mats for protecting wing finish during fueling.

Just now, Vance Harral said:

You're awesome, Paul!  I'm giving a Flight Review at KBJC this Saturday, any chance you'll be around the airport that day?

I'm gonna fly out of BJC about 8am Saturday and will be back around noon.

One nice feature of these mats is that they roll up easily and small and yet don't seem to stay in that shape and they immediately go flat to the shape of the wing.

Pulling up to the fuel pump after my Angel Flight delivery of hospital supplies/PPE's today, we met the Boldmethod guys in their beautiful blue and silver SR23TT Clorox bottle. They had one of the large orange fuel mats you can get from Sporty's or AS. After fueling he was struggling to fold it up some way to stow it in the back. My $10 Amazon baking mat doesn't have that problem. 

• Haha 1

I looked at the Amazon mats, and also did some digging around regarding different rubber materials.  Silicone was stated not to have good resistance to fuels based on what I saw.  I am a novice as to rubber chemistry.  Seems you would want good fuel resistance, antistatic, inflammable or flame resistant,  perhaps about 1/8" thick or less, adherence to metals (will not slip off wing), and light but not too light to be blown around.  Any rubber chemists around here?

John Breda

46 minutes ago, bradp said:

I see your amazon mat and raise you 3x $2 dollar store cutting boards. 

I'll raise you the 6-year-old, razor sharp Swiss Army knife in my pocket right now to cut it with . . . . . 

• Like 1

https://www.shinetsusilicone-global.com/catalog/pdf/rubber_e.pdf

Silicone makes an interesting polymer... like carbon chains, it’s has the ability to connect to four other atoms...

making it possible to have Si based life forms in place of carbon based life forms.... unfortunately.... those beings would weigh twice as much as similar humans...

28g vs 12g per mole... mw of Si vs C...

As far as thermal and electrical resistance... Silicone often gets these attributes compounded in... iron oxide is the typical additive for Very high temp silicone rubber...

Carbon black is the typical additive for improving electrical grounding...

As far as solubility or dissolving in gasoline... Silicone is not very resistant to gas.  It’s resistance isn’t very high, but it looks like it will absorb the gas in its polymeric structure and will swell in volume...

Expect that it will take lots of time to have that happen... be ready to wipe it off to not turn your new mat into a wavy flammable potato chip...  :)

PP thoughts only, not a polymer chemist...

Best regards,

-a- 

@Vance Harral, great conversation starter. I fuel my J and continually find myself carefully putting my fuel caps on the wing next to the hole, which I am sure is damaging paint on the wing and cap.

Off-topic but I stumbled onto a post regarding protecting wings during annual with carpet. That prompted me to buy several 9' carpet runners to place on each wing and elevator during annual to keep tools, screws, and other annual related items in a convenient location while protecting the paint.

Back on topic, my first thoughts after reading your first post was about using grill mats--https://www.amazon.com/CHERAINTI-Grill-Mat-Non-Stick-Resistant/dp/B071RRCLMF/ref=sr_1_5?crid=32QJJO9A73ID8&dchild=1&keywords=bbq+baking+mats&qid=1589428099&s=home-garden&sprefix=bbq+baking+%2Cgarden%2C188&sr=1-5--such as this. I have smaller mats at home and they are thin, temperature stable and resilient to grease. They are light, easy to clean and roll up for easy storage. Thanks to @carusoam, I'll have to investigate the grill mats electrical and fuel absorption properties but they sure look like an electrical insulator to me.

13 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

The mats @Vance Harral suggested. I'll be fueling shortly and report back.

IMG_4178.thumb.jpeg.e1c88d2724a3b1e3bed0372c54383471.jpeg

IMG_4179.thumb.jpeg.72963466ce40223f02ad8062fc285f7e.jpeg

11 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

Here’s my fuel mat.  

Fjord Aviation Products

Model AFP-183a, 18”x36”

1 800 880-3535

www.fjordav.com

I like this dimension as it covers the leading edge. Multiple colors available.

1B20979A-6D08-4E98-A6E5-AA2A9230BFE4.jpeg

@gsxrpilot and @MooneyMitch, nice pictures of products you find valuable. Wouldn't rotating your mats 180° also help with spillage? It's been my accidental over exuberance in getting every last drop in the tank that I've observed that fuel flows towards the tail when the tank is overfilled. 

Edited by jonhop
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, jonhop said:

@Vance Harral, great conversation starter. I fuel my J and continually find myself carefully putting my fuel caps on the wing next to the hole, which I am sure is damaging paint on the wing and cap.

Off-topic but I stumbled onto a post regarding protecting wings during annual with carpet. That prompted me to buy several 9' carpet runners to place on each wing and elevator during annual to keep tools, screws, and other annual related items in a convenient location while protecting the paint.

Back on topic, my first thoughts after reading your first post was about using grill mats--https://www.amazon.com/CHERAINTI-Grill-Mat-Non-Stick-Resistant/dp/B071RRCLMF/ref=sr_1_5?crid=32QJJO9A73ID8&dchild=1&keywords=bbq+baking+mats&qid=1589428099&s=home-garden&sprefix=bbq+baking+%2Cgarden%2C188&sr=1-5--such as this. I have smaller mats at home and they are thin, temperature stable and resilient to grease. They are light, easy to clean and roll up for easy storage. Thanks to @carusoam, I'll have to investigate the grill mats electrical and fuel absorption properties but they sure look like an electrical insulator to me.

@gsxrpilot and @MooneyMitch, nice pictures of products you find valuable. Wouldn't rotating your mats 180° also help with spillage? It's been my accidental over exuberance in getting every last drop in the tank that I've observed that fuel flows towards the tail when the tank is overfilled. 

Thank you for your thoughts.

My reason for the mat is to protect paint from accidental scratches/dents, etc. from nozzle.

I chose the 36” length in order to prevent the fueling hose from accidentaly rubbing on the leading edge.

Just my little self imposed rule, I never place any item on my wings during maintenance or otherwise.  

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 12:40 AM, MooneyMitch said:

Thank you for your thoughts.

My reason for the mat is to protect paint from accidental scratches/dents, etc. from nozzle.

I chose the 36” length in order to prevent the fueling hose from accidentaly rubbing on the leading edge.

Just my little self imposed rule, I never place any item on my wings during maintenance or otherwise.  

You want to get some Moving Quilts to cover the wings when working on the plane.  Protects wings and keeps tools nearby.  Can be purchased inexpensively on e-bay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Packs-of-Heavy-Duty-Deluxe-Eco-Quilted-80-x-72-Storage-Furniture-Moving-Blankets/192865134004?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2ce7a865b4:m:myocU-Ys_p3r9UG5kRQjrWg&enc=AQAEAAACYIQvEcHUrT7nmUC3yY5qbPyaBN1nJEDYW8MyypsJPgXK4PLYVaIgu9w9Os2XtDHJeofFM1z0p75Tx%2FKzJZU9f5AzuBf43VTrWWFsLkZg2JVKkL9qTaHcfKj0WsP6EkOCFNJKDyBDU2KJoMyQ4MrX4%2FMequNeWxGtF8QDIgDndzeYyEcusNAchmmaoV5V9f6I1NepFXDTiBa6tO8zJnN8wVTg8q8a5HE0%2FK9hPNQ9WlH4sCx7kSmgHyOgIlBb8OjlXFtspVs2G82zeLNanfHd62JE276s5thTLiECv0nRloBimucLUuTOjn8Eq6DmILafNlrVqJlRD%2BuXQIVdDwo6ZlJiaOZwdMp5c%2FN6ATiVu%2BWOgv1XKqc3NUA5NVeAKh4dHsxl743fShzG%2FI%2B%2FzVN7eaksFE3WstyaHWeekArxiIXFd%2FdhOc%2FFWZ0ixrxHIEKZnk8qIby7Jul%2Fah3GPG09dfiZI2MEypqNd40VxWUVanF9%2F7olAiPfL%2Fp8UIH8gsTHDyEVMIU0Bb75gnWj9n1P8q95CB1bbYqhU5sy9RHDyOJjzc2GTEFCuzQ1%2FfBzNc7XIcq7QnSmlk3Tgf3tJwKu6KLT7IOPdcMP2DSJN2VfqaMQ0Tz2g63GVquyrcIMCqDMJWao1Fy5oxnzMVoB9XtkyYGsgTyRY%2BvHKu39CLSkrq9AV96IrFhWVj3IPDlzG1NburzmU9rxQVLM8mKDBFQQ8V5q%2FmOsLEwwNHivUcBWOJGMk6JiN13Qab%2Bf1bjO20QWOSe5Nar%2FNQivCHn0cix49B1n8hMl5uX4CTolO2I266d8&checksum=19286513400499f0df40295042f7b8ee2e9300c55fb6

John Breda

1 hour ago, M20F-1968 said:

You want to get some Moving Quilts to cover the wings when working on the plane.  Protects wings and keeps tools nearby.  Can be purchased inexpensively on e-bay.

Just need a good way to store two at the hangar. My last several moves, the drivers have donated one or two, I have a large box full in the garage. May still have an empty small box, just not sure how small the quilts will fold.