Some people’s children

So I went up with the instructor today after not having loggable time in 7 months due to several conflicts and we were just doing pattern work at KSLG. ABOUT 15 minutes in we here a 172 state they were taxiing to the active. We were already abeam the numbers and since they would still need to do their run up we turned base, final, and did a touch-n-go. They took off behind us and we heard them state they were leaving the pattern to the northwest.  We did a few more circuits while announcing all movements(departing, crosswind, downwind, base, final). On an approach I saw the 172 doing some lazy spirals northwest of the field at about pattern altitude and pointed it out to the instructor.  They continually got closer to the field to the point that at one point I would say they circled over the taxiway. Mind you that they were at pattern altitude. We made sure to stay clear and at one point I left/widened my pattern as to allow for separation. We made several radio calls and verified our radios were working but never got any indication that they heard us when we tried contacting them directly. Unfortunately we didn’t have adsb in with us. I know that radio traffic isn’t required at uncontrolled fields but no one should be circling at pattern altitude in a way that you overlap the pattern or come close enough to cause aircraft in the pattern to deviate to provide separation. I am glad that I had this experience with my instructor and that he never once felt like he needed the controls. I kept a visual on them the entire time and any time I deviated from our normal pattern I vocalized it and told him exactly what I was doing. 

Don’t be that guy please 

Great pirep, Paul!

Every now and then we get one like that...

A recent one was a pilot that decided clearing turns were not needed... and just started maneuvering in front of a Mooney in cruise...

somebody suggested Using Whelen turn signals... :)

The fun part of Mooney cruising... often, it is at an altitude where few silly airplane tricks are performed...

Would you prefer 12.5k’ or 17?

Strive to be predictable, expect that others may not be on the same plan for precision....

Best regards,

-a-