Avionics Estimate of the Day

Davidv

I thought you guys may get a quick laugh on the avionics quote I got from Sarasota.  I'm potentially looking at putting in a G3X, G5, GFC500 and got a pretty good quote from a shop that was recommended by another Mooney owner.  Just for good measure, I decided to get a second quote from Sarasota Avionics since they are nearby. 

Again, the quote is only for a G3X, GFC500 (3 servo), G5 backup

Sarasota: $62,360.00 including 285 hours of labor.  Also included in that quote is $7,600 for a pilots panel.   Apparently I'm getting the gold flake version.

• Like 1

Just now, MATTS875 said:

Wow. Seems like a lot of labor cost figured in the quote. I’m sure the other quote will be a lot less painful

Yes, the other quote was a little more than half that amount.

• Like 1

Just now, StevenL757 said:

They’re learning how to do several things on his dime apparently. 

Yep.  It's crazy in the era of internet forums that a niche business would throw a quote out like that...don't they know we talk to one another, compare quotes and work product, etc?  Perhaps Sarasota has become so popular that they are only looking for BizJet work now...

Currently drafting my response:

Option A) "I thought I said this was only for (1) plane, should I just cut this amount in half to get my estimate?"

Option b) "I think Garmin already got the STC for my plane, you don't have to include the labor needed to obtain a new STC.  Please revise and send back"

Edited by Davidv
  • Haha 5

Just now, MIm20c said:

$42k in labor to install the g3x. IIRC you only have a 375 to interface with...should be about the easiest install they could deal with. 

Exactly, they aren't interfacing with any legacy equipment, just integrating the latest Garmin toys which are advertised to play nicely with each other.  I guess this was their way of saying they didn't want to work on a Mooney.

3 minutes ago, Davidv said:

Currently drafting my response:

Option A) "I thought I said this was only for (1) plane, should I just cut this amount in half to get my estimate?"

Option b) "I think Garmin already got the STC for my plane, you don't have to include the labor needed to obtain a new STC.  Please revise and send back"

I have a third reply, but won’t post due to this being essentially a family environment.

• Like 1

David,

Did you specifically tell them that you would supply the Mooney..?

Looks like they may have included a baseline M20C in the offer....

Might be the interpretation of said document... :)

Is this a post-pandemic quote, from a shop that has been closed for social distancing?

A few quotes have been posted around here over the years under similar conditions... the cover letter looks similar to this....

Dear avionics client,

We regret to inform you...

We are unable to take / get your business...

Unfortunately, we can’t tell you why...  (a real reason, we would rather not discuss publicly...)

So please accept our token, super high priced, quotation...

It will be your decision, to refuse our genuine offer...

If for some reason, you agree to our outrageous price, and select this offer...

We will hire the needed personnel, and purchase the equipment required to research and build....

The most awesome big G panel in any Mooney ever....

Please don’t do any further research, or look at any pics on MS...

...And for a few AMU more... we can include the Txi version... and large screens... with specs to be written later...

Its all up to you...

Thanks for considering our speedy Avionics shop....

Please note... MOCs contain no AuRIC metals or coatings... expect delivery in the third quarter, (no year listed)

(Signed Auric Goldfinger...)

On the back of the quote there will be lots of fine print.... mostly ways the agreement can be terminated...

:) satire of how some shops handle an overflow of business opportunities...

PP thoughts only, not an instrument salesman... but I have seen a few oddities like this go by...

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

285 friggin' hours???

WTF???

Ask them if the price is based on using their BLIND employee!  Actually, a blind guy could probably beat that time...maybe they're using the guy with no hands:o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Davidv said:

I thought you guys may get a quick laugh on the avionics quote I got from Sarasota.  I'm potentially looking at putting in a G3X, G5, GFC500 and got a pretty good quote from a shop that was recommended by another Mooney owner.  Just for good measure, I decided to get a second quote from Sarasota Avionics since they are nearby. 

Again, the quote is only for a G3X, GFC500 (3 servo), G5 backup

Sarasota: $62,360.00 including 285 hours of labor.  Also included in that quote is $7,600 for a pilots panel.   Apparently I'm getting the gold flake version.

Huh - maybe they accidentally transposed the 2 and the 6 as a typo?  $26,360 would be an excellent but plausible price.  $62,360 is the get out of here we don't want your business quote.

• Like 1

Rough estimate is that’s about $20,000 in hardware alone, using rule of thumb that labor is half the cost, then I would expect $40000 estimate. What’s your current GPS? There’s a shop in Fort Pierce that’s used to working with G3X/G5/GFC from experimental side. Their dual G5 install I got a few years back was very reasonable.

For comparison, here's what I received from my extremely well-regarded and highly-competent shop today for more work starting on 15-June...costs are a bulk "all-in" number.

• $5,000 - Installation and supply of a new Garmin GTN750Xi as #1 GPS/NAV/COM in place of existing GTN-750.  Chartview Enablement transfers over to new GTN-750Xi
  • $13,000 - Remove KX-165 (#2 NAV/COM).  Install New Garmin GTN-650Xi as #2 GPS/NAV/COM.  Interface to existing GA37 antenna located on upper mid fuselage
  • $3,250 - EDM900 to EDM930 upgrade.  Includes powder-coat of new panel and labor
  • $14,150 - Removal and trade-in Garmin GDU-620 (G500) Primary Flight Display.  Installation of a New Garmin GDU-1060 Primary Flight Display (G500TXi).  Interface GDU-1060 to existing GRS-77 AHRS and GDC-74A installations.  Installation of optional GCU-478 PFD Controller.  Chartview and Synthetic Vision enablements transfer with this upgrade promotion at no extra charge

Total of 35,400.

So...to @Davidv, I'd really love to hear what Sarasota's replies are to your install costs.  Make the trip up here.  They will be most happy to accommodate you.  :-)

Steve

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

For comparison, here's what I received from my extremely well-regarded and highly-competent shop today for more work starting on 15-June...costs are a bulk "all-in" number.

• $5,000 - Installation and supply of a new Garmin GTN750Xi as #1 GPS/NAV/COM in place of existing GTN-750.  Chartview Enablement transfers over to new GTN-750Xi
  • $13,000 - Remove KX-165 (#2 NAV/COM).  Install New Garmin GTN-650Xi as #2 GPS/NAV/COM.  Interface to existing GA37 antenna located on upper mid fuselage
  • $3,250 - EDM900 to EDM930 upgrade.  Includes powder-coat of new panel and labor
  • $14,150 - Removal and trade-in Garmin GDU-620 (G500) Primary Flight Display.  Installation of a New Garmin GDU-1060 Primary Flight Display (G500TXi).  Interface GDU-1060 to existing GRS-77 AHRS and GDC-74A installations.  Installation of optional GCU-478 PFD Controller.  Chartview and Synthetic Vision enablements transfer with this upgrade promotion at no extra charge

Total of 35,400.

So...to @Davidv, I'd really love to hear what Sarasota's replies are to your install costs.  Make the trip up here.  They will be most happy to accommodate you.  :-)

Steve

Their response was typical: "Well what's your budget?  We could look at shaving some costs off...Mooneys are tough to work on".  I pointed out the ridiculousness of the labor amount and said don't waste your time, you clearly have enough work, but thanks anyway.

The other shop which was recommended by another Mooney owner was about half Sarasota's quote.  They also tell me that they've done this same setup in 5 long bodies so far.  It's a littler far @StevenL757 but I'll let you know!

10 minutes ago, Davidv said:

Their response was typical: "Well what's your budget?  We could look at shaving some costs off...Mooneys are tough to work on".

Pardon my language, but that's the biggest bullshit answer if I've ever heard one.  I wouldn't let them touch my Ovation for anything...and with replies like that, you're wise to walk away...even if the costs were reasonable.

Keep us posted.  :-)

Steve

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Pardon my language, but that's the biggest bullshit answer if I've ever heard one.  I wouldn't let them touch my Ovation for anything...and with replies like that, you're wise to walk away...even if the costs were reasonable.

Keep us posted.  :-)

Steve

I am thinking it is the new BS way of doing things.  Years ago I had UPS ask what my margin was on the product, none of their effin business and recently looking at another sales channel and they asked what my manufacturing costs were and my sales price, guess what the answer was again?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mark89114 said:

I am thinking it is the new BS way of doing things.  Years ago I had UPS ask what my margin was on the product, none of their effin business and recently looking at another sales channel and they asked what my manufacturing costs were and my sales price, guess what the answer was again?

Reminds me of this: 

• Like 1

Latest response from Sarasota after I questioned their labor hours: “it will take one avionics tech 6 weeks and another 3 weeks to complete your plane.  Your plane will be down for 8 weeks for this”.

I wonder if they think that the internet and phones don’t exist.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Davidv said:

“it will take one avionics tech 6 weeks and another 3 weeks to complete your plane.  Your plane will be down for 8 weeks for this”.

I have 6 apples, my friend has 3 apples.  Together we have 8 apples? 

:blink:

• Haha 2