The Coronavirus J-barred me!

My first internet search... AOL in the 90s... connected by a telephone....

What makes a steam locomotive engine ‘chug’... :)

You can hear the sound when it happens but visibly it is not related to what is going on outside...

I don’t think I ever found the answer...

Best regards,

-a-

Wild guess at what the chugging sound is: inrush of steam to cylinder when the cutoff valve is set for full-stroke inlet while pulling off from a start? As the train speeds up and the wheels turn faster, the position moves quicker, so the duration starts as long gasping chugs, then progresses to shorter faster chirps as the valve timing is advanced?

Completely guessing, here.

11 minutes ago, ShuRugal said:

Wild guess at what the chugging sound is: inrush of steam to cylinder when the cutoff valve is set for full-stroke inlet while pulling off from a start? As the train speeds up and the wheels turn faster, the position moves quicker, so the duration starts as long gasping chugs, then progresses to shorter faster chirps as the valve timing is advanced?

Completely guessing, here.

You are pretty close.

With the Johnson bar full forward, it will admit full pressure steam for the whole stroke of the piston. This does not let the steam expand, so when the exhaust port opens it exhausts full pressure steam with a loud “Choo”. 

This situation produces a huge torque at the expense of wasting a huge amount of steam. This setting is used for pulling away from the station and climbing steep grades. Once the locomotive gets going, the Johnson bar is pulled back, reducing the amount of stroke where steam is admitted, reducing the choo choo sound and the amount of steam needed to Keep the train going. Usually this reduction is done at full throttle, so full boiler pressure is applied to the valves. The fireman will try to keep the boiler pressure just below the relief valve pressure, or sometimes venting steam out of the relief valve. For the fastest speed.  

• Thanks 1

Wasn't there some kinda Frankenstein Mooney long body creation that had a J bar?  I think flying in Australia or South Africa or something?  I kinda recall a thread on it quite a while back.

There needs to be an STC that can convert the modern planes to manual gear - the system is way cooler than having cupholders and armrests.  

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 12:02 AM, DXB said:

Wasn't there some kinda Frankenstein Mooney long body creation that had a J bar?  I think flying in Australia or South Africa or something?  I kinda recall a thread on it quite a while back.

There needs to be an STC that can convert the modern planes to manual gear - the system is way cooler than having cupholders and armrests.  

Sounds great!  I'd give up cupholders and armrests for the reliability of the manual gear... 'course I'm nowhere near affording one of those long-body mooneys, so it wouldn't help me, but its nice to dream.