Vintage Mooneys in Greenville (now Charleston), SC?

Any of you vintage Mooney owners in the Greenville SC area? I wouldn't mind getting a look inside one to see if it should be on my list of planes to consider. I have read some info that it is tight inside, and seats sit lower and can cause some back pain for larger occupants. I am 6'0, 215#, and already have a stiff back. I love the look and efficiency of the Mooney, and would like to get into a partnership in the future..just want to make sure it is not something I should cross off the list. Thanks to anyone that'd be willing to give me a tour.

Edited by Losbright1
new location

Welcome! Not in SC but am nearly 6'2. I flew an F model for years and felt it was comfortable. The height is not a problem at all. With the seat all the way back, I can just reach the pedals. Width is more of a concern but I still didn't find it a problem at nearly 200#. Two big guys in front may rub shoulders, but off setting seats solves that. The seat is lower to the floor. Back pain didn't seem aggravated by 3-4 hour flights. Getting in and out the door may create a few grunts and groans. 

I am also not in SC, but I share your height and weight and fly a 1974C out of Fredericksburg, VA.  I even have the occasional back trouble.  You should have someone show you the proper technique for getting in and out of a Mooney, but it is a none issue.  I love the speed, efficiency and low maintenance of the plane.  The Lycoming 0360 starts easily even when hot.

If you like driving your F150 with a seating position similar to your dining room chairs, you won't like the Mooney cockpit.

If you like driving Porsches, Corvettes, old TA / Camaros, etc., with your legs in front of you, you'll like a Mooney.

I don't keep my Owners Manual (all 90-odd pages of it) under my seat, because I can only reach rhere while kneeling on the right floorboard; it would also be a tight fit. It lives in the pocket on the back of the right seat, where it's easily reachable in flight.

Happy shopping!

37 minutes ago, Hank said:

If you like driving your F150 with a seating position similar to your dining room chairs, you won't like the Mooney cockpit.

Well, that's the thing..I don't know yet. Don't have enough time under my belt, and certainly not enough different planes to know. I have only flown C172 and a Piper Cherokee. 

2 hours ago, eman1200 said:

Best way to get a ton of mooneys in Greenville SC is to organize a lunch fly-in at the runway cafe at GMU. They are opening up, there is outdoor seating, and planes. Lots of planes.

When do they open?

4 hours ago, Losbright1 said:

Well, that's the thing..I don't know yet. Don't have enough time under my belt, and certainly not enough different planes to know. I have only flown C172 and a Piper Cherokee. 

You have been qualified for taking the next step...

6’ and 200# never got in my way of owning an M20C...

If you like speed, efficiency, and a whole bunch of capability...

Enjoy your Mooney hunt.

:)

Best regards,

-a-

Opposite end of the height spectrum. 5'-4. Maybe 5'-4.5, but I've stopped lying to myself and saying 5'-6 because I'm not. Will I be able to see over the panel? Will I be able to see the yellow line taxiing? Could your short wife, girlfriend or kid fly a short-body? I'm training in a Cessna 150 and I bring a throw pillow to my lessons, it works out okay, but when I buy a plane, I'd prefer not to have to do that. Would I be allowed to modify the seat (height) if needed. Is there sufficient fore an aft for me to reach the pedals? Thanks.

19 hours ago, Losbright1 said:

Any of you vintage Mooney owners in the Greenville SC area? I wouldn't mind getting a look inside one to see if it should be on my list of planes to consider. I have read some info that it is tight inside, and seats sit lower and can cause some back pain for larger occupants. I am 6'0, 215#, and already have a stiff back. I love the look and efficiency of the Mooney, and would like to get into a partnership in the future..just want to make sure it is not something I should cross off the list. Thanks to anyone that'd be willing to give me a tour.

You're in luck.  I'm in Greenville and have a '75 E model.  I'm 6'2" and about 235 and she's comfortable to me, so I'd think you would be fine too. She's in for maintenance right now, waiting on a new engine.    However I'd be happy to show you sometime.  You can keep up with the work status here:

14 minutes ago, 67 m20F chump said:

I’m a bit over 6’4” and 260#.  Mooney has more head room than the Beechcraft that I have owned (baron and debonair).  You will fit no problem!

You're still much smaller than @Yetti, and he fits fine.

5 hours ago, Looseparts said:

Opposite end of the height spectrum. 5'-4. Maybe 5'-4.5, but I've stopped lying to myself and saying 5'-6 because I'm not. Will I be able to see over the panel? Will I be able to see the yellow line taxiing? Could your short wife, girlfriend or kid fly a short-body? I'm training in a Cessna 150 and I bring a throw pillow to my lessons, it works out okay, but when I buy a plane, I'd prefer not to have to do that. Would I be allowed to modify the seat (height) if needed. Is there sufficient fore an aft for me to reach the pedals? Thanks.

Find an airplane with the later model articulating seat. It cranks up and down a couple inches.  Many older airplanes, including mine have these seats installed.

P1010614.thumb.JPG.056c0368e9b859a1690e0e4ebc5ad997.JPGP1010681.thumb.JPG.00a67a6b4917beddb35b126060c98359.JPG859950114_seatsreallydone3.jpg.1afb40d743a7a13476e7ae5db57cf052.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bob865 said:

You're in luck.  I'm in Greenville and have a '75 E model.  I'm 6'2" and about 235 and she's comfortable to me, so I'd think you would be fine too. She's in for maintenance right now, waiting on a new engine.    However I'd be happy to show you sometime.  You can keep up with the work status here:

Thanks Bob865- I will certainly take you up on that when she's out of the shop. I am currently doing my IFR training at GMU, so I am there a good bit.

add: I just checked your repair / update thread. That is going to be a great panel you are putting together!!

Edited by Losbright1
*adding info*

1 hour ago, 67 m20F chump said:

I’m a bit over 6’4” and 260#.  Mooney has more head room than the Beechcraft that I have owned (baron and debonair).  You will fit no problem!

I guess I am more worried about the seating position than actually fitting in the plane. I know I can likely get in and out without much issue..was just worried that the "corvette style" seating position would be hard on me for longer flights..but, seems like there are plenty of larger guys flying them without issue...so, it'll be about the same comfort level as any other plane..stiff back or legs at the same flight time. Lol.

9 hours ago, David Lloyd said:

Find an airplane with the later model articulating seat. It cranks up and down a couple inches.  Many older airplanes, including mine have these seats installed.

P1010614.thumb.JPG.056c0368e9b859a1690e0e4ebc5ad997.JPGP1010681.thumb.JPG.00a67a6b4917beddb35b126060c98359.JPG859950114_seatsreallydone3.jpg.1afb40d743a7a13476e7ae5db57cf052.jpg

I like the secret spot where you keep the flashlight!!! ;-)

• 3 years later...

So, I moved to Charleston and never did get a look-see into a Mooney. Lol. I am flying with a club out of Berkeley County, KMKS if anyone is in the area and wouldn't mind showing me around their airplane. I live close to downtown Charleston so I am convenient to the other local airports also. Thanks in advance.

• Losbright1 changed the title to Vintage Mooneys in Greenville (now Charleston), SC?
On 5/19/2023 at 9:29 AM, Losbright1 said:

So, I moved to Charleston and never did get a look-see into a Mooney. Lol. I am flying with a club out of Berkeley County, KMKS if anyone is in the area and wouldn't mind showing me around their airplane. I live close to downtown Charleston so I am convenient to the other local airports also. Thanks in advance.

Hehe. You will get there. Good luck.