Avionics Estimate of the Day

Davidv

I can definitely relate to this topic.  I recently inquired about purchasing and installing: G3x, backup G5 AI,  GFC500, GTN750xi, and GTN650xi including remote trans and audio.  The quote came back in the low $80,000 range.  This included a fair amount for trade in value for my 530w and 430w units.  When I asked for a generally itemized quote (knowing things can change while the work is being done) I was informed that the “quote engineer” (what I call him) does at least 20 quotes a day and if he had to produce a detailed quote every time, he wouldn’t get his work done.  My first thought was, I wonder how many people fall for that line of bull?  My second thought was, not me!

$80,000+- for a 3/4ths panel upgrade is not really out of line.  The laws of supply and demand though still work and those not willing to demonstrate how they’re spending our dollars eventually recognize eco 101.

• Like 1

When I used to do avionics installation as a side gig I would estimate the costs up front. However, I made it clear that I would invoice for my time based on the actual hours needed and I didn’t offer fixed price bids.   Some people were comfortable with that. 

The variables in retrofitting GA radios and wiring are huge.  I found it impossible to know what I would find in an airplane until tearing into the undocumented mass of wiring behind the panel.  

I can visualize the “quote engineer” at a major avionics shop has a list of approximate labor hours based on the shop’s history for each box and feature.  There probably is no “detailed quote.”  

All that said it is easier to bid a panel makeover such as yours because almost everything will be removed and all new harnesses installed.  The real nightmares came from requests to “just put in X and hook it up.”   

• Like 1

I had a complete panel makeover to include 2xG3X (10” & 7”), G5, EDM 900 (install only), CiES senders, USB charger, GFC 500 2 new panels cut, and LED panel lights for way less than that.

Contact http://www.precision-avionics.com, they did a great job for me. Easy to work with, stuck to their $ estimate, just allow for more time than expected.

1 minute ago, thomas1142 said:

I had a complete panel makeover to include 2xG3X (10” & 7”), G5, EDM 900 (install only), CiES senders, USB charger, GFC 500 2 new panels cut, and LED panel lights for way less than that.

Contact http://www.precision-avionics.com, they did a great job for me. Easy to work with, stuck to their $ estimate, just allow for more time than expected.

Thanks Tomas, I actually already got a quote from Scotty there and it very good as well.  Given all of the positive feedback from other Mooney owners putting in similar equipment I'll definitely go with them if I end up traveling to have it done.

Just now, bradp said:

I’ll second contacting Jake at Daytona.  I ended up using the shop a 30 min flight from home, but their pricing was right in line and they have a great reputation. 

David,  while I have never had any work done by Daytona personally, I have been present when they have done a few prebuys for my clients, avionics work etc and they are standup guys. Jake has always went the extra mile to make the customer happy. SHAMELESS PLUG...Daytona Aircraft services is a sponsor of the Mooney Summit, they give back to the Mooney Community directly. THanks for your contribution to the Mooney Community, Jake!

• Like 1