Avionics Estimate of the Day

Davidv

8 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I have 6 apples, my friend has 3 apples.  Together we have 8 apples? 

:blink:

I thought of that too, they must have been factoring in a week of coffee and smoke breaks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davidv said:

I thought of that too, they must have been factoring in a week of coffee and smoke breaks.

Nah, with their pricing I'm thinking they've got more serious 'habits' to support! :o

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2020 at 7:53 PM, Davidv said:

I thought you guys may get a quick laugh on the avionics quote I got from Sarasota.  I'm potentially looking at putting in a G3X, G5, GFC500 and got a pretty good quote from a shop that was recommended by another Mooney owner.  Just for good measure, I decided to get a second quote from Sarasota Avionics since they are nearby. 

Again, the quote is only for a G3X, GFC500 (3 servo), G5 backup

Sarasota: $62,360.00 including 285 hours of labor.  Also included in that quote is $7,600 for a pilots panel.   Apparently I'm getting the gold flake version.

Include the yaw servo if you can.  You won’t regret it. @Davidv you might want to touch base with @jclemens.  They did a quote for me that was right in line.  

On 5/20/2020 at 1:53 AM, Davidv said:

I thought you guys may get a quick laugh on the avionics quote I got from Sarasota.  I'm potentially looking at putting in a G3X, G5, GFC500 and got a pretty good quote from a shop that was recommended by another Mooney owner.  Just for good measure, I decided to get a second quote from Sarasota Avionics since they are nearby. 

Sarasota: $62,360.00 including 285 hours of labor.  Also included in that quote is $7,600 for a pilots panel.   Apparently I'm getting the gold flake version.

Didn't you tell'em you bring your own Mooney?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bradp said:

Include the yaw servo if you can.  You won’t regret it. @Davidv you might want to touch base with @jclemens.  They did a quote for me that was right in line.  

Thanks @bradp.  While there is no doubt the yaw servo adds some value, I'm curious about the specific usefulness since I have electric rudder trim.  In a plane without rudder trim, I could see it being highly useful in climbs and descents.  While in cruise in NAV mode the yaw servo wouldn't be used much in my plane.

Since I'm not very educated on this subject can you let me know if I'm missing something?

@Davidv you are absolutely correct.  I believe @donkaye has rudder trim and the YD servo and seems to like it.  @Bob - S50, me and I’m  sure some others have no rudder trim and the YD servo.  The ride is definitely improved in turbulence with the servo.  I’d estimate that 80% of “tail wag” is eliminated and it improves the ride in turbulence maybe 20-25%.  For those of us without rudder trim, it allows for feet off climbs and descents, which is fantastic.  If you didn’t have rudder trim I’d advocate for it, but since you do it’s just a comfort vs cost / budget calculus. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davidv said:

Thanks @bradp.  While there is no doubt the yaw servo adds some value, I'm curious about the specific usefulness since I have electric rudder trim.  In a plane without rudder trim, I could see it being highly useful in climbs and descents.  While in cruise in NAV mode the yaw servo wouldn't be used much in my plane.

Since I'm not very educated on this subject can you let me know if I'm missing something?

I only have a few hours in a mid body. However, after a lot of hours in a short and long body I’d definitely recommend the servo in a short body because of tail wag but not necessarily in the long body. The rudder trim is a separate system, is retained, and needs to be adjusted during flight because the servo is not strong enough to keep it trimmed. 

On 5/19/2020 at 7:53 PM, Davidv said:

A few years ago when it was time to have the GDL-88 installed, I requested  estimates from several local and distant shops. Sarasota was the highest at $3,000 more than the others. In the end I had selected Treasure Coast up in Fort Pierce and am still happy with the work they did, all these years later.

6 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

A few years ago when it was time to have the GDL-88 installed, I requested  estimates from several local and distant shops. Sarasota was the highest at $3,000 more than the others. In the end I had selected Treasure Coast up in Fort Pierce and am still happy with the work they did, all these years later.

I actually had Treasure Coast put in my GNX-375 and was happy with both their price and service.  It didn't work perfectly at first and I did have to go back a few times, but Cathy really went out of her way to make sure things were made right.  I know it can be challenging to interface a brand new piece of equipment with other avionics that are 20-30 yrs old.  However, for this larger installation I feel more comfortable going with a shop that has installed the same setup in my exact plane multiple times and they are a little too small for that.

For a significant panel upgrade, it takes a full two days to figure out what will remain in the plane, and how to interface it to the new equipment. Another day to insure the new things will fit into an existing panel without requiring a new one. And if a new panel has to be cut, it's another day to lay it out, proof it, and send the print to be cut. Wiring new avionics is less time consuming than older equipment. There are a lot fewer wires since most communications are RS232, ethernet & ARINC, but the quality of wires and connections has to be higher to ensure HIRF/RFI protection of the signals. Removing old wiring is tedious, it can take 2-3 days to do it properly. That's why so many shops leave most of it, cutting off what's easy to get to, and leaving the rest.

Things like this are broken out on a good estimate, so the shop can show you where they are spending your money for a quality job. When you get a lump sum estimate, ask for a detailed one. If they can't give one, then they don't know what they're doing. I had to allocate manpower among more than a dozen techs working on our company-owned aircraft, and also on outside customer's aircraft. The accountant wanted every minute of everyone's time billed, and I gave it to him. It's not only possible, it's the only way the shop can stay in business.

4 hours ago, Davidv said:

Electric rudder trim and yaw damping are two entirely different animals.  I center the rudder in level flight with the YD off, then turn it on.  In  turbulence it makes a worthwhile difference.  It's cheap for the benefit  in my opinion.

1 minute ago, 59Moonster said:

Last October got a quote from them. Earliest availability was Feb 2020

For G3x with G5 backup and engine information quote was $42k and was expected to take 2 months.

I don't know who is paying their prices. But dang!

Nobody is. That's the "go away and leave me alone" quote. Guess it's a good thing that they have a lot of business?

• Haha 1

I got the yaw damper in 52Q. IMO its definitely worth it. It makes quite a noticeable different in turbulence. I don't have rudder trim, but as don stated, those are 2 different things, that accomplish 2 very different tasks. If you look at the pireps for the GFC500, every person that has gotten the yaw damper has said its worth it, regardless of the aircraft. the yaw damper can be on without the gfc500 being active, and even hand flying it, you notice a pretty large difference. I would strongly advise getting it. The moment you try it is the moment you'll realize you want it. The people that are advising against it are the ones that haven't tried it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Niko182 said:

I got the yaw damper in 52Q. IMO its definitely worth it. It makes quite a noticeable different in turbulence. I don't have rudder trim, but as don stated, those are 2 different things, that accomplish 2 very different tasks. If you look at the pireps for the GFC500, every person that has gotten the yaw damper has said its worth it, regardless of the aircraft. the yaw damper can be on without the gfc500 being active, and even hand flying it, you notice a pretty large difference. I would strongly advise getting it. The moment you try it is the moment you'll realize you want it. The people that are advising against it are the ones that haven't tried it.

I’ve got to agree with Niko182.  It’s worth it if it can fit into the budget.