Oh no! Snowbirds . . . .

I’ve always enjoyed the Snowbirds performances. There is a gracefulness to their routine that makes them unique. I got to see a Tutor up close once in 2017. One Snowbird was repositioning from Victoria to the Abbotsford air show as I was returning to Seattle from Nanaimo BC in a float Beaver. Victoria Terminal told me that a Tutor would pass beneath me and sure enough we crossed paths. The Snowbird was 500’ below an blipped his smoke on an off as he passed beneath. The passengers loved it.

Their kind of flying is risky. Not sure about the Snowbirds, but the Blue Angels have a pilot fatality rate of about 10%.

Skip

On 5/19/2020 at 1:18 AM, PT20J said:

I’ve always enjoyed the Snowbirds performances. There is a gracefulness to their routine that makes them unique. I got to see a Tutor up close once in 2017. One Snowbird was repositioning from Victoria to the Abbotsford air show as I was returning to Seattle from Nanaimo BC in a float Beaver. Victoria Terminal told me that a Tutor would pass beneath me and sure enough we crossed paths. The Snowbird was 500’ below an blipped his smoke on an off as he passed beneath. The passengers loved it.

Their kind of flying is risky. Not sure about the Snowbirds, but the Blue Angels have a pilot fatality rate of about 10%.

Skip

You think you got close to the Snowbirds? I think I beat you... by far... i can state (proof in hand) that  I was no further than 20 feet....

Picture in next post...

Just now, yvesg said:

You think you got close to the Snowbirds? I think I beat you... by far... i can state (proof in hand) that  I was no further than 20 feet....

Picture in next post...

0533AA93-812B-4E83-A6A3-E22417769C73.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We were most fortunate to have our Central Coast Airfest host the Snowbirds in October 2018 at SMX.  Amazing show they supplied!

I have an end hangar approximately 100 feet or so from our parallel taxiway Alpha.  We had a great view of the planes and pilots [including the deceased young lady] as they rolled by waving at us after each flight.  So very sad.

In the photo, based on the smoke trails, it appears as there were two ejections.