Which iPad to buy

22 minutes ago, Adi said:

+1 for the cellular version. An electrical failure will cause you to lose all navigation - GPS and ground-based. It certainly would be nice to have an independent GPS at that time.

Also if there's a GPS outage (interference or government testing) having the cellular version will allow you to pick up GLONASS (Russian) satellites which will still allow you navigate on the iPad.

3 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Also if there's a GPS outage (interference or government testing) having the cellular version will allow you to pick up GLONASS (Russian) satellites which will still allow you navigate on the iPad.

Does it auto switch to GLONASS if GPS is lost? if not, how do you select?

On 5/16/2020 at 4:19 PM, airtim said:

I am looking for advice on which iPad to buy for the sole purpose to run foreflight. Is the latest and greatest necessary? What size storage? I am planning on using the basic plus subscription primarily for ADSB weather. 

There are a lot of apps out there. I suggest you not lock yourself into ForeFlight. Personally I rank that app fairly low, there are a number of better, and cheaper apps.

9 hours ago, Unit74 said:

What some of you guys saying Does not makes sense. Those who are saying not to get GPS fail to understand that if he loses the onboard GPS stream, it’s all dead. If he bought the cell version the airplane icon still flies so to speak. You lose ADHRS of course, but speed track, direction altitude all remain. 

I really think buying the cell enabled version is prudent, even if you do not activate it. Heck, I’ve taken it on commercial flights and had it flying just like the big boys, sans an AI. Just get a window seat so you get a line of sight to the constellation. 

You may have mis-understood what people are saying... :)

The option for the iPad...

• Get it with the low accuracy, non-waas gps.... (a fairly good option, but won’t measure T/O distance very well)
  • Or get it without the gps....   But, only if you have another gps device to tether it to....

Note the examples of tethered WAAS and non-waas devices being used with the low end iPads....

Anyone with a portable ADSB in device, is probably already tethered to a waas gps source...

Anyone with a cellphone running a back-up nav app can tether that extra gps to the iPad....

How many GPSi do you want to have, how many do you want to afford.... I have three... none in the iPad... only one panel mounted...

PP thoughts only, not an MS translator...

Best regards,

-a-

12 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

Does it auto switch to GLONASS if GPS is lost? if not, how do you select?

iOS locates the current location with all available services. That means GPS, mobile telephony transmitters (mobile cells), WLAN, and GLONASS. There is no way to select it or disable it.

8 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

iOS locates the current location with all available services. That means GPS, mobile telephony transmitters (mobile cells), WLAN, and GLONASS. There is no way to select it or disable it.

Thanks.  Good to know no action required.

The only time I see a difference in WAAS/non-WAAS.... is the bread crum trail... in CloudAhoy.

Non-WAAS... dots are one or two near the runway... (close enough to get home)

Waas.... so many dots... the T/O distance is measured in individual feet.... and shows exactly where I traveled on the surface.... and what paint stripe I touched on departure...

Ancient portable GPSi like a Garmin 196 (old lcd one, Y2K) it has WAAS.... but it’s computer speed only allows one bread crumb per second...

Best regards,

-a-

I have the 7th Gen Ipad (non cell), with both Garmin Pilot and FltPlan Go.  A GDL 39 3D provides the gps signal to the Ipad.  I also have the Aera 660 on the yoke.  Along with an Iphone XR that will hotspot with the Ipad.  Everything works well when it is not hot down here in Texas, but most of the time it is hot.  I use the Ipad for flight planning and then using connext, the ipad will send the flt plan over to the 660 and the panel mount GPS175.

249AA747-CA8C-4C79-B622-73DFBB0DA6AC_1_105_c.jpeg

I have the latest model Mini without cellular and normal size iPad with cellular. I wish I just got the cellular for the mini.  I have Project Fi which provides extra SIM cards for free so the cellular doesn't cost any extra per month.  

I like the full size iPad better, but it is too large to fit on the yoke so I leave the mini on the yoke and use the full size as a backup and for flight planning.

9 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

There are a lot of apps out there. I suggest you not lock yourself into ForeFlight. Personally I rank that app fairly low, there are a number of better, and cheaper apps.

What other apps work with a Stratus? 

Expect WingX to work with whatever ADSB source you have...unless the OEM is intentionally hiding from WingX....

The WingX folks Try to include everyone...

a base subscription for WingX costs a dollar... free to CFIs... a full subscription isn’t very expensive either... if you decide that it is right for you...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

My aging $179 wifi-only Samsung Galaxy Tab A has a GPS chip [take that, apple! You only put those in your pricier cellular models!], and it runs not only Avare [free! :) ] with every chart and plate that I could ever want, but everything else, too. Word, Excel, all of my documents, a zillion photos and of course two web browsers for Mooneyspace [the built-in one and Chrome]. The price difference with apple is dedicated towards panel upgrades, hopefully in not too many more years.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

The Apple devices claim to have GPS and GLONASS receivers. I don’t think any of the panel mount or most external GPS receivers have GLONASS capabilities.

i don’t know if the Apple devices will operate on GLONASS only.

Most of the portable GPS receivers use both GPS and GLONASS, only the very bottom entry level ones don't.  Even the home built Stratux units pick up GLONASS.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

Most of the portable GPS receivers use both GPS and GLONASS, only the very bottom entry level ones don't.  Even the home built Stratux units pick up GLONASS.

Good to know! Now I like my Sentry even more.

Does anyone know if they can function on GLONASS alone or do they just use it to fine tune the GPS information?

I knew when I posted the suggestion to get Cellular somebody would come along and say you don't need it, use a Stratus or something, and use your phone as a hotspot. And of course that is 100% possible. But the thing is, it is all about Convenience. It is convenient when the GPS just always works. It is inconvenient to pair your iPad to  your phone hotspot to file the flightplan away from home.  For $130 + $10/month to add it to your family share data plan you can make your life a lot simpler and more convenient.  And consider the non-aviation uses where it is convenient for the internet to just always work. No looking for a wifi hotspot. No wasted time. 

Here is next piece of controversial advice: Buy the maximum memory version. The memory is soldered to the board, so you cannot upgrade it later. Memory needs always grow, so what you need today will not be what you need tomorrow. This could even save money if it allows the device to have a longer lifetime.

Compared to the cost of aviation, these devices and their monthly service are so cheap as to not even move the needle.

Larry

• Like 2

I hate apple. But I'm working on putting in a panel mount ipad mini only because guardian doesnt make a flush mount for a Samsung. I've only had my samsung phone overheat once. Cause I left it on a dark desk in the sun in the dead of summer. You arent the first person to mention an ipad overheating. Good thing my guardian mount has a fan. 

1 hour ago, c177tx said:

Does not help, still overheats without the case on.  my Iphone XR and Ipad both overheated today.

Have you looked at any of the yoke mounts that have fans? I think @Danb mentioned he has one. Might help enough to keep it from cooking off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, c177tx said:

Does not help, still overheats without the case on.  my Iphone XR and Ipad both overheated today.

Texas can get a tad warm, but my iPhone and or iPad have never over heated unless it was being charged and/or in direct sunlight. When I say direct sunlight I mean laying flat on a seat, mounted on the yoke has never been a problem even with a black case. When I leave it in the plane during lunch runs it goes in a side or seat pocket to keep from tempting anyone from stealing it. What part of Texas are you in?

On 5/17/2020 at 12:02 PM, Jerry 5TJ said:

I just got a Mini 5 to replace my Mini 2 (the one with a hand crank...).  Nice upgrade. 

I selected the 256 GB version because ForeFlight by itself is using 48 GB of that.  I suppose I don’t REALLY need all of North America loaded — but if I have to divert to Gander, I’m ready.  

At least your Mini 2 was in color...... just replaced my mini (no number) with the mini 5 as well, honestly if WingX hadn’t required a higher IOS I would still be using it in the plane.

Have you looked at any of the yoke mounts that have fans? I think [mention=7739]Danb[/mention] mentioned he has one. Might help enough to keep it from cooking off.

Just point the footwell vent into the back of the ipad, again this won’t work if in the case. The back acts as a heat sink.

Window shades help as well, also makes it easier to read.

• Like 1