1985 M20K Intercooler

TNIndy

Many 231s have been updated over the years...

• preferred engine block....
  • MP controller...
  • Intercooler...
  • Rocket package... :)

Nothing wrong with the original set-up....  just more options became available over the years...

Backwards integration is always a possibility... just make sure you know before you buy...

PPhoughts only, not a plane sales guy....

Best regards,

-a-

23 hours ago, TNIndy said:

Did the 1985 231 have a factory installed inter-cooler or was the 252 the first? 

I have 25-0883 - one of the last 231's built in '85.   LB, Merlyn, GAMI.   No intercooler.  I can't say in two years of ownership that I've ever had a moment where I said "damn, I wish I had an intercooler".  I'll probably install the Turboplus next year just to bring it closer to 252 spec - but I'm not desperate to do that in any way. 

I finally have the logs for the 1985 231. Inter-cooler and Merlyn wastegate were installed not long after initial purchase. More recently #1,3, and 5 cylinders were replaced due to low compression in the first 600 hrs on a factory re-manufactured engine. #5 cylinder has been replaced twice. Ideas as to why this might happen? 

18 minutes ago, TNIndy said:

I finally have the logs for the 1985 231. Inter-cooler and Merlyn wastegate were installed not long after initial purchase. More recently #1,3, and 5 cylinders were replaced due to low compression in the first 600 hrs on a factory re-manufactured engine. #5 cylinder has been replaced twice. Ideas as to why this might happen? 

"due to low compression"......  that's not sufficient to condemn a cylinder.  See Mike Busch on the subject:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/may/pilot/savvy-maintenance-borescope

That said, if you fly a 231 in a ham-fisted fashion you will fry the cylinders and mid-life top overhauls are common enough. Why it's #1,#3 and 2x #5 I leave to the experts.  

Some planes live in a different environment...

They are treated like a business machine....

Flown in flying dragon mode... cylinders only go half as far... (economic choice, not a safety issue...)

A Continental cylinder #5... is up front on the co-pilot side... often hiding behind the alternator... (less airflow because of it...)

Flown LOP, with an eye on CHTs... non-flying dragon  is quite possible to have a set of cylinders go much further...

See if you can check the JPI data... it may show what is going on with the engine over time...

Best regards,

-a-