What are the unexpected things in your hanger?

• General oil change supplies including catch bucket and appliance cardboard corner brace to catch/route filter oil spillage overboard into a  bucket
  • Long hose (hoses left on the airport spigot seem to vanish...so we have to have our own)
  • Cleaning supplies and buckets 
  • Plentiful bundle of micro fiber towels for windows , big box or roles of blue show towels (heavy paper towel type) 
  • Push broom or leaf blower to sweep out the hangar
  • steel wool or other materials to plug rodent/critter ingress points
  • Compressor to fill tires and blow things off, tire pressure gauge
  • extension cords and UPS/power surge strips
  • Other things have been mentioned 

A pair of aircraft jacks with locking collars.  Especially with extended tanks, you can and should take some pressure off the mains when aircraft is not used for a period of time.

Helps with keeping the donuts healthy.  Also, easier to get under the plane even if you are just cleaning.  But get a good pair of safe jacks.  Meyers are highly recommended.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/meyer_a500series.php

Got my pair on e-bay for about $800 for the pair.

Also an height adjustable creeper.  This is one on Aircraft Spruce  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/aerocreeper-13-21329-38.php?clickkey=10349

I have a different one, but all adjust height and back angle.  You can position yourself so working under the plain is not painful.

John Breda

A pair of aircraft jacks with locking collars.  Especially with extended tanks, you can and should take some pressure off the mains when aircraft is not used for a period of time.
Helps with keeping the donuts healthy.  Also, easier to get under the plane even if you are just cleaning.  But get a good pair of safe jacks.  Meyers are highly recommended.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/meyer_a500series.php
Got my pair on e-bay for about $800 for the pair.

Which model did you get? Curious the shortest one is the most expensive.

Probably the 14" height.  There is only a couple of inches between the retracted ram and the jack point.  They are very stable however.  

To relieve the mains, I just used the 2 jacks and jack up the mains 1".  To jack up the plane completely, I use the 2 jacks, an engine hoist (Harbor Freight 2 ton - about $175) and a concrete weighted tail stand, not to pull the tail, but just to stabilize it.

John Breda

• Like 1

Someone mentioned a stereo, which is great.  I listen to music or podcasts when I'm in the hanger.  I don't have a full-on stereo, but I do have a pair of Bluetooth speakers that I'm really impressed with.  I got ours from Amazon, for about $150.  They're loud enough to fill the hanger, they sound pretty darn good for $150, and they pair reliably every time I turn on the power.  https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Indoor-Outdoor-Weatherproof-Speakers/dp/B00C404VC2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sa+bluetooth+speakers&qid=1589730408&sr=8-3

I've got them zip-tied to the shelf of one of our rack units.

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 8.44.00 AM.png

• Like 1

Talking about stereos and speakers, I forgot I took our old TV, I think 52", down to the hangar when we upgraded the one in the house. Hooking it up to my phone with an HDMI cable and adapter I can stream whatever I want. Setting the phone on a wireless charger keeps the battery from dying. "Back in the day" I watched a lot of baseball/hockey/football while either working on the plane or just "puttering around" the hangar.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2020 at 10:54 AM, Ross Taylor said:

Someone mentioned a stereo, which is great.  I listen to music or podcasts when I'm in the hanger.  I don't have a full-on stereo, but I do have a pair of Bluetooth speakers that I'm really impressed with.  I got ours from Amazon, for about $150.  They're loud enough to fill the hanger, they sound pretty darn good for $150, and they pair reliably every time I turn on the power.  https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Indoor-Outdoor-Weatherproof-Speakers/dp/B00C404VC2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sa+bluetooth+speakers&qid=1589730408&sr=8-3

I've got them zip-tied to the shelf of one of our rack units.

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 8.44.00 AM.png

tunes are must when at the hangar oh and the American flag hanging up is a nice touch.  I need to get one for my hangar.

That must be anew hangar way tooooooooo clean inside not even dust on the perlins.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, carusoam said:

@Culver LFA invite for this thread...

-a-

It hurts to see Keith having so much fun with his Cadet, mine has been apart for a couple years now.  When I had to re-engine the M20F the Cadet went down on the priority list!

I can tell you Keith is an amazing guy and probably the most active Culver Cadet pilot in the USA!

0774643C-8A31-4207-B22C-AEE4C0E74CAD.jpeg

• Like 3

On 6/29/2020 at 12:23 PM, eman1200 said:

Just hung up my 5 x 8 recently

65d1a43732fede09389902e44b05bb1d.jpg

That's the best installation I've ever seen. Can you share your secret for keeping it tight, no sags and no visible ropes? Looks like three wall hooks, but how did you get it tight between them?

9 minutes ago, Hank said:

That's the best installation I've ever seen. Can you share your secret for keeping it tight, no sags and no visible ropes? Looks like three wall hooks, but how did you get it tight between them?

thanks!  not the cheapest solution but to me, like u said, looks nice and clean and I'm not one to poke holes in the flag.....nothing but the best for our American flag!

so I went with this solution:

hanging rails

I only needed to order one of them since they come with 2 4' sections.  the outer hooks I used lightweight chain that I cut 2 identical length pieces at lowes (I wanted a little weight to keep the flag from flopping around anytime u walked past it), and the middle two hooks I used one piece of rope with 2 small hooks tied on either end (also, measured twice, cut once!).  you can kind of see it here:

image.png.ee0fad8be1183ce606bd083e48da1d49.png

• Thanks 1

Good call on the leaf blower @Pasturepilot - this is the one we have there. It's quite diminutive, but works amazingly well. We didn't need a full size one for the hanger, so this one is perfect. It seems quite well made and certainly has plenty of oomph. It's small enough to use single-handed and is very convenient for blowing dust off the plane, too. I've only had it about six or seven months so far, but I highly recommend it.

Screenshot_20200701-091534.png

Edit to add a real photo for scale, to show how handy and portable this thing is. When it first arrived I actually thought Amazon sent something different, because the box was so small. But it works impressively well.

IMG_20200701_120746.jpg

• Like 1