San Fran bay tour

4 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Been flying the Bay Area for decades but never flew the “Bay Tour”. Coming from the north what route would I expect?

-Robert 

Someone else will be along to give you a better answer, but I did it once 15 years ago and they gave us an altitude to remain below and headings/landmarks to fly over.  It was like “vectors” but a bit looser.  Of course I was in a 2 ship of F-15Es, so your mileage may vary.

From the south, they used to issue a clearance to stay at say 2500 feet and west and south of HWY 101.  Once you passed SFO and the hill next to it, they allowed lower altitudes.

Nowadays with the new map of Bravo, you can easily ask for flight following and get there without a Bravo clearance.  Take a look at  Flyaway map on Foreflight.  It shows what I use now.

Driver

• Like 1

Want a free chart from the FAA?

They have a San Fran TAC that has all the details of the bay tour...

But you probably need to be more adept than I am at finding digital stuff...

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/productcatalog/vfrcharts/terminalarea/

-a-

An example of how WingX includes some of the details of the TAC in the VFR chart...

3D0012DD-958A-4EAB-AF8A-BF434301EDE6.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Want a free chart from the FAA?

They have a San Fran TAC that has all the details of the bay tour...

But you probably need to be more adept than I am at finding digital stuff...

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/productcatalog/vfrcharts/terminalarea/

-a-

An example of how WingX includes some of the details of the TAC in the VFR chart...

3D0012DD-958A-4EAB-AF8A-BF434301EDE6.png

That looks more like a route to transition without a clearance, like a fly way. The bay tour is something the controllers issue  (inlcudjng clearing you into the class B. ) so you can enjoy the view. 

-Robert 

• Like 1

Robert,

There were some trails in the records from an FAA training about two years ago...

there is probably a two page document that includes altitudes and frequencies to be best prepared...

We have one for transitioning NYC out here... with ATC... things are better, higher altitude...  sans ATC can be a maelstrom... lots of helicopters, usually... (pre-corona..)

The NYC one is a two page explanation, including the TAC chart... frequencies, altitudes, reporting points... the usual...

Best regards,

-a-

It's really easy, just let NorCal know you want the Bay Tour, they'll give you a simple instruction: Stay North and West of the Bay Bridge, usually below 2000 ft, clear of the Bravo.  From there you can go wherever you want, over the city, Golden Gate, Alcatraz etc.  You can also do it without talking with anyone and just stay out of the airspace, but it's good to have flight following for this IMHO.  NorCal is super friendly in my experience and will let you know if you're about to go anywhere they don't want you to be.  When you're done just let them know you're leaving and where you're headed to (if you want flight following). 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, bfreelove said:

It's really easy, just let NorCal know you want the Bay Tour, they'll give you a simple instruction: Stay North and West of the Bay Bridge, usually below 2000 ft, clear of the Bravo.  From there you can go wherever you want, over the city, Golden Gate, Alcatraz etc.  You can also do it without talking with anyone and just stay out of the airspace, but it's good to have flight following for this IMHO.  NorCal is super friendly in my experience and will let you know if you're about to go anywhere they don't want you to be.  When you're done just let them know you're leaving and where you're headed to (if you want flight following). 

Could not have said it any better! !  !  It’s a piece of cake.  Or pie (I like pie)

• Like 3

I did the Bay tour the as my first flight after I got my ticket.  Exact as bfreelove said, let the nor cal approach know you want a bay tour, they will vector you all the through the tour.   Since they will keep you low, it may be best not to visit on a hot day.  

Could not have said it any better! !  !  It’s a piece of cake.  Or pie (I like pie)

When blocking out of KOAK early and VFR, I try to give the pax on the left side a treat and Approach almost always says yes. Off 30 stay just left of Treasure Island, left abeam Alcatraz and depart Golden Gate heading 210.

It seems Bay Approach gets a bad rap, as many big city controllers do. Study up, pay attention, don’t be a “lid” and they’ll respond in kind.