Which iPad to buy

18 hours ago, khedrei said:

I hate apple. But I'm working on putting in a panel mount ipad mini only because guardian doesnt make a flush mount for a Samsung. I've only had my samsung phone overheat once. Cause I left it on a dark desk in the sun in the dead of summer. You arent the first person to mention an ipad overheating. Good thing my guardian mount has a fan. 

I don't let emotions get involved in brand names. Hate is a very strong emotion. I just choose what I feel is the best product for me, fully understanding that other people have the same right to make those choices for themselves.  Some people choose to use a smart phone, others choose to use an Android .. lol Just kidding.

On the subject of overheating, I've had an iPad since they came out in 2010. Once I left it in the cockpit in the middle of the summer, in the sun, for an hour. It was completely my fault. Once I let it cool down for 10 minutes it worked just fine. Ever since then I haven't left it in the sun and I use it on a magnetic mount, vertically, out of a case, so it stays cool. I've never bought a fan for any of them and I've never had one overheat since then.

(Stupidly when it was 99 degrees here in TX on Monday I left my iPhone on the front seat of my car, in its case, in the sun, for an hour. Again completely my fault. After i got back in the car and I was I was driving down the road and realized what I had done, it took about a minute of putting it in front of an AC vent without the case to resuscitate it. I didn't have to do CPR or mouth-to mouth, but I would have been willing. :D)

• Like 1

I hate Apple because of the price... When you are on the 10th device, those prices all add up...

I love Apple because of the simplicity... No lost files, hidden somewhere... the device that took the picture shares with the one that is getting typed on... and does the navigating on weekends...

Classic love / hate relationship...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hoot777 said:

iPad mini or full size iPad ?..  it’s Father’s Day 

Mount on pilot's yoke? Mini.

Mount elsewhere (co-pilot side of panel, knee board, etc.)? Full size.

Buy new. FF just released a notice saying an upcoming version of their software will require IOS/iPadOS 13 as a minimum.

2 minutes ago, McMooney said:

if it must be an IPAD, get an IPad Mini5 with cellular.

Not to big, not to small, fast and has gps built in.

Cellular is great for filing, checking weather, calling ubers, blah blah blah.

oh yeah Facetime.

Just a side note, you do not have to activate the cellular for it to work.... most all of the newer cell phones can be a hotspot for weather and filing 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Danb said:

What program are you running on the left one Ken, notice baro reading on left iPad

Don't hold me to it, but it looks like it is the Avidyne IFD 100 app connected to his IFD 550.