Upgraded My Panel

I finally got my plane back after the avionics upgrade. 

This is my panel prior to the upgrade:

20200223_184933788_iOS.thumb.jpg.ff73385c07c32fa0baf3e7bb43b1f117.jpg

Here is the scary midpoint of the upgrade...It was quite unnerving seeing the panel in pieces and I was wondering if they could put it back together:

20200311_143547031_iOS.thumb.jpg.522200fd565b412078e4bbaa0dc54570.jpg

Luckily for me, they knew what they were doing and here is the panel today when I picked it up:

20200508_222558764_iOS.thumb.jpg.a664ad39256928f7a281a768d1aecef4.jpg

The upgrade was precipitated by a failed KI256 during an IFR flight late last year.  After much research and a pause due to the release of the GI 275 earlier this year (I briefly contemplated 2 GI 275s instead of the Aspen but opted to go with the Aspen unit and a GI 275 as backup as I felt the presentation and features on the Aspen were more complete and fit my flying better - and since the G5 was not TSO'd as a backup and would need a field approval which I did not want to risk during these uncertain times). 

The KI 256, KI525, RC Allen backup AI, magnetometer, KCS55A remote gyro, vacuum pump and electric backup vacuum pump and related wiring came out.  This was replaced with the Aspen Pro Max with an EA100 for interfacing directly to the KFC150 and a GI 275 backup ADI .  I also upgraded the 430 to WAAS to better talk to the GNS530W. This install saved 27 lbs!! 

• Like 6

Mooneyspace members are doing a hellava job improving the fleet, as the process evolves comparisons to other brands seems futile. Solid sleek efficient fast technologically improved frames are tough to beat. Line up the competition do a complete evaluation our product it tough to beat. Take Bob’s E, Chris’s F Don K’s M many others the cross section and diversity of the fleet is awesome. Only if the company knew how to effectively advertise the greatness of the fleet they most likely wouldn’t be in dire straights. We need a few companies to take tired Mooney’s and properly upgrade sell at appropriate price points the sit back and watch them takeoff.

Take Bob’s E compare to a SR20 including price point there is no comparison, do this from model to model you get the picture.

As Anthony says GO MOONEY

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, CharlesHuddleston said:

wondering what your placard says under the transponder regarding the 430 and 530?

It’s really a cover for a hole in the panel.  The placard says GNS 530 & GNS 430 GPS systems approved for IFR use enroute, terminal use, and for Non-Precision Approaches

I was confused when I first saw it and checked the logs for any limitations until I realized that GPS approaches are non-precision approaches!  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Upgraded panel looks great. My 97 J has a similar “before” panel.  Is the bulb burned out in your clock?  I flew with mine out for  10 years before discovering it was supposed to light up

F2BC4ABA-C8A6-4233-8257-8CB6F92EB275.jpeg

44 minutes ago, amillet said:

Is the bulb burned out in your clock?

Hi Alan.  Thank you!

Re: the clock...maybe?  My panel lighting was off in the picture but am not sure if it lights up when I turn panel lights on (not too many night flights lately).  Now I’m curious and I’ll have to go to the airport to try it... 

In your panel, did you replace the clock or was there a bulb to change?