The upgrade starts.

Looking good so far.

Why not lose the engine gauges on the right and add the EDM900 as Primary instead?  You can put the 900 in a landscape position and slide it left (along with your transponder) closer to the 430 stack.  You’d be able to see both of them easier, rescue some panel space, and clean up the look even more.

Steve

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Looking good so far.

Why not lose the engine gauges on the right and add the EDM900 as Primary instead?  You can put the 900 in a landscape position and slide it left (along with your transponder) closer to the 430 stack.  You’d be able to see both of them easier, rescue some panel space, and clean up the look even more.

Steve

That's next years plan the wife will only approve so much at one time.

With respect, you may want to explain to her that with the trade in of your existing instruments, plus what you’re probably paying for the 830, you’re extremely close to the 900 cost-wise.  The labor you’ll spend doing it later will far exceed doing it now “while you’re in there”.  Financially, it doesn’t make sense to do it after-the-fact.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I rough cut my panel, used nuts and screws to bolt the old panel to the new for the outline and shock mount holes and the repositioned and clamped the panel and used a router for the cutouts. For the zero degree tilt, I used the old shock mounts and attached the angle aluminum. Using the old as a template, all my shock mount screws were perfectly aligned.The left empty hole is for the D2 panel mount and the big hole on the right is for the 496. The 2 holes below that are from removed Davtron DVOR and temp gauge. I am filling those with USB plugs. Should have her buttoned up today and I can send a pic of the completed panel.a router and the old panel as a template goes a long way. Use the table router with a flush bit and fee hand it.

FB_IMG_1589283102937.jpg

FB_IMG_1589283148825.jpg

FB_IMG_1589283074998.jpg

FB_IMG_1589283185941.jpg

FB_IMG_1589283133043.jpg

FB_IMG_1589283211625.jpg

FB_IMG_1589283195567.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Neshi said:

The Plan

60750088_N9500MRev1.thumb.JPG.f4ea0b7cfe753e356de03d84759f0477.JPG

It does look nice, but from a financial standpoint, not the way I would have done things.

The 430 has trade-in value today but that value drops every day. So I'd trade it in on an IFD440 before the value drops any further... The IFD also comes with $0 install cost.

Echoing what @StevenL757 said, you can either do the engine monitor twice, and cut the right side panel twice, or do it once. Sell the factory gauges and make up the difference.

There is no difference in cost if you put in the G5's today or next year. So for me, those would wait. I would still cut a new panel for the left side to arrange the steam gauges into a standard six pack pattern. Just make sure you leave room to enlarge the holes to put in the G5's when you're ready. You'll be able to install them later without cutting a new panel and without even removing the panel.

Anyway, just my $0.02. The only thing worse then spending hard earned money, is spending it twice.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

It does look nice, but from a financial standpoint, not the way I would have done things.

The 430 has trade-in value today but that value drops every day. So I'd trade it in on an IFD440 before the value drops any further... The IFD also comes with $0 install cost.

Echoing what @StevenL757 said, you can either do the engine monitor twice, and cut the right side panel twice, or do it once. Sell the factory gauges and make up the difference.

There is no difference in cost if you put in the G5's today or next year. So for me, those would wait. I would still cut a new panel for the left side to arrange the steam gauges into a standard six pack pattern. Just make sure you leave room to enlarge the holes to put in the G5's when you're ready. You'll be able to install them later without cutting a new panel and without even removing the panel.

Anyway, just my $0.02. The only thing worse then spending hard earned money, is spending it twice.

I would agree with that if everything was 100% working.

The DG needed to be replaced. So that was one G5 and I tossed in the other as I've had 6 vacuum failures in 5 years since I started flying 2 in while ifr. (Not all the same plane or owner just my bad luck to have the penny drop while I'm flying)

The EDM 730 came with the aircraft upgrading to a 900/930 is a want not a need for now and I'm scheduling for next years budget with a 650xi or what ever is coming out between now and then.

Maybe I'm just odd but I don't like the 440. The hardware is nice and it does everything the Garmin units do and cheaper. But every time I flew an aircraft with one it was always 10 seconds of thinking be for an action. With the GTN & GNS units my fingers just work.

• Like 1

It's an old airplane, I just installed a 420 and made my plane more capable than it already was, but its  "certified".... I just installed a bunch of old, crusty avionics, but before I couldn't shoot an ILS, so its worth it... Good wiring and decent avionics goes a long way. I am sure as H not going to dump 100k in avionics in a legacy plane. One man's trash is another man's . treasure! I am just thankful that I dont hear noise in my radios and I can shoot and ILS and GPS approach. I have dealt with my fair share of old crusty wiring, power issues, crackling noise on the intercom. Now that I have good wiring, I can upgrade as I go, as I can afford. One piece at a time... 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

The IFD also comes with $0 install cost.

IIF the antenna and cable is already WAAS, otherwise that gets to be replaced; that said, yes, from what I see, as trivial of an upgrade as can be, with a lot of "bang for buck".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
isn’t it nuts how small the HSI display is on a G5 compared to a standard 3-1/8” HSI. the actual round dial looks like half the size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never noticed it but now you say it I can’t not see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Matt, I just couldn't help myself. Thank you for flying with our original PMA8000BT (circa 2006), with those beautiful G5's at that GTN, I could resist to show you what the "ultimate panel" would look like.

image.png.bc01a4a50812054df0a503c1de31a53d.png

Sincerely, 

Mark

• Haha 1

@Neshi, I think you and I are in the same shop at the same time...

I just checked in with "Rick and Company" this morning for round 2 of upgrades.  Your panel looks amazing.  Saw it all lit up earlier this morning, and it really does look impressive.  :-)  I'm based across the field, so if you need anything, let me know.  I'm over there a few times a week.  Not sure where you're based...

Steve

upgrade complete did my test flight had a few adjustments to the autopilot every thing else is great.

Rick and his team went above and beyond in completing the upgrade repairing little things not in the contract.

mzyRKiEVcIziz0CFg4tbmxO2K38IHrru8r16Bf7fpHpI6H8evpWvgEHnpQn8mN_2mMAWRTQFEpqnVo5W9LdOsi9o2ozfXfskv4qMrfoqjK_Q-D0ffdSEdMtlVYB5yLtIL2zMVdP-RMX2-jYFa7OoBkiC1kwLa9otAJ8MRzRVXQDr2b5GK0zKn_RuHpUON4Ew27gHnLKwNFYyf16LW9EuC2lbMSBgUq3fj3vDtRGTb_IHIA4p3Uiy5d3vqmdapHyLViy3v5CLuP573jllr1yd5NZIFwkz5EkOM8758N9h5PrMu-5k9lHLU1iH7TksiGP0apRkklkAO-CzvRt0m1YsFr-Q5zIK-d4T0f7vn8yMTgSVf-qedu-n_WAQJhLGgHt6PUbPLedLmyZCEOlCOo8LxgEjtGDm3xiSu-YPWM4LhdOnaJXnYhZayPOyonWZOEGChPLrPAeeR_g6onXi1WOAYPP8u0pFf5U2b5gw499ri1f9JQhFVg2km8R8gVK0qeAxzUARm4Nq78FuVV0rT7FocgnMWnzBnkZiM3XW3RsCpRFJ6WAMzNfk7EkrIZnJogopzy9pHBElTQ50i2KbGxXJ88XHN-ICUP7S--1KH3utTQPbwKT-VCk6-d2fmfLBtsI18mLGkdXKRORAYWgJNjA3ZHRldEFFxVC_EBBLkIfr6MqDbsD6Sk93DVJ6N0JTiA=w1291-h969-no?authuser=0