Ideas for Gust Locks

pilot_jb

I’m starting to use my Mooney for something more than local trips for Breakfast and lunch at the many airport diners available around my area. Longer CCs where I’m forced to leave my plane outside at strange airports for days, or even weeks, is going to be more common for me. 

I found instructions for homemade gust locks in the paperwork I received from the previous owners (see attached). However, they do not appear to be adaptable to plane with gap seals, such as mine. 

Does anyone have any alternate ideas you’re willing to share? 

Thanks!

0A417988-0D19-4963-8EA9-3CFC265B2138.jpeg

F1D6A382-F224-42E7-A8B5-7D738CF2B741.jpeg

Well if it's really gusts you're worried about, I have a ratchet strap that I hook to the copilot rudder pedal, wrap it around both yokes a couple of times and hook it back up to the rudder pedal. Holds elevator, aileron, and rudder in place with no flutter in up to 50 knot winds (strongest we've had so far...).

If it's more of a wheel lock, anti-theft solution you're looking for, then I don't know. I just buy insurance. :-)

Rudders don’t move because they are attached to the nose wheel...

Airlerons are best held in place with bungees between the yokes...  two seconds to install/remove... +low cost.

When thunderstorms are coming through... another bungy from pedals to yoke to hold the elevator in one place.... often seat belts get employed for this...

When winds get above 50kts...   you have other things rolling by that are more of a concern...

Quality of tie-down ropes is really important... get a good set for neighboring planes... :)

The importance of these devices is to keep the flight surfaces from slamming into their limits... less important for holding them in one particular position...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

I’ve been moving the passenger seat full forward, and then wrapping the lap belt around and tightening to suit. My concern has been causing a crack, which is to be inspected each year. 

I’ll try bungees between both yokes. 

When I was renting Pipers, I came across this nifty utility:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/atcontrollocks.php?gclid=CjwKCAjwwYP2BRBGEiwAkoBpAvbW3T9pYnPVzasqhlKz-z0sf71mgrHxTggQb9PXhYEvx9G45_WBiRoCKS0QAvD_BwE

It surely can be used for the ailerons, but to control the elevators would need to devise a clip/button that Pipers have on the side of the throttle quadrant.

Would be amazing if someone can adapt this for mooneys :-)

I put a strap between the yokes for the ailerons. Rolling the trim full nose down will cause the trim bungees on the A-J models to keep the elevator from banging around. The K and on have a downspring. The nosewheel holds the rudder. 

Skip

6 hours ago, shawnd said:

When I was renting Pipers, I came across this nifty utility:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/atcontrollocks.php?gclid=CjwKCAjwwYP2BRBGEiwAkoBpAvbW3T9pYnPVzasqhlKz-z0sf71mgrHxTggQb9PXhYEvx9G45_WBiRoCKS0QAvD_BwE

It surely can be used for the ailerons, but to control the elevators would need to devise a clip/button that Pipers have on the side of the throttle quadrant.

Would be amazing if someone can adapt this for mooneys :-)

There is one for Mooney.   I have one and love it.

I used to use the seatbelt method until my IA pointed out that keeps the elevator in the full up position.  If the plane were to come untied, that’s exactly where you don’t want it in high winds.  A strong wind from either the front or the rear could flip the plane.  His recommendation was to simply run the trim full nose down and let the bungees do the rest.

• Like 1

I have been using York Gust locks for a long time.  They are easy to install.  I put them on the copilot side so I can install and remove them while outside the plane.  

https://gustlock.com/product_info.asp

I have one for Piper aircraft which I am not using and can sell inexpensively.  There are only 2 differences which can be easily modified.  The long bar should meet the "T" in the middle of the "T".  Cut the long bar with a hack saw and reweld it in the middle.  Then put a twist in the two rudder pedal hooks by cold twisting each 90 degrees.  That will convert the configuration so it can be used with a Mooney.  If interested, I can send you a picture of the Mooney version.  New they are expensive, but work quite well.

The attached 2 pictures are of the Piper version.

John Breda

York Gust Lock - Piper.jpg

York Gust Lock Piper.jpg

My contact phone is (617) 877-0025 and my e-mail is john.breda@gmail.com.

The 90 degree twist in the rudder hooks can be easily placed in the straight section.  The metal can be cold worked without a problem in a vise and an open-end wrench.

John Breda