Panel Color Suggestions

On 5/12/2020 at 8:31 PM, 231MJ said:

Thanks for the ideas.  Those are some great looking panels (and the interior, PJ).  Talked to the wife, we're gonna pass on the turquoise (but it was tempting).  It's going to be light gray.  Shop says it takes 3-4 weeks to cut and powder coat a panel.  Seems like a long time - anyone have a source that works quicker (and can put the bend in the bottom of the panel)?

Yes, I can cut and bend a panel for you this week, what instruments do you need to install?  Dual G5 on the one attached.  

Aerodon, supercub180@gmail.com

IMG_2387.jpg

5 minutes ago, Oscar Avalle said:

Soviet style ...

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's a DC-9.  The Douglas Corporation tested different colors and found that "Robin's Egg Blue" was most visually ergonomic so they used that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 10:14 AM, gsxrpilot said:

I'm gonna have to recut my panel as well at some point to install the second Aspen panel. I'm going to switch from the off-white to a light grey. Personally, I think that grey is a bit too dark. I like the color of Bennett's panel that you posted above or this one from Bryan's Encore. I'm looking for not too dark, but just dark enough to be able to use white type for the etched labels.

IMG_0339.jpeg

How does one “etch” letters and designs on these panels? I’d like this clean look but can’t find vinyl transfers for text this small. 

1 hour ago, Nukemzzz said:

How does one “etch” letters and designs on these panels? I’d like this clean look but can’t find vinyl transfers for text this small. 

I was talking to my avionics shop.  They send it out to have it etched into the panel.  

Often shops use a screen print technique...

Which allows them to print the details on the surface using a nice durable ink... with a thick lay down... that resists wear...

Panel shops are pretty good with this type of printing, and getting instrument faces reprinted as well...

So.... Find a panel building shop and see if they have screen printing in shop...

For new panels there are lots of opportunities for decorating a flat sheet of aluminum including laser etching... then putting ink in the etched channels...

Some techniques are tough to use when they are holding a bunch of instruments already...

Best regards,

-a-

Milling would take extra skill...

Maybe that is laser etched... where the colored paint absorbs the laser light and gets etched... and the white layer underneath reflects the energy...

Sounds like a great technique...

PP surmising only... Not a panel guy...

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

Milling would take extra skill...

Maybe that is laser etched... where the colored paint absorbs the laser light and gets etched... and the white layer underneath reflects the energy...

Sounds like a great technique...

PP surmising only... Not a panel guy...

Best regards,

-a-

Yep. That was my first thought. How can you possibly co trip the depth that accurately on a panel that will never be perfectly flat. 
Solution:  use a cutter that uses the panel surface as a guide for depth. Works amazingly well. 
Here is a picture of text done this way. 

A40B207E-7BCF-4F52-833F-16ED991D9B39.jpeg

• Like 2