Searching for vintage Mooney in Omaha, Lincoln, Des Moines, Kansas City area

On 5/17/2020 at 5:14 PM, carusoam said:

Can you get to AAA?

http://allamericanaircraft.com/default.htm

Easiest way to sit in a variety of Mooneys....

C - G will all fit the same way from the front left seat....

Best regards,

-a-

Fortunately my local airport actually had a Mooney M20C come through for a bunch of avionics upgrades this week and I was able to sit in it for a bit.  Not bad little snug around the elbow shoulder area but plenty of room for the legs and kiddos in back.  I am going to see if the owner will take me up once the panel is done as he lives close by.  

On 5/17/2020 at 5:14 PM, carusoam said:

Can you get to AAA?

http://allamericanaircraft.com/default.htm

Easiest way to sit in a variety of Mooneys....

C - G will all fit the same way from the front left seat....

Best regards,

-a-

I may end up heading down to Texas to find a Mooney though.  They have the most options of anyone in one place as you said it seems.

• Like 1

If you're the same person who had made multiple requests for this on several forums... I'm glad one popped up to try on! I felt bad as the first time I saw someone post this request in the Omaha area was right after passing through on the way home after our trip out west. The elbow room thing is a little awkward with a friend, but with Amy in the right seat, I just use her leg as an armrest. It works. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steingar said:

As fast as they are, seems like most Mooneys never made it out of Texas. Good luck with your search.

Brownsville (KBRO) to Dalhart (KDHT), 661NM.....Orange (KORG) to El Paso (KELP), 655NM...... We need Monnies :D

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pilot boy said:

I may end up heading down to Texas to find a Mooney though.  They have the most options of anyone in one place as you said it seems.

I thought it was well worth the trip when I was looking for a Mooney.  You can learn a lot from looking at the inventory at AAA and talking to Jimmy.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2020 at 8:46 AM, Pasturepilot said:

If you're the same person who had made multiple requests for this on several forums... I'm glad one popped up to try on! I felt bad as the first time I saw someone post this request in the Omaha area was right after passing through on the way home after our trip out west. The elbow room thing is a little awkward with a friend, but with Amy in the right seat, I just use her leg as an armrest. It works. 

Yes I have been posting on several forums hunting for one.  I am amazed actually how few of the vintage Mooneys are around Omaha.  I actually found about 3 Grumman AA5s to try around here but couldn't find a single Mooney.  I found one now and the owner does hangar about an hour's drive outside Omaha as well.  It was also a C model which is the one I was really wanting to see.  Left shoulder is very pressed against the glass but it was large enough we could definitely stagger the seats and no problem for my small family.  

Go M20C!

Its worth it!...

I had a perfect decade with mine...

Family of four traveling to see grandparents...

Very cost effective over a decade...

Saved up enough to buy a bigger more modern C... aka M20R... :)

You can do it.

PP thoughts only, not a CFI or a plane sales guy yet...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 8:46 AM, Pasturepilot said:

This was me!  and yes I found about 2 the same week being worked on in various shops or owners finally returning from winter vacations.  It was kinda odd.  I've now been able to sit in a C and an E both with the manual gear.