Six turnin, four burnin....

Love that movie and love that plane.  Convaier B36.  6 big piston engines and 4 small jet engines. Cruises at 40,000 ft.

That would look nice in my hangar.

Do any still exist?

Jimmy Stuart!  Pilot in the movies and Air Force pilot in real life.

E

• Like 1

Have the movie on DVD love that sequence. At the end of your clip there is a link to a re mastered video of the first test flights of the Convair B58 Hustler. Always thought by me to be one of the finest looking jet airplanes ever. As a kid thinking this is what a bomber should look like. Ahh the golden age of aviation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bonal said:

Have the movie on DVD love that sequence. At the end of your clip there is a link to a re mastered video of the first test flights of the Convair B58 Hustler. Always thought by me to be one of the finest looking jet airplanes ever. As a kid thinking this is what a bomber should look like. Ahh the golden age of aviation.

Yes, here is the B58 hustler video. Note the first record holder pilot is the father of a very famous singer who was a big fan of prominent Colorado geographical features :) 

• Like 6

Wow!  That’s such a terrific B-58 movie, with the perfect narrator.

I remember seeing a B-58 at low level, fly over our farm east of Tulsa. I’m estimating sometime in 1957.  It must have made a stop at Tulsa International.

I did see a B-58 Hustler on display at Galveston Lone Star Museum, prior to the museum being destroyed by hurricane.  I may have a photo of such (I’ll search).

Oh yes, talk about holding the nose gear off on landing roll out !!! :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Someone remastered an old movie into 4K and here’s a scene of the B36 taking off.  

amazing!

The video used in this movie of the B36 looks like it was filmed at Carswell AFB in Fort Worth, Texas.  It is now the Navy JRB.  When they taxi to the runway and start the run up that they show, the lake in the background is Lake Worth which is just off the north end of the runway.  They used to fly the B36 out of there as well as others.  General Dynamics which is now Lockheed Martin is on the West side and the JRB is on the east.  There was a B36 Peacemaker parked out at the edge of the base for many years that you could pull up near it in your car and look at it.

• Like 1

That old movie, "Strategic Air Command" I have on DVD. I love that take off scene because after going through a before take off checklist the length of War and Peace and the checklist is called "complete" then they call to start "jets, 1, 2, 3 and 4" Old airplanes what a pieces of work. Note also the low pressure hydraulics and how long it takes to get the gear up.

Someone  asked if there are any around. There is one at Wright Patterson with a wing off. There is one at Offut AFB in Omaha, also Pima Air Museum and. Castle AFB. There was one at Lockheed in Forth Worth some retired General Dynamics/Convair folks were trying to get flying but became a bust. Too much work and too much corrosion. Most the skin was magnesium which did not make for long airframe life. So it was trucked off to Pima.

Anybody remember where the B-36 was built?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

What did he tell his wife? He won't be long? One take off and one landing?  :)

Then was in-and-out of cloud tops, then leaving a whole bunch of contrails before landing at dusk. And the little lady was still waiting in the convertible, parked outside the wide-open gate.

On the other hand, he never said the landing would immediately follow the takeoff. Touch-and-goes in that beast would still take quite a while, to say nothing of the truckloads of fuel. Did you notice the anemic climb rate over the runway, and the snail's pace gear retraction?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I was a kid we lived in Fluorescent MO. there were sonic booms all the time. One day there was the mother of all sonic booms! I was playing in the street with my friends when it happened. It broke all the windows in all the houses on the block. It was one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen! It looked like a war zone! 

I read a few years ago about it. It was a study by the FAA about how people would tolerate sonic booms. The mother of all booms was a B58 doing Mach 2 at 500 feet right over my house!

Ill find a link and post it. 

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/647326.pdf

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/265/210/1457047/

http://www.pdas.com/refs/tnd2705.pdf

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

When I was a kid we lived in Fluorescent MO. there were sonic booms all the time. One day there was the mother of all sonic booms! I was playing in the street with my friends when it happened. It broke all the windows in all the houses on the block. It was one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen! It looked like a war zone! 

I read a few years ago about it. It was a study by the FAA about how people would tolerate sonic booms. The mother of all booms was a B58 doing Mach 2 at 500 feet right over my house!

Ahhh!! The sound of freedom! I was raised around a bunch of USMC Air Stations.

• Like 1

What is funniest, or most odd, about this movie is the beginning. The lead is a major league ball player, back in the majors, as a pitcher, grey haired and presumably after an Air Force career, getting called back to activeduty because he's in the reserves. :):)

I guess it could happen. 

Edited by Mcstealth

Ah c'mon man! That was Jimmy Stewart!  American icon. He could sling a fast ball equal to his age right to his last day.

However let me tell you. General Stewart (then Col. Stewart) did all his own flying for Strategic Air Command in both the B-36 and the B-47! 

By the way, anybody know without looking it up another movie that starred Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson as a married couple?

2 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

What is funniest, or most odd, about this movie is the beginning. The lead is a major league ball player, back in the majors, as a pitcher, grey haired and presumably after an Air Force career, getting called back to activeduty because he's in the reserves. :):)

I guess it could happen. 

Oh, how soon people forget.

Picture below is Ted Williams, one of the greatest baseball players who ever lived.  Played for the Red Sox.  Marine Corps pilot, fought in WWII, recalled to active duty for the Korean War.

IMG_2377.JPG

• Like 3

An age when actors and athletes were great Americans. 

My late wife's father was in the same bombardment group in the 8th Air Force as Captain Clark Gable. They tried to keep him on the sidelines 'for show and morale" but he insisted on flying real missions over real targets. Eddie Albert (Oliver on Green Acres) was another great American. Bronze Star with Combat "V" when he piloted a landing craft on Tarawa. Rescued 47, directed the rescue of 30 more under heavy machine gun fire.

Other than Pat Tillman, I can't think of any modern day examples. They don't make them like they used to!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/647326.pdf

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/265/210/1457047/

http://www.pdas.com/refs/tnd2705.pdf

I still hear them over our house a few times a year; there must be a MOA South of Hannibal over the Mississippi river area that the factory in St. Louis likes to use for ACM (you can hear the afterburners go in an out) and sometimes the guys get going a bit fast. I miss hearing the booms as I did pretty regularly growing up in southern Arizona. 

That’s a great movie clip in the OP.  FYI, there is a B-36 at the museum in Dayton. And their website has 360 degree pictures of the interior.  The flight engineer are has 2 seats and a lot of round gauges!

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/197636/convair-b-36j-peacemaker/

Scroll down towards the bottom to see the 360 views  

Edited by Nick Pilotte
  • Like 1

The had a "Sperry Engine Analyzer" at the FE station which basically was an oscilloscope on the ignition system, both the high tension and low tension sides. I can remember in my college days having to take a test on it and analyze what was going on based upon traces of the scope. They also had "BMEP" gauges and had to take a test on how those work. 48 years ago! I still have my book somewhere, but you can buy one on. Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sperry-Gyroscope-Co-Engine-Analyzer-Operators-Handbook-for-18-28-cylinders-/382477940805