Garmin 496

@robert7467   When i had a 496 my shop used a Garmin Power/Data Cable and wired it into an unswitched spot on my audio panel.

https://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/7871

You'll have to see if there are any modifications to the audio signal that need to be made according to the instructions before wiring it to an audio panel.

I have a panel mounted 496 in my plane as a backup with independent battery power. The data cable for the 496 has an audio out cable and that is wired to the AUX in in my audio panel so I can hear audio and even XM music. I canceled the XM service sometime ago but still hear all the warning and alarms I have set up in the 496.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Hector you jogged my memory and I appreciation the correction. My shop used the power data c able for power and connection to my panel GPS. For audio they used a right angle audio cable plugged into the 496 and then wired into an unswitched port on the audio panel so I didn't miss any warnings.

821456729_ScreenShot2020-05-12at8_25_30PM.png.2ad74c263fb2c06d7c55d62fee3e1f41.png

http://www.airgizmos.com/Right-Angle-Audio-Cable_p_36.html

Yellow wire on the Garmin 496 connector goes in to any of the 430 rs-232 outputs. If i remember correctly the GNS430 rs-232 output should be configured to Aviation. Brown wire to J1 (Bottom connector) pin T or pin 17 of the KMA 24. Orange wire to ground. b9a5f7c85e5da2abee1433f9601b922e.png
e49613329cf5b328a7d6c50102514d45.png
7e78908322f064990a88da85a5edb159.png

Yeah, I have then pins to the 430, but the schematic also shows grounding the 2 devices together for the RS232. I am about to pin that tomorrow, so the 439 will push to the 496. My main thing is audio. Should I use the ADF pin on the KMA 24 for alerts? Which wire from the 496 should I pin to the KMA 24? I would like music, but I think it would be a distraction. Is there anything else I can pin to the 430 that would be beneficial? I am trying to have a starship here on the cheap.

Yeah, I have then pins to the 430, but the schematic also shows grounding the 2 devices together for the RS232. I am about to pin that tomorrow, so the 439 will push to the 496. My main thing is audio. Should I use the ADF pin on the KMA 24 for alerts? Which wire from the 496 should I pin to the KMA 24? I would like music, but I think it would be a distraction. Is there anything else I can pin to the 430 that would be beneficial? I am trying to have a starship here on the cheap.

Yea use the ADF input, just remember to keep it pushed in. You don’t have to do RS-232 grounds it will work just fine without a ground. It looks like the browns wire from the 496 into pin S of the KMA-24 for ADF 1 or pin 11 for ADF 2 if your audio panel has an option for ADF 2. Make sure to ground the orange wire from the 496 at the audio panel.

https://www.texasairsalvage.com/PinnoutPDFfiles/KMA24.pdf

Thank you guys! MS is a very valuable resource. I am thinking music might be too much of a distraction since I am going to be starting my instrument rating with a whole new panel (new to me at least). Anyone else have music? Is it a distraction? 

3 minutes ago, robert7467 said:

Thank you guys! MS is a very valuable resource. I am thinking music might be too much of a distraction since I am going to be starting my instrument rating with a whole new panel (new to me at least). Anyone else have music? Is it a distraction? 

Yes.  It's not a distraction when enroute.  It could be on approach, so recommend turning it off in busy airspace and on approach.  I have XM and usually listen to SPA channel 68 for calming music.  I DO NOT have it "mute on audio input" as it's constantly ramping down and up on every radio call.  I have its volume set below the volume of radio transmissions, and have a switch to turn it off instead of having do a lot of icon tapping on the Aera 796, or G500 TXi, or GTN 750 to turn it off..

Is there any way to get a better harness? The wiring on the harness I have is Chinese crap with maybe 2 or 3 strands of wire. I have a problem hooking this Wuhan crap to milspec wire. Maybe an adapter that I can pin? 3 years, this will be toast!

Its amazing...

The same company builds a more stout device with more stout wiring...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/67886

Or you can buy an extra cable...

If you buy the extra cable... you probably won’t ever need to use it... :)

I have lots of Garmin portable devices... haven’t replaced a cable yet...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-