Small twin across the pound

Vlakvark

Just now, Vlakvark said:

Good day Mooney Friends. Hope everyone is all in good health. 

I need advice on a small twin going over the pound to Germany. 

Any help would be good. 

Stay safe and strong!!!

JT -out

What is your departure location and type of plane?

JT,

We have a few people around here that cross the pond often...  (See @Gagarin above...   he types faster than me...)

Most go the northern route... Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland...Paris!

One recently documented the southern route... crossing from West Africa to South America...

A few Mooneys have circumnavigated the globe...

All are worth reading their experiences... and plans...and preparations... and what to bring... radios... flotation devices... rafts...

When are you going?

What route are you planning?

What twin are you bringing?

If I bring twins with Me they have to be small...  there won’t be much room for fuel....    :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vlakvark said:

Any help would be good. 

Stay safe and strong!!!

JT -out

A client and friend of mine has done the trip once in his Mooney and at least 5 times in his Cessna 340.  I can connect you with him if you’d like.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

Just keep in mind, the chances of engine failure goes up as the square.

IE: Engine failure in a twin is four times more likely than in a single.

A small issue from a friend on a return flight when he called Reykjavik tower and was informed the airport was closed.  He was advised to  fly up some foggy fjord and attempt a landing at an alternate. John had been fighting headwinds all night and was exhausted and low on fuel. When asked what the problem was he was informed disabled aircraft on runway.

John adamantly  told tower to remove aircraft with car, truck, tractor or a team of horses if necessary because he was landing Reykjavik.

He landed without incident, no disabled aircraft in sight.

Things happen, would strongly suggest taking Jerry 5TJ's advise concerning a ferry pilot.

• Like 1

I have a couple of Turtlepac tanks if anyone is interested?  60G and 160G.  I'm looking for a 100G tank, but if I can't find one I'll use the 160G tank and partially fill.  Planning to use them in a Seneca II.  Bought a Piper Gross Weight Decrease 'kit'' for the trip to reduce the weight to 1999kg.  Significant change in Canadian and European nav charges.

Aerodon

On 5/12/2020 at 9:03 AM, DAVIDWH said:

Just keep in mind, the chances of engine failure goes up as the square.

IE: Engine failure in a twin is four times more likely than in a single.

A small issue from a friend on a return flight when he called Reykjavik tower and was informed the airport was closed.  He was advised to  fly up some foggy fjord and attempt a landing at an alternate. John had been fighting headwinds all night and was exhausted and low on fuel. When asked what the problem was he was informed disabled aircraft on runway.

John adamantly  told tower to remove aircraft with car, truck, tractor or a team of horses if necessary because he was landing Reykjavik.

He landed without incident, no disabled aircraft in sight.

Things happen, would strongly suggest taking Jerry 5TJ's advise concerning a ferry pilot.

Most twin engine aircraft will fly further with one engine out than most singles with one out.

Clarence

Assuming you're not flying at/above FL250 and don't have HF, you'll likely route CYFB-BGSF-BGKK (if you need to, may not though stunning scenery)-BIKF or BIRK-BIEG (again, if you need to, may not)-EGPC and on from there. This site is very helpful: http://www.gcmap.com/

With a DA42, you'll presumably be using JET-A, availability of which should not be an issue. If it's one of the rare AVGAS DA42 models, that should be fine too but just call ahead to make sure it's in stock, especially at CYFB.

I flew the route over the longest day of the year, which I'd recommend, but otherwise generally during late Spring/Summer should be fine. Although IFR, my approach was to keep going while the weather was good and to wait out less favourable conditions.

I'd suggest a well-thought out survival kit, some sort of satellite communication (like a Garmin InReach) and lots of extra TKS fluid if you need it. You should also start looking into insurance earlier than later. I'd also wear a dry suit, even in a twin, and know how to get out the plane and into the raft - harder than one might think.

VHF communications are good enough that you can keep tabs on destination weather enroute stay within range of alternates. Ultimately, it's just a series of medium length, straight-line flights.

Make sure you apply mosquito spray to any area of exposed skin before landing at BGSF.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:23 AM, G-SLOT said:

Assuming you're not flying at/above FL250 and don't have HF, you'll likely route CYFB-BGSF-BGKK (if you need to, may not though stunning scenery)-BIKF or BIRK-BIEG (again, if you need to, may not)-EGPC and on from there. This site is very helpful: http://www.gcmap.com/

With a DA42, you'll presumably be using JET-A, availability of which should not be an issue. If it's one of the rare AVGAS DA42 models, that should be fine too but just call ahead to make sure it's in stock, especially at CYFB.

I flew the route over the longest day of the year, which I'd recommend, but otherwise generally during late Spring/Summer should be fine. Although IFR, my approach was to keep going while the weather was good and to wait out less favourable conditions.

I'd suggest a well-thought out survival kit, some sort of satellite communication (like a Garmin InReach) and lots of extra TKS fluid if you need it. You should also start looking into insurance earlier than later. I'd also wear a dry suit, even in a twin, and know how to get out the plane and into the raft - harder than one might think.

VHF communications are good enough that you can keep tabs on destination weather enroute stay within range of alternates. Ultimately, it's just a series of medium length, straight-line flights.

Make sure you apply mosquito spray to any area of exposed skin before landing at BGSF.

It has been 17 years since I did this trip in my Mooney (my avatar is from that trip), and I generally echo the advice above. A suggestion: Spend a night at BGJN, about 155 miles north of BGSF, assuming that a 2700-foot runway is long enough and the weather is good enough, and take a midnight boat tour of the ice fjord. This was the best stop on my three-week trip to Europe and back. It's not a place you're ever likely to be this near to in the future, so take advantage of the opportunity. I wound up there based on advice from a Greenland Air pilot. I am paying it forward by telling you. Don't miss this. My full route going east was CYFB-BGSF-BGJN-BGKK-BIRK-EGPC. My route westbound was EGPC-BIRK-BGSF-CYFB. BGKK is a lovely village, and the flight into it is pretty, but the ice fjord at BGJN was special.

Pay attention to the "closing times" for the airports in Greenland. They're not based on when the sun sets, and the fees for landing after the airport is "closed" are no joke, or so it was in 2003. I had VHF radio only and relayed position reports through airliners flying overhead. There may be fewer of those these days, but there should still be enough, and you'll have plenty of time on your hands, anyway. Something you might not have considered: You are probably safer over snow-covered Greenland and over the North Atlantic than you are over rocky, forested northern Canada, where there may not be a good place for a forced landing.

This is an amazing trip. Enjoy the adventure!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2020 at 11:41 PM, Vlakvark said:

Any help would be good. 

Stay safe and strong!!!

JT -out

I have someone who may be able to help. PM me and I can connect you. The insurance can be a challenge if you haven't sorted that out yet...

On 5/19/2020 at 6:24 PM, Flash said:

It has been 17 years since I did this trip in my Mooney (my avatar is from that trip), and I generally echo the advice above. A suggestion: Spend a night at BGJN, about 155 miles north of BGSF, assuming that a 2700-foot runway is long enough and the weather is good enough, and take a midnight boat tour of the ice fjord. This was the best stop on my three-week trip to Europe and back. It's not a place you're ever likely to be this near to in the future, so take advantage of the opportunity. I wound up there based on advice from a Greenland Air pilot. I am paying it forward by telling you. Don't miss this. My full route going east was CYFB-BGSF-BGJN-BGKK-BIRK-EGPC. My route westbound was EGPC-BIRK-BGSF-CYFB. BGKK is a lovely village, and the flight into it is pretty, but the ice fjord at BGJN was special.

Pay attention to the "closing times" for the airports in Greenland. They're not based on when the sun sets, and the fees for landing after the airport is "closed" are no joke, or so it was in 2003. I had VHF radio only and relayed position reports through airliners flying overhead. There may be fewer of those these days, but there should still be enough, and you'll have plenty of time on your hands, anyway. Something you might not have considered: You are probably safer over snow-covered Greenland and over the North Atlantic than you are over rocky, forested northern Canada, where there may not be a good place for a forced landing.

This is an amazing trip. Enjoy the adventure!

I've been thinking about, planning, mapping, dreaming, about this trip for some time now. One day I hope to do it in my Mooney.  I would add EKVG to the trip either east or west. Just to stop in and spend a day.

• Like 2

I was going to drop the various airports mentioned into WingX...

But any further North than St. John.... WingX runs out of charts.... the land is there... just missing the airports...

St. John is nice... a big town that has a few cruise ships stop in it... and a big airport...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

I was going to drop the various airports mentioned into WingX...

But any further North than St. John.... WingX runs out of charts.... the land is there... just missing the airports...

St. John is nice... a big town that has a few cruise ships stop in it... and a big airport...

Best regards,

-a-

SkyVector is your friend... on a laptop

• Like 1

Thank you, Paul...

a quick look of what starting at LaGuardia Would look like... ending at EGPC...  with EKVG added in before the end...

Looks like legs under 500nm could be worked out...   :)

It’s tradition to fly over Yves’ house And check in via radio...   

@Vlakvark what is the cruise range of the DA42?

Best regards,

-a-

38B5DF50-40CB-4772-9467-CA272A372DF1.png

912DC11F-F8F9-4071-9AE2-F82C9E79B38A.png

• Like 2

On my trips to Northen Europe I avoid stopping at Narsarsuaq, fuel is expensive and not always available. When travelling to Madrid LEMD I go via Santa Maria LPAZ. In the old days before GPS I home in into the LPAZ NDB, LORAN C just barely worked at the time. Be ware that the LPAZ routing requires HF. People at Santa Maria (Portugal territory) are very friendly.

CYYR Terminal.JPG

CYYR Preheat.JPG

DSC00454.JPG

DSC00462.JPG

Iceland Map.JPG

Iceland Hotel.JPG

Edited by Gagarin
  • Like 4

On 5/21/2020 at 7:03 AM, gsxrpilot said:

I've been thinking about, planning, mapping, dreaming, about this trip for some time now. One day I hope to do it in my Mooney.  I would add EKVG to the trip either east or west. Just to stop in and spend a day.

You should definitely do it, preferably in June or July. Flying the North Atlantic is an incomparable experience. The Faroes were my bailout option if something went wrong between Iceland and Scotland. Not sure why I decided not to drop in for a day; might have been that there were so many other things I wanted to see and do.