Panel Color Suggestions

231MJ is going in for a Dynon up-grade tomorrow.  I'll almost be vacuumless except the speedbrakes but at least I can remove the standby vacuum pump.  I'm really looking forward to the up-grade, last upgrade was a complete Apollo stack, which I thought would be my last avionics package - boy was I naïve.  I'm having all new panels made and that gives me a chance to change panel color.  I'm leaning toward light gray, the new interior from Aero Comfort is gray leather so the match would be pleasant (I think) but I'm wondering if I'm missing something - most new panels I see are still black.  Is there a technical reason most panels are black?  I'll post pictures of the old panel and new panel as the work progress under a different post - for those that are interested.  Any questions about the Dynon up-grade, send me an email.

60s & 70s thought black was the right color...

80s saw some beige, I think...

90s light gray was in...

If you fly at night... you may see some reflection of the panel off the windscreen...

With today’s color screens it probably doesn’t matter what the color of the panel really is...

Pick one that matches to the new leather... or color match to the proper decade...  :)

Lots of new panels getting built lately...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

16 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Are you sure you don’t want “Institutional turquoise?”

C472B040-76A8-43E4-B290-B24630670DD1.jpeg

Now come up with what kind of airplane it is  :-) :-)

BTW, Light Gray looks GOOD   Mine is dull black, it looks like an OLD DC-9

On 5/11/2020 at 6:45 AM, NotarPilot said:

Are you sure you don’t want “Institutional turquoise?”

C472B040-76A8-43E4-B290-B24630670DD1.jpeg

I seem to remember this color being introduced with MD-80's.

Lord have mercy on the good men and women that flew this and had to deal with it.

Ok back to the panel color question  ... later this summer I think I'm going to have a new left panel cut to flush mount and re-arrange some things on my M20M.

Is this gray too dark? 

My seats are light gray and my side panels are really light gray.

IMG_3398.thumb.jpg.053cb1b630f015c114b867d1e68ab2fc.jpg

I'm gonna have to recut my panel as well at some point to install the second Aspen panel. I'm going to switch from the off-white to a light grey. Personally, I think that grey is a bit too dark. I like the color of Bennett's panel that you posted above or this one from Bryan's Encore. I'm looking for not too dark, but just dark enough to be able to use white type for the etched labels.

IMG_0339.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas.  Those are some great looking panels (and the interior, PJ).  Talked to the wife, we're gonna pass on the turquoise (but it was tempting).  It's going to be light gray.  Shop says it takes 3-4 weeks to cut and powder coat a panel.  Seems like a long time - anyone have a source that works quicker (and can put the bend in the bottom of the panel)?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 10:14 AM, gsxrpilot said:

I'm gonna have to recut my panel as well at some point to install the second Aspen panel. I'm going to switch from the off-white to a light grey. Personally, I think that grey is a bit too dark. I like the color of Bennett's panel that you posted above or this one from Bryan's Encore. I'm looking for not too dark, but just dark enough to be able to use white type for the etched labels.

IMG_0339.jpeg

I always liked your light panel color bc it looked clean.  I do like this gray, but I have tan/cream interior. Not sure if the newer grays would go with my older colors. 

On 5/12/2020 at 10:18 AM, LANCECASPER said:

This is what I had on an Ovation I used to own and I think it's close to what I want:

2045051091_N312Dleftsidecomplete.thumb.JPG.7c4b7b6d16c1d7f1f0babb8cca75d412.JPG

Just wondering, where are your switches for the Aspens?  I have a couple of random toggle switches for mine, but I want to organize them when I redo my panel.  Looking for something that looks nice. 

9 hours ago, rbridges said:

Just wondering, where are your switches for the Aspens?  I have a couple of random toggle switches for mine, but I want to organize them when I redo my panel.  Looking for something that looks nice.

I don't own this airplane anymore, but they were rocker switches below the right Aspen (hidden by the right side of the yoke). The JPI EDM 930 had a rocker switch also just to the left of the middle of the yoke.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I don't own this airplane anymore, but they were rocker switches below the right Aspen (hidden by the right side of the yoke). The JPI EDM 930 had a rocker switch also just to the left of the middle of the yoke.

Okay, I see the 930 now that you mention it. That's exactly what I'm wanting. Thanks!