So useful...

It still makes me talk like an excited kid after I use more and more of the airplane’s ability.

Yesterday I flew IFR from Tuscaloosa Alabama to Cincinnati planned via NW Alabama to Bloomington Indiana and a hard right to Cincinnnati. 9,000 above the clouds for most of the way with a descent short of my thunderstorm covered destination. A 90 or so minute wait and I was able to hop over and back into Cincinnati Lunken.

155 TAS at 7 gph LOP gives an easy 6 hours of duration. I still had about 2.7 hours of fuel upon landing.

The Mooney is really coming into its own right now. 53ad696d6e98d2ab733a414df9a172d5.plist

• Like 9

It still makes me talk like an excited kid after I use more and more of the airplane’s ability.

155 TAS at 7 gph LOP gives an easy 6 hours of duration. I still had about 2.7 hours of fuel upon landing.

155 TAS and 7 gph? No way. You numbers are all wrong.

7 gph is 9 hours, so your 3 hour trip should have left 6 hours of fuel. My J burns about 9 LOP so that’s 7 hours of endurance, I would have had 4 hours of fuel left.

Also the speed your quoting for FlightAware is ground speed, not TAS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Andy,

Yes to ADSB and very many colors. That drop in ground speed was weird - when it occurred I assumed that I’d flown past something, but the only indication of passing something was the decrease in GS.

Flying in 2020 is something. ADSB, moving maps, and ATC with a lot of time.

While I was contemplating diverting, I asked to divert to CVG (Class Bravo) - Cincinnati approach told me to hang on as I asked for a straight in for runway 9 and they were landing 27. After a minute, Approach came back and vectored me to CVG. (after I turned toward CVG, I thought it was too dark ahead and instead diverted to Cinti West). But to be offered a contra flow landing at a class B! - only in 2020 so far.

That E’s 52 gallons and 7 gph LOP flow permits me to take a nominal 3-hr trip and tag on a zig and a zag and still have lots of reserves. Outstanding.

I’ll cruise along all day at 135 IAS and 155 TAS all day Instead of dipping into personal fuel minimums.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, David Lloyd said:

ADSB putting weather in the cockpit certainly changes cross country flying.  Is that knots or mph?

It certainly does. Seeing area ceilings and/or visibility at a glance is also pretty amazing. How soon before something like "two iPads in a cockpit can replace all onboard electronics?" The speed is in MPH.

• Like 1