Dumb move

Stan

Ok, I guess it wasn't a matter of "if" with me but "when."

Well today it was when!  I am checking the net for replacements, anybody have one?

I am open to criticism, been married for 45 years and in the Marine Corps for 32, so I can take it.  In this case deserved, who saw the fence?!

Pilots side.

Pilots side.JPG

• Like 2

Are you kidding, that's nothing!!!

Some clear Gorilla tape (available at home depot/lowes etc) is great for these kind of injuries since its strong and should  enable keeping full use of your lights while you ferry it home. 

• Thanks 1

I've bought them from LASAR. Semms the last one was ~2years ago, ~$150. Then trim and drill to fit.

I hit something in the hangar once, then roof leaked and heavy fuberglass Insulation fell from the ceiling and landed on the wingtip. Just be sure there is wooden support directly under each hole, it's only difficult on one of them. 

2 hours ago, M20S Driver said:

This is what I call" happy ending" after a bad situation :)

Normally, you pay a little extra for that. In this case, he's gonna pay a lot. 

Easy to do. The fence messes up depth perception. GLAP and LASAR both have PMA parts that require trimming and drilling. Best way to trim is a Dremel with a cutoff wheel. Use the original as a template and trim oversize and test fit and then trim again until you get it right. Best way to drill without cracking acrylic is a step drill bit. There’s a thread here somewhere with more details. 

Skip

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PT20J said:

Easy to do. The fence messes up depth perception. GLAP and LASAR both have PMA parts that require trimming and drilling. Best way to trim is a Dremel with a cutoff wheel. Use the original as a template and trim oversize and test fit and then trim again until you get it right. Best way to drill without cracking acrylic is a step drill bit. There’s a thread here somewhere with more details. 

Skip

+1 on using Dremel to trim.  Knots2U also sells drill bits with "zero rake" that will allow you to drill the holes without cracking the acrylic.

I have almost had a wing-tip ding pulling the plane out of the hangar. If the sun was beating in I used to open the hangar just about halfway or so while doing pre-flight to keep the temp down inside and then push the doors all the way open. Once I had one door pushed all the way open (easier carrying bags from the car to the plane) but the other I had "almost" all the way open, still a few feet closed. I started to pull the plane out and noticed before I put a ding in the wing-tip. Now, either the doors are only open a few feet allowing me to walk in and out, or they are open all the way. That was a "too close for comfort" experience...