rate turns appear on the roll scale above a certain airspeed.

So yes, it replaces all six instruments. I beat this to death with both my installer and Garmin support. It's not what the website depicts, but that's the text in the STC and installation manual. I haven't seen the installation manual myself, but that's not for lack of trying...

5 hours ago, Hank said:

We kept the airspeed and altitude indicators for lack of better use for the space, but they were not required. I use the ASI mainly as a TAS calculator now, which curiously the GI 275 does not display (though it does record).

Done again, I'd remove the altimeter and keep the VSI. The speed and altitude tapes were easy to get used to. The VSI is clear but small. I think a standard gauge is easier to read and observe trends. Also, don't know if I'm a fan of how it displays 100 fpm in tenths, i.e. 500 fpm is displayed as 0.5.

IMG_20200523_130047.thumb.jpg.71d3409b1e821c18e2238860df8df1e5.jpg

Edited by louisut
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, louisut said:

When one is installed as primary ADI and the second as a primary HSI/backup ADI, then the the standby instrument requirement is satisfied. With the OAT sensor, it can be primary turn coordinator as well; small markers for standard rate turns appear on the roll scale above a certain airspeed.

So yes, it replaces all six instruments. I beat this to death with both my installer and Garmin support. It's not what the website depicts, but that's the text in the STC and installation manual. I haven't seen the installation manual myself, but that's not for lack of trying...

We kept the airspeed and altitude indicators for lack of better use for the space, but they were not required. I use the ASI mainly as a TAS calculator now, which curiously the GI 275 does not display (though it does record).

Done again, I'd remove the altimeter and keep the VSI. The speed and altitude tapes were easy to get used to. The VSI is clear but small. I think a standard gauge is easier to read and observe trends. Also, don't know if I'm a fan of how it displays 100 fpm in tenths, i.e. 500 fpm is displayed as 0.5.

IMG_20200523_130047.thumb.jpg.71d3409b1e821c18e2238860df8df1e5.jpg

Nice! Yeah I read the stc several times and was still a bit unsure.

I did dual G5s just before the 275 came out.  I wish I would’ve known about the 275 because I would have liked to keep the round gages and flush panel.  My G5s are great, but there’s always something just a little better.

How much did the 2x275s cost installed?

1 minute ago, Ragsf15e said:

Nice! Yeah I read the stc several times and was still a bit unsure.

I did dual G5s just before the 275 came out.  I wish I would’ve known about the 275 because I would have liked to keep the round gages and flush panel.  My G5s are great, but there’s always something just a little better.

How much did the 2x275s cost installed?

$16k altogether pretax with no synthetic vision. For reference, the same installer quoted $11.5k for dual G5s. I'm also not convinced we needed the autopilot interface on both units. If not, then it could have been $1k less. They're still new and so shops are still trying to figure them out.

My dual g5s were ~$11k without tax.  Removing all the old King hsi, wiring, and components was some of that.  Yeah, I guess I wouldve been hesitant for $5k more, but I definitely like their look better in the panel.

479464730_IMG_14342939.thumb.jpg.3d7171c1560e1dfa341cb0c63f016a9b.jpgOvation with Garmin 275 up grade cost, ready in about 2 weeks, installing GI 275 pfd/AP and GI275 hsi w/gmu-11, hsi, remove ki-256 and kcs-55a systems, adapter plate for gi275, relocating kt-74 transponder, connecting inputs to GTN 750 and inpute's to kfc auto pilot and navagators, remove old clock install mid cont. md93h clock/usb charging port high power, remove vacuum and standby vacuum systems, add bose aircraft power outlet. price about 16K, we were told more auto pilot updates  in August. 

Edited by flysamo
added info
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, flysamo said:

Ovation with Garmin 275 up grade cost, ready in about 2 weeks, installing GI 275 pfd/AP and GI275 hsi w/gmu-11, hsi, remove ki-256 and kcs-55a systems, adapter plate for gi275, relocating kt-74 transponder, connecting inputs to GTN 750 and inpute's to kfc auto pilot and navagators, remove old clock install mid cont. md93h clock/usb charging port high power, remove vacuum and standby vacuum systems, add bose aircraft power outlet. price about 16K, we were told more auto pilot updates  in August. 

Wow that's a lot of work for that estimate - good job!

in addition the gyro package KG 102 has also been removed, this was the second gyro package that was installed, about 10 years ago, think i paid paid $3600 for a new unit back then, when it was replaced. weight & balance change. looks a little bit empty in the electronics rack in the  back of the aircraft. The advice is too wait for the GI275 interface for the auto pilots .

2 batteries wow that can't  be light 28Vdc I am guessing. I guess I didn't realize that the Ovations had two batteries. Would it be great (but not cheap) we could switch over to Earth-X Batteries  as replacement if they were STC'd/PMA'd.  

50 minutes ago, jamesm said:

2 batteries wow that can't  be light 28Vdc I am guessing. I guess I didn't realize that the Ovations had two batteries. Would it be great (but not cheap) we could switch over to Earth-X Batteries  as replacement if they were STC'd/PMA'd.  

You actually need the weight from the two batteries back there to help offset the big 6 cylinder engine up front on the M, R, S, TN and Ultras.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

You actually need the weight from the two batteries back there to help offset the big 6 cylinder engine up front on the M, R, S, TN and Ultras.

And rocket.

we have 19lb of lead in the far back too.

Wow I didn't  know that, the long bodies carried  so much  dead weight in the back.  So hypothetical speaking ..... From a  design prospective and Money and FAA weren't part of the equation.  If they had extend  distance  between the nose gear and the main gear would you still need the lead ? I am guessing it change the the pitch dynamic and handling of the airplane. 

Just curious.

James,

Think of the design flexibility....

Do you want to install stuff back there?

Would you like an O2 system? Swap out a lead brick...

Would you like a Fiki system? Swap out some lead...

How about A/C? More lead....

Did you put an MT prop up front? Better chuck some lead overboard...

The engine mount at the front is extra long too... plenty of room up there.

All the design add-ons that are possible... come after you have built thousands of similar planes before....

Like the refined M20C... The O is very similar to an M20C.... even more refined...:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

GI 275 unit has option for wiring for OAT probe, with this addition the turn coordinator , can be removed. addition of the sensor, wire and located under wing mounting runs about 1K. believe sensor is needed for min air speed signal, can any one up date need for this addition.

looking at webinar from Garmin comparing the G5 size and the GI275. its easy to see just by the size difference that its a much different unit and the functions it does, as they state the 275 has a much greater growth capability. 

Edited by flysamo
added info