Dual Mag Part Number Suffix?

I came across a Dual mag for IO-360A3B6D that is almost identical to one I have on my Mooney.  The only difference is the magneto part number.  Picture below is from my M20E.  While my mag is still working, you can tell it had seen better days.  :)  The part number on my is 10-682555-15 and the one I'm considering to acquire is 10-682555-11.  Any one know the difference due to the last digits in the part number?  I do know the donor mag also came from a IO-360A3B6D and a Mooney as well. 

Thanks

20191130_114507 (2) copy.jpg

Simple question...

What would you buy a second set of mags for?

OH them, then set them on a shelf for years (500hrs of the original mags).... while you use the existing mags...

Many MSers have interesting spares sitting in the hangar... lots of dust gets collected on them...

Many are waiting for the day an electronic mag is available for their dual mag set-up... (could be days away...)

PP wonderment only, not supplying any direction...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

I'm confused...shouldn't an M20E have an IO-360-A1A?    Those don't have dual mags.   What engine do you have installed in your airplane?

My E had transplant engine from a J.  So, IO-360A3B6D is what she got under hood.  

58 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Simple question...

What would you buy a second set of mags for?

OH them, then set them on a shelf for years (500hrs of the original mags).... while you use the existing mags...

Many MSers have interesting spares sitting in the hangar... lots of dust gets collected on them...

Many are waiting for the day an electronic mag is available for their dual mag set-up... (could be days away...)

PP wonderment only, not supplying any direction...

Best regards,

-a-

I like carry spare mag in my airplane!!  J/K.  

My is coming in 300 hours since last OH.  It is only a matter of time I will need to OH again.  The idea of having a spare to swap out without downtime sounded like a good idea.  I'm not waiting for electronic mag. IMHO, the market for electronic dual mag is too small for the mfg to bother with the STC.  

8 minutes ago, corn_flake said:

@carusoam Any name you can think of?  Are they here on MS?  I seen prop guy, insurance guy, etc.  I wouldn't be surprised if we have a mag OHer hanging out here as well.  :) 

Flake,

I was hoping to have that answer for you...

Unfortunately, the best I recall is a name known as the guy DMax sends his mags to....

Wait a bit, somebody will give a good recommendation....

Kind of surprising their isn’t a mag guy on MS....

Mags are complex, but not magical...

Best regards,

-a-

@N201MKTurbo  Thank you.  I spent hours and my Google-fu has failed me.  I'm reading thought the PDF now.  The initial question I'm trying to answer is "Aren't all Mag timing adjustable by rotating the housing?"  I'm a surprised timing difference requires two part number.  In any case, I'm sure the answer is in the PDF some where.  

thanks again!

2 minutes ago, corn_flake said:

@N201MKTurbo  Thank you.  I spent hours and my Google-fu has failed me.  I'm reading thought the PDF now.  The initial question I'm trying to answer is "Aren't all Mag timing adjustable by rotating the housing?"  I'm a surprised timing difference requires two part number.  In any case, I'm sure the answer is in the PDF some where.  

thanks again!

The retard has to do with the impulse coupling. It fires the mag at TDC while starting. The retard from the timed advance to get it to TDC is different if you time your engine to 25 or 20 degrees.

A couple of reasons come to mind...

1) Expect some twins to have counter-rotating props... everything runs backwards on the odd engine...

2) Some Russian built planes Did the same... turned the opposite direction...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

And some Continental engines mount the magnetos backwards, and if the gears in the accessory case are different they could rotate the other way.   You just have to match the mag rotation to the particular engine.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, corn_flake said:

Thanks!  I'm learning more than I want to know.  :)

While looking at the part listing, I noticed all impulse coupling are CCW except -14 and -16.  What application would use CW impulse coupling?   

Untitled.png

The Piper PA44 Seminole and PA31 Navajo used counter rotating engines.

Clarence