Dan Bass saved my ass

201er

@cliffy, the NASA report I remembered is the one you cited. There is a Junker test that is used to rate locking devices https://www.boltscience.com/pages/junkertestvideo.htm. There are a lot of Youtube videos showing poor locking for no washer, plain washer and split washer, and I thought I remembered star washers being tested with similar results. But just now I couldn't find a test showing results for internal or external tooth star washers. It's clear that the split washers compress and become flat washers when torqued and are therefore useless as locking devices. But, perhaps star washers have some locking ability. Thanks for the clarification :)

Skip

3 hours ago, corn_flake said:

How about the CO detector in the Sentry ADS-B device?   I know it doesn't have a display, but I wonder if it's sufficient to alert us if there is a problem.  

Most MSers appreciate more data about something going on...

Nothing worse than an alarm going off with no data to follow up with...

hmmmm... my Sentry ADSB device said I should stop flying right now....

• Should I ignore it?
  • how serious is it?
  • CO sensors lose sensitivity over years...
  • How often does a Sentry get calibrated or tossed?
  • how do I get ADSB in and turn the annoying alarm off?
  • While waiting for the alarm to quiet....any minute now....  is the CO getting worse?

CO in the cockpit often starts with a small crack.

The crack propagates and can get very bad over a few minutes....

How do you know what your response should be?

Do I land now because the alarm said to...

Or... the CO is at an elevated level... I’ll want to look into this when I get home...

CO messes with your ability to reason...

It would be much better to have a CO monitor with a calibrated display... to support making the important go/NoGo decision...

PP thoughts only, when my CO alarm beeps... I look at the number...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 11:51 PM, Ross Taylor said:

I bought and mounted, with industrial Velcro, a CO Experts monitor. That damned thing does not have a programmable alert limit and I can't taxi without it blaring. There are two versions, one that alerts at 10ppm and one at 25ppm...ours is the 10ppm. It's so annoying that I moved the switch (that normally turns it on when it's slid into the mounting bracket) to the bottom of the case, so the toggle protrudes from the bottom. But, of course, if I forget to turn it on in-flight it does no good 

So, thanks for the multiple referrals here to the Sensorcon. I see that it's programmable...perfect. I'm ordering one in the morning and moving the CO Experts unit to our camper (where I can leave it on).

EDIT - in looking at the available models, it looks like the $159 Sensorcon PRO is the version with the adjustable trigger level.

Screenshot_20200515-213806.png

Just an FYI.  I have the Pro model and if I could do it over again I would get the basic model. The preset alarm setting is 50 ppm, which seems perfect. High enough that it will alarm if something is wrong, but only if something is wrong. The only time that I’ve ever seen it alarm is when I forget to lean for taxi and the  wind is just right.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my industrial pro model, but I’ve never changed the alarm setting and since it’s mounted on the panel the vibrating alarm is unnecessary.  The basic model has everything I’ve ever used, whereas the Pro model is meant to be worn all day to monitor CO levels in an industrial setting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2020 at 6:25 PM, 201er said:

Thank you Dan and thank you Mooney Summit for the life saving discussion

Thanks for sharing Mike! I'm glad it worked out.   Be careful with how you title your treads though.  I might call in a favor down the road. "Mike, remember that one time...."  :lol:

On 5/13/2020 at 8:04 PM, carusoam said:

We need to celebrate with a social distanced Mooney fly-in!

Absolutely.  Deanna and I are thinking about a NYC trip later this year if the world opens back up.  Be a great time to get together with you NJ guys!  Especially since Airventure is not happening and the Summit is postponed.

On 5/14/2020 at 7:56 PM, 1964-M20E said:

Speaking of Sensrcon doesn't Mooney summit have a test kit?  I'm due for a calibration.

As @mike_elliott pointed out the Summit's was misplaced. I do have a kit though and will bring it with to the next Summit.  Sensorcon was planing on having a presence at Airventure this year.  I'm mentioned to them it would be a great service to provide calibration while there.  Hopefully that will be an option in the future.

On 5/15/2020 at 11:51 PM, Ross Taylor said:

EDIT - in looking at the available models, it looks like the $159 Sensorcon PRO is the version with the adjustable trigger level.

I'm with Mark.  I think the industrial pro model is overkill for GA.  The basic is great, industrial if you want the vibrating alarm.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 11:46 PM, corn_flake said:

How about the CO detector in the Sentry ADS-B device?   I know it doesn't have a display, but I wonder if it's sufficient to alert us if there is a problem.  

The Sentry is great, if it's functioning properly it will keep you safe.  I think having 2 CO detectors/monitors is the way to go, so I would still consider adding a second one.   It's more likely for a detector to fail to respond, than to give a false positive.  So if your detector is malfunctioning you may not notice.  

I think the sentry will give a ppm readout on the Ipad someplace?

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 2