Elevator rubbing , problem or not???

I noticed that my elevator is rubbing my empennage pretty badly. It looks off center. Almost like it is torqued to the left. When I move my trim up and down, the right elevator scrapes agents the empennage. Does anyone know if this is something to be concerned about? If nothing else, it seems like it will wear the surface down over time. It is so tight on the right side that I can't get a piece of paper between them, very tight on the right, but a good sized gap on the left. Any input will be really appreciated, the first 2 photos are of the right side, you can see it is wearing the paint away as the trim is adjusted, the second 2 photos are of the left side, you can see the gap. 

IMG_20200517_164645640_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200517_164640223_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200517_164624687.jpg

IMG_20200517_164621668.jpg

Yes, sorry my horizontal stabilizer, and yes some of it wasn't painted, but it is definitely making contact up there by the leading edge and is pushing together with some force, causing a little wear, I can measure the gap on the left stabilizer ( the second 2 photos) but the right, it is very tight. I will get more photos of it tomorrow. I

Andrew,

Be sitting down while reading this... :(

There seems to be some change beneath the paint going on....

Things don’t usually start rubbing on Mooney flight control surfaces....

I looked at one of the pics....

It may be photographic related... but important to check on in real life...

What is going on between the two blue arrows... is that a dent?

It looks like a dent with paint cracks because of it...

I could be way off... but something changed relationships... find that change...

Start with the mark on the paint... is that an impact mark?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

6B164955-728B-476B-B057-DA2E8700010A.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrewmx2955 said:

I noticed that my elevator is rubbing my empennage pretty badly. It looks off center. Almost like it is torqued to the left. When I move my trim up and down, the right elevator scrapes agents the empennage. Does anyone know if this is something to be concerned about? If nothing else, it seems like it will wear the surface down over time. It is so tight on the right side that I can't get a piece of paper between them, very tight on the right, but a good sized gap on the left. Any input will be really appreciated, the first 2 photos are of the right side, you can see it is wearing the paint away as the trim is adjusted, the second 2 photos are of the left side, you can see the gap. 

IMG_20200517_164645640_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200517_164624687.jpg

IMG_20200517_164621668.jpg

You are describing damage as if the tail has been hit...

Something odd has happened... not just a piece of old rubber coming loose...

Do you have a local mechanic to help you with this one?

This is in the do not fly category until more is known...

Expect that something could be deformed, and a real possibility of flight control jamming may be of concern...

Where/when did this happen?  Is there any surveillance cameras that may have seen this?

I’m hoping to be wrong about my observation...  just didn’t want to be quiet about what I think I see...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

Carusoam, I don't have any idea when this might have happened, I bought the plane last year and I spent a full year overhauling literally everything on it. I noticed this during my preflight inspection. The wear appears to be newish... I have only put 20 hours on it since finishing the overhaul and haven't don't anything that would have caused that. Is this what it would look like if someone overturned the nose gear when pushing it into a tie down?

See the big label that says Do not push...

That is because it is sensitive to compression...

Have your mechanic inspect it to see if something can be adjusted or replaced...

run the trim full up and full down...

See what causes the flight controls to bind...

Keep both eyes open...

When you box out the controls, checking free, and correct...   it doesn’t look like it passes the test under some conditions...

Did you do any transition training? Or pre-purchase inspection?

If yes, see if they can help you identify what is going on?

See if @M20Doc has seen anything like that...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Only a guess, the fit of the fuselage fairing or the rubber moulding may be off a bit.  The rubber moulding being painted has become stiff and is now wearing on the plastic fairing.  Order new moulding and new glue and replace it.

I doubt the tail is falling off.

Clarence

AB74D16E-476C-4662-91FB-FC0316F79B3B.jpeg

Edited by M20Doc

Rather than panic that this is something serious, the first thing I'd do is remove BOTH rubber moldings and measure the distance from the fuselage to the edge of the horizontal stab on BOTH sides. If they are the same I'd just replace the moldings as M20Doc suggests.

Edited by MikeOH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all the info, you all know your Mooney's very well. This is an M20K (no clue how you knew it was a J/K from the pics I posted) and I was with my mechanic first thing in the morning talking to him about it. My mechanic in SMO has been working on this plane for the last 12 months, so he and his whole shop know it inside and out. The only damage this plane has ever had was when a line guy over rotated the nose gear during pushing (not at SMO) my mechanic was quick to move the trim from stop to stop and didn't have any concerns. I just put a new engine in it and my instructor and I have put 30 hours on it in the last week, we never felt any indication of a problem. I believe it is a moulding problem, you guy guys called it all, it looks like the last time it was painting, the moulding may have been loose and it glued it in the wrong position, I am going to replace that and get to the bottom of this

• Like 2

That is good to hear...   ^^^^

See what it takes to get that molding replaced... Some special mechanical trick...(?)

There is probably an easy way to get it done...

It looks pretty tough to do.

My 65C had the molding on it for so long... it degraded and got painted over... missing parts and all.... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

PRC?

Tom

That seam is where the h-stab moves up and down along the empennage first trim.  You need a rubber trim piece that allows a gap between the stab and the fuselage wall so it doesn’t interfere.