Which iPad to buy

I am looking for advice on which iPad to buy for the sole purpose to run foreflight. Is the latest and greatest necessary? What size storage? I am planning on using the basic plus subscription primarily for ADSB weather. 

For a CB....

Get the cheapest iPad in the store... (not old, used ones... this requires knowing what you are buying)

The lowest amount of memory... still works incredibly well... verify app required specs first before buying...

Really important...  you still need a GPS to supply the blue dot or airplane symbol... you need to pair another device that has a gps to make this happen... really easy if you have an iPhone to go with that...

Better if you have a portable WAAS/ADSB-in source... 

Get CloudAhoy too... often free...

Really annoying part of going the CB route... for the iPad.... if it loses the gps signal... the app will clearly tell you... you are looking at a static map....

Keeping so many devices charged and plugged in while near class B airspace can be extra challenging.... As soon as the HSI stops working in the panel... everything seems to go haywire quickly...

:)

PP thoughts only, being a CB is often a challenge... worth taking.

Best regards,

-a- 

I found Cloudahoy interferes with Garmin Pilot and probably other gps apps. EFBs use a lot of CPU, you’re better off dedicating the ipad to one app, use another device if you need to run other apps.
Good practice is to close all other apps, because they can run in the background.

• Like 1

I've just upgraded my iPad mini 2 cellar to a 64 GB iPad mini WiFi.

as for GPS and ADSB I am using a bad elf and a scout. Planning on buying a sentry but everything is working so it just gets put on hold

Elias,

You have a question for your Garmin end of the process...

What does the transponder use to communicate its gps position to your iPad?

wifi, or blue tooth? Do you have a flight stream 210 or 510 to go with that?

if you can get your WAAS position from your transponder, then the cellular/gps option is not needed...

under certain circumstances people have had difficulty with remote mounted devices in the tail communicating with iPads up front...

PP thoughts only, not a radio technician...

Best regards,

-a-

I'm also in the process of getting an EFB, I'm considering the ipad mini . I have a GTX345 installed in the AC, would I still need an Ipad with the cellular capabilities? Thanks. 

No you don’t. It will pair with the 345 and get GPS position and ADSB weather and traffic as well. Don’t need to buy the cellular version unless you want to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Cellular is nice if you’re using foreflight and you want to file or get a briefing (or “pack”) on the way to the airport or sitting on the ramp. You could also make your phone a WiFi hotspot and do it that way but mine doesn’t work reliably when I do that and it’s a pain.

I use Jeppesen maps and use the Bad Elf Wombat so it’s nice to always have a data plan in case I forgot to update the GPS database or need to send my engine monitor info to Savvy because something bad happened and I need their advice.

Speed difference on the newest mini vs previous one is pretty noticeable. 

Edit: and if you add a sentry you get a CO monitor, WAAS GPS, AHRS and ADS-B in.

Edited by ilovecornfields
  • Like 2

I just got a Mini 5 to replace my Mini 2 (the one with a hand crank...).  Nice upgrade. 

I selected the 256 GB version because ForeFlight by itself is using 48 GB of that.  I suppose I don’t REALLY need all of North America loaded — but if I have to divert to Gander, I’m ready.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just got a Mini 5 to replace my Mini 2 (the one with a hand crank...).  Nice upgrade. 
I selected the 256 GB version because ForeFlight by itself is using 48 GB of that.  I suppose I don’t REALLY need all of North America loaded — but if I have to divert to Gander, I’m ready.  

GP with Flitecharts, FAA VFR&IFR charts only uses about 16GB.
FltPlan Go (my backup app) uses 7GB.
So 64GB should be enough unless you use it for video.

I bought an iPad Pro, thinking I wanted all the horsepower and memory I could get.  But what a dumb move.  It's great for a kneeboard device, but way to big to mount anywhere else.  I should have saved the $$ and bought a mini...

10 hours ago, Ross Taylor said:

I bought an iPad Pro, thinking I wanted all the horsepower and memory I could get.  But what a dumb move.  It's great for a kneeboard device, but way to big to mount anywhere else.  I should have saved the $$ and bought a mini...

Which size pro? I have a 10.5 Pro which works on the yoke. The 12.9 Pro is definitely too big.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

Which size pro? I have a 10.5 Pro which works on the yoke. The 12.9 Pro is definitely too big.

I've got the "11" which is the 10.5... and it will fit on the yoke, but not comfortably (for me).  I'm not a huge fan of this heavy thing on the yoke, even though I do have the RAM clamp and mount for it.   It will work, but I just meant to let others know that more expensive isn't always best or necessary.  A mini would have worked just fine for me.  BTW, I am a G Pilot user and they recommend a 32GB iPad.  I didn't need this 256GB tablet.  And, as always, thanks for your great insight and continued involvement - you're definitely an asset here on MS.

I have the 11" 512MB iPad Pro cellular version and it sits on the yoke via a magnet mount. The iPad is primarily used in my flight bag but I use it for considerably more than that, hence the pro version. I don't have the iPad on a cellular plan but the cellular version comes with a GPS sensor, which comes in helpful. I use my Verizon Galaxy S105g Android phone as a hotspot and run Avare on it, so I have the best of both worlds with a completely independent flight chart backup that is 100% FREE. With Verizon, I've never been without connectivity and that includes hotspot services. My J has a Flight Stream 510 and GTX345, so database concierge works to keep the GTN610  up to date and I have traffic and weather on my yoke, which is very informative. With my old eyes, I would have a tough time using smaller devices. 

Edited by jonhop
  • Like 1

I have a mini 4, on my yoke, use a cooling fan yoke mount and wombat to keep it up to date. I also have a newer IPad Pro 11” I use for planning, backup backup charts and playing at home with. I haven’t mounted this one on the yoke, if need be I would use my knee mount. The cooling fan is a good investment

What some of you guys saying Does not makes sense. Those who are saying not to get GPS fail to understand that if he loses the onboard GPS stream, it’s all dead. If he bought the cell version the airplane icon still flies so to speak. You lose ADHRS of course, but speed track, direction altitude all remain. 

I really think buying the cell enabled version is prudent, even if you do not activate it. Heck, I’ve taken it on commercial flights and had it flying just like the big boys, sans an AI. Just get a window seat so you get a line of sight to the constellation. 

Edited by Unit74
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Unit74 said:

What some of you guys saying Does not makes sense. Those who are saying not to get GPS fail to understand that if he loses the onboard GPS stream, it’s all dead. If he bought the cell version the airplane icon still flies so to speak. You lose ADHRS of course, but speed track, direction altitude all remain. 

I think it all depends a lot on what else is in your panel. If all you have is a vacuum AI, Vacuum DG, one GPS that's talking to essentially nothing, and you're getting the iPad so you can have an EFB plus moving map GPS and Syn Vis...then, yeah, the cell version with GPS makes sense.

If you already have 3 AHRS in the panel, 2 WAAS and 1 non-WAAS GPS, all able to bluetooth to any device you bring into the cockipit--you probably don't need to spend the extra $100 on the cellular iPad.

OR--you can buy just about any Android tab and it comes with a GPS.

But-none of them, GPS or not, is going to give you Syn Viz with an attitude reference unless you have at least 1 AHRS source somewhere-- G5, G3X, FS210/510, GTX345, or a portable.