What are the unexpected things in your hanger?

So next week I should be bringing home my new bird.  66' M20E.  This is my first plane and will be renting my first hanger.  Obviously I will be keeping some normal items in the hanger such as oil, plexis, cleaning supplies, tools... 

But what are the things you have in your hangers that isn't commonly known that you just can't do without?

Well, first off...congratulations!  We also have a '66 E and love it.

While not uncommon, I'm sure, we have a refrigerator/freezer and I would really miss that.  The freezer section has ice packs in it, so when we take a trip we've got a way to pack up the soft cooler right there.  And the stash of fizzy waters in the fridge, with some snacks, makes a work/cleaning day at the hangar much more pleasant.

Now, my buddy two hangars down has a fridge and a grill and a recliner chair...but he's also got a twin. 

1 hour ago, Ross Taylor said:

Well, first off...congratulations!  We also have a '66 E and love it.

While not uncommon, I'm sure, we have a refrigerator/freezer and I would really miss that.  The freezer section has ice packs in it, so when we take a trip we've got a way to pack up the soft cooler right there.  And the stash of fizzy waters in the fridge, with some snacks, makes a work/cleaning day at the hangar much more pleasant.

Now, my buddy two hangars down has a fridge and a grill and a recliner chair...but he's also got a twin. 

That is because Mooney's are more affordable in the air and twins in the hangar ...you have to have a comfortable hangar if you have a twin. :P

That said, I wish I could afford a nice C414 or PA31T

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A big piece of cardboard (or carpet remnant) to lay on while cleaning the belly.  The height of even a low-profile creeper is uncomfortable steering around antennas.  I’ve become fond of my mosquito fogger, during that season, and a spider web brush.

tom

• Like 2

• A step stool so you can clean bugs off the leading edge of the vertical stab
  • A low profile creeper to get under the plane. It's a matter of personal preference, but I prefer the creeper to the carpet for getting under the plane
  • Tool box with basic tools
  • Table/work bench
  • Cabinet for storage of items like head sets, manual's, other items that should be protected
  • Power strip with chargers for phones/iPad/headset/camera's/etc.
  • Speaker/radio something to listen to while scrubbing bugs off the plane
  • Shop vac for cleaning out the cockpit and cleaning the hangar
  • Push broom - concrete floors are always getting dirty
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Extension cords

I'm sure there are more... but as you find yourself spending time at the hangar... (next to being in the air, it's the favorite place to be for most of us) you'll figure out what you need...

Congrats on the acquisition of the best man cave ever...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:
  • A step stool so you can clean bugs off the leading edge of the vertical stab
  • A low profile creeper to get under the plane. It's a matter of personal preference, but I prefer the creeper to the carpet for getting under the plane
  • Tool box with basic tools
  • Table/work bench
  • Cabinet for storage of items like head sets, manual's, other items that should be protected
  • Power strip with chargers for phones/iPad/headset/camera's/etc.
  • Speaker/radio something to listen to while scrubbing bugs off the plane
  • Shop vac for cleaning out the cockpit and cleaning the hangar
  • Push broom - concrete floors are always getting dirty
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Extension cords

I'm sure there are more... but as you find yourself spending time at the hangar... (next to being in the air, it's the favorite place to be for most of us) you'll figure out what you need...

Congrats on the acquisition of the best man cave ever...

Thanks for the list.  I think I had a lot of that planned already but you had a few that I didn't expect!  I'm actually going to try to NOT turn the hanger into a full-on man cave.  I'll probably get there eventually tho...  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, flyingchump said:

Thanks for the list.  I think I had a lot of that planned already but you had a few that I didn't expect!  I'm actually going to try to NOT turn the hanger into a full-on man cave.  I'll probably get there eventually tho...  

Man Caves come in many different configurations and level's. But your's has an AIRPLANE in it! And that moves it right to the top of the list.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, exM20K said:

Good utility shelving.... keep stuff off the floor, and your rodent / pest problems as well as any lingering OCD issues will be eased.

-dan

Buy some of the sticky glue traps and have them in the corners and near the hangar doors.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B012VJLZOM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

Portable stereo and aviation scanner.  The first to break up monotony with music and the second to supply "airport ambiance".  When I hear things like "Mafia 4 cleared for landing runway 22" it gets my attention.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philip_g said:

i ferried a c model for a guy 7 hours a bit ago and that is 100% not "my sized". The mid bodies are ok though.

Strange comment.  I've flown an Ovation and a C and found absolutely zero difference in size when sitting in the pilot's seat flying the airplane. 

Ovation was more comfortable, though.

• Like 1

Just now, philip_g said:

Big difference.

I've flown C, E, J, K, Bravo, Ovation, Acclaim... no difference in the front seats.

The C's and E's with the original windshield can feel more cramped as there is really no glare shield. But the seating, legroom, shoulder room, head room, etc is the same.

• Like 1

BatteryMinder...

And some long electrical extension cords...

Cell phone switch to turn your engine block heater on...

Oil and filter and safety wire and wipes to go on you shelves...

I came late to the party, so I added things you won’t need for a while...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

The one thing that I find really useful is my fan. I have a big drum fan that I have changed the pulleys on the fan to reduce the speed to about 375 rpm  This makes it quieter and still moves Enough air for a hangar. Of course I live in a warm climate and need to have this for summer time

Here is my list.  

• A big trash can
  • Paper towel 
  • Wing Jacks
  • Engine Lift from Harbor Freight
  • Bike to ride around the airport meeting new friends
  • Rolling tool chest
  • WIFI to access MS
  • Security system
  • Blower to clean the floor. 
  • Compressor
  • Chairs / Table
  • Shop Fan or Swamp Cooler if you live in hot and dry climate like AZ.  
  • Wheel Chocks. 
  • Pledge Lemon polish to clean bugs off the wings and windows.  It also work removing exhaust stain.  
  • Fridge with drinks for friends
  • BBQ Grill
  • Like 1