Its ALWAYS something!!!!

DaveMC

Hello all,

There I am launched out of my home base and just got my IFR clearance (can't get them on the ground by radio) get my assigined altitude and heading. I establish my heading and climb while in VMC.  Dial it into my G500 and engage my auto pilot and BAM I get the failure pictured below and the autopilot shuts off.  So. not wanting to go into a HARD IFR situation with "something" wrong I bagged the trip and landed at the neighboring  airport that has an avionics shop.  Did a quick check and everything seemed ok so tried it again and had failure at the moment of engaging the autopilot.  

Called the shop the installed and they emphatically stated that It was most likely that I needed a new temp probe. GTP 59.. explanation was that because TAS and SAT are Xed out the flight computer sends that as a failure to the GAD43 and that shuts down the autopilot.  Interestingly, I had noticed on the previous several flights aft the Garmin temp probe has given a very different reading that the other two (last picture) and it seemed to vary more at more extreme tempreatures.

Any smart guys here confirm the shops statement.  seems silly that a lil ol temp probe failure would turn off the autopilot.  not that Im complaining cuz it that all it is then that is a much more inexpensive fix.

any help appreciated.

IMG_4499.thumb.jpeg.ec57ebae5a5e470481888fce40726c1f.jpegIMG_4500.thumb.jpeg.de4f28da1c6bd72c1e5fd7ed5f01dfbf.jpeg

IMG_4053.thumb.jpeg.48e29073d5c3577ea738477d2ffd7ab1.jpeg

Expect temp is part of the TAS calculation...

I haven’t had an OAT failure in 20 years... so... I’m not sure I would be buying a back-up... or second device for that...

I haven’t had a failed EGT or CHT yet either.... they are more common failures...

I oriented your pic... because I can... :)

Trek Lawler is a good contact for Garmin Questions...

PP thoughts only not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

F1FDDE29-AD94-42EC-B05F-E78BFFF98158.jpeg

13 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I’d say you’re pretty fortunate to have an avionics shop smart enough to figure that out and tell you on the phone.

I can’t even get my avionics shop to answer the phone . . . Seriously.

Sarasota Avionics.... they are the bomb 

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Expect temp is part of the TAS calculation...

I haven’t had an OAT failure in 20 years... so... I’m not sure I would be buying a back-up... or second device for that...

I haven’t had a failed EGT or CHT yet either.... they are more common failures...

I oriented your pic... because I can... :)

Trek Lawler is a good contact for Garmin Questions...

PP thoughts only not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

F1FDDE29-AD94-42EC-B05F-E78BFFF98158.jpeg

yeah  He was pretty certain and even told me where to get one.  I interestingly enough once the temp probe was disconnected and a on the ground test was run the failure was identical.  we will see when a new one gets installed 

• Like 1